Transition from beginner's method to CFOP

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by makmayo845, Nov 17, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. makmayo845

makmayo845 Member

Nov 17, 2017
    So I bought a Weilong GTS V2 a couple days ago and with that, I decided that I wanted to transition from the beginner's method to a speedsolving method. I researched a bit (10 minutes, lol) and figured I want to learn CFOP. So, I learned intuitive F2L and I don't know what to learn next. Should I learn all the F2L algorithms or just the ones dealing with complex cases? Or maybe learn 2-look OLL or 2-look PLL?

2. greentgoatgal

greentgoatgal Member

Feb 6, 2017
    NC
    Stick with intuitive F2L and learn 2 look PLL, then 2 look OLL. And then learn some algorithms for harder F2L cases.

Duncan Bannon and makmayo845 like this.
  3. Oatch

Oatch Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Australia
    With intuitive F2L, it should be enough to solve any F2L case (although perhaps not the most efficient solution). I'd only start aiming to optimise the trickier F2L cases with algs after you learn some LL algs (4LLL is a good start). When you do have a look through the F2L algs eventually, see if your intuitive solution for the case matches the alg, or at least has the same movecount to maximise your F2L efficiency.

4. makmayo845

makmayo845 Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Thanks so much to both of you guys!

5. Solvador Cubi

Solvador Cubi Member

May 4, 2016
    USA
    makmayo845,

Here's the sheet I made that I pass on to folks I'm telling about 4LLL.

http://solvexio.cf/app/#/FIXLL_OnePage

My goal was to have the fewest number of algorithms to memorize.
    It uses only 9 main algs to complete the last layer in 4 steps and since it's only about the last layer it lets the solver "bring your own F2L", if you will :)

-= Solvador Cubi

6. Zerksies

Zerksies Member

Jul 6, 2017
    New Jersey
    Stick with intuitive there is really like only 3 cases to learn. Start learning PLL