• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

To learn COLL & WV both?

Should I?

• Total voters

PsyRaf

YouTube
Visit Channel
Which one in your opinion's better? I am a ZZ (sub 27) user. And i know 75% of the COLL. Should i learn WV as well after learning COLL? Wouldn't that make my solves a bit confusing?

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Finish learning COLL, since you're almost there anyway.

With WV, it's worth knowing about a third of it (and be able to mirror to the back) but I don't think knowing the whole of WV is worth the effort.

Everyone should at the very least be able to recognise when to do U R U2 R' instead of R U' R'. It's also helpful to be able to recognise other Sune cancellations like R U R' U' R U' R' and U R U' R' U R U2 R'. There's the case with everything except the pair oriented, L' U2 R U R' U2 L, which is so easy to recognise. Lastly there are cases like U' L' U R U' M' x' and R2 U' L' U R' U' M' x' and R2 D R' U' R D' R2 which are quite short and easy, especially if you think of them as 2 move setups to a normal insert.

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should finish COLL and then learn the 3CO and 2CO cases for WV. I'm sub 16 with ZZ on a good day and it works for me. It does take some practice to know when to do what, though. If you know the WV and the pair is made, do it, if it flows nicely with the rest of you ZZF2L, do it. If the alg is just canceling into a Sune, do it.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's pretty useful to know them all but some just aren't worth it (like diagT, doing standard OLL to adjacent swap PLL is better than a bad alg to Z perm)
My diagT algs are nice...
R D' (R U' R') U2 (R U' R') D R' U2 (R U R') - 15H/17Q, 1.13s
(R U R' U') (R U R2') D' (R U' R') D R U2 (R U' R') - 17H/19Q, 1.27s
(Rw2 U R' U') (L' U Lw F') (U R' U') (L' U Lw F') - 15H/16Q, 1.47s
If a bit long, they can all be executed pretty quickly.

I think full COLL is more useful that WV, but some of the basic Winter case, like @AlphaSheep said, are just so easy that they should be learned.