• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Have you ever heard about the "Free insertion club"?
Scramble: R' U' F L2 R2 U F2 R2 B2 L2 U' R2 U' F L D2 L2 R' D2 F' L U2 F R' U' F
26:
U2 F // 2P (2)
(L' B) // EO (4)
(R2 U L' D2 R2) // 222+221 (9)
(L' U L U') // 221+223 (13)
(L R B2 L R' U2 B2) // Edge Permutation to L4C (20)

Skeleton:
U2 F B2 U2 L' R B2 L' + R' / U L' U' L R2 D2 L U' R2 B' L

Insert at:
/ R2 U L' U' R2 U L U' (Cancels 9) Epic Insertion!! (19)
+ D2 R' U' R D2 R' U R (Cancels 1) (26)

Final Solution (26):
U2 F B2 U2 L' R B2 L' D2 R' U' R D2 R' U R2 U L' U' L D2 L U' R2 B' L
You can interpret the "free insertion" as part of your skeleton:

Scramble: R' U' F L2 R2 U F2 R2 B2 L2 U' R2 U' F L D2 L2 R' D2 F' L U2 F R' U' F
26:
U2 F // 2P (2)
(L' B) // EO (4)
(R2 U L' D2) // 2*221 (8)
(L' U L U' L2 R2) // almost an f2l-1 (14)
(L' R B2 L R' U2 B2)//3C (21-2)

Duncan Bannon

If you don’t mind. Could you explain a “free insertion?” Thanks!

Edit- Wait is that where it cancels all the moves? If so wouldn’t there be no “insertion” in the first place. Because you wouldn’t add any moves to change outcome of solution.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I have a few quick question regarding insertions which are: During a solve after you have your skeleton and you have a few corners left that insertions can fix, how do you know what commutator/s to use, without learning any algs? and what is the best way to learn how to set up the corners in the right orientation?

I know how insertions work, what is does, and I have watched a lot of videos on it, but I can not seem to figure out how to execute the insertions in the right way, or know what to execute/set up when I get to the insertions. I know that a PLL Aperm rotates three corners, but those corners are already in the right orientation due to OLL, and not flipped like a Sune case with only the corners left.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all help.

Robert Marik

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a few quick question regarding insertions which are: During a solve after you have your skeleton and you have a few corners left that insertions can fix, how do you know what commutator/s to use, without learning any algs? and what is the best way to learn how to set up the corners in the right orientation?

I know how insertions work, what is does, and I have watched a lot of videos on it, but I can not seem to figure out how to execute the insertions in the right way, or know what to execute/set up when I get to the insertions. I know that a PLL Aperm rotates three corners, but those corners are already in the right orientation due to OLL, and not flipped like a Sune case with only the corners left.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all help.
I learned 3-corners commutators from https://www.ryanheise.com/cube/corner_3_cycles.html
Sometimes it is better to reverse the cycle, i.e. sometimes it is better to use commutator X Y X^(-1) Y^(-1) where X is one move and Y three moves.

More precisely, the scramble D' R U' R' D R U R' can be solved with the commutator
R U' R' + D' + R U R' + D and also with the commutator D + B U2 B' + D' + B U2 B'

Do not learn these sequences as algs. Instead note how the pieces in the D face move in the first and in the second case and also learn what the remaining three moves do with one of these pieces (in D face again).

Last edited:

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I did two FMC solves yesterday and both I am happy with, and although the second one has a high move count I was happy with it because it was the first solve that I fully knew how to do insertions (or at least as best as I could :)).

I put the solves in spoilers because the first one is for the weekly FMC competition on this website https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~dadams/fmc/ And the second solve is for this weeks "weekly competition 2018-14" and in case you for some reason did not want to see others results I have them in the spoilers.

For both solve, but especially the second I am looking for any tips or thoughts that you have for me to improve on for the next solves, or that I could have done better in the listed solves. I know that the second solve could have been much better, but since I was running out of time, I did not want to spend to much time on insertions and then DNF the solve.

Scramble: U F2 R2 L U' F2 B2 U' L2 R2 D' B' F2 U' B F2 U' D2 R' U'

U2 B2 L' U' L D2 L' U L2 U2 L' R U' R'//2X2X3 14/14
U B U B'//F2L-1 4/18
U2 L U L' U2 L U' L'//AB3C 8/26
F R F' L F R' F' L'//L3C 8/34

Final solution: U2 B2 L' U' L D2 L' U L2 U2 L' R U' R' U B U B' U2 L U L' U2 L U' L' F R F' L F R' F' L' (34 moves)

Scramble: R' U' F U B L' B2 U F R' U' L B L2 B2 D B2 D F2 R2 U' F2 D F2 R' U' F

B L' D L @ B' U' R2 B R B' F2 L D L D' F' L B' L' B//F2L-1 20/20
R' D' R D2//AB3C 4/24
F' U' F D' F' U F D2 B D' F D B' D' F'//L3C 15/39

@ Insert at - L U2 R2 U L U' R2 U L' U L' Cancels 1 move at least :D

Final Solution: B L' D L2 U2 R2 U L U' R2 U L' U L' B' U' R2 B R B' F2 L D L D' F' L B' L' B R' D' R D2 F' U' F D' F' U F D2 B D' F D B' D' F' (49 moves)

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help with this. I really appreciate it.

Duncan Bannon

I was working on a solution for the FMC race thread I started.
Scramble: R' U' F B' D2 B' R2 B' U2 R2 B F2 U2 F' L' R B L2 U' F2 U' R2 F R' U' F
Inverse: F' U R F' R2 U F2 U L2 B' R' L F U2 F2 B' R2 U2 B R2 B D2 B F' U R

(D2 B2 L' D F U')-2X2X2 6/6
B D R B' D -2X2X3 5/11

R' B' R2 B2- Pheudo F2L-1 4/15

However when doing a U premove then doing my solution To get a normal F2L-1. (U') (U F' D' L B2 D2) (Normal Scramble) then (B D R B' D R' B' R2)it doesn't leave F2L-1. Why? Thanks!

TheDubDubJr

Cupcake
WCA
2011WELC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just letting everyone here on Speedsolving know.

We have a FMC Facebook Group (link below) and we are starting a FMC Double Elimination Knockout Tournament in that group.

To get entry into the Tournament, join the group and an FMC on the scramble posted. Then submit it to the Google Forms afterwards. The Deadline for entering the Tournament is Friday, April 20th at 1200 UTC.

All attempts follow WCA Regulations and are a 1 Hour Limit. Each Round Period will last 1 Week where you need to contact your opponent for the next Match and do that Rounds FMC Scramble.

Here is the link to the Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1422080808012720/
You can also find it by typing in "Fewest Moves"

We have 21 People signed up so far!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Just letting everyone here on Speedsolving know.

We have a FMC Facebook Group (link below) and we are starting a FMC Double Elimination Knockout Tournament in that group.

To get entry into the Tournament, join the group and an FMC on the scramble posted. Then submit it to the Google Forms afterwards. The Deadline for entering the Tournament is Friday, April 20th at 1200 UTC.

All attempts follow WCA Regulations and are a 1 Hour Limit. Each Round Period will last 1 Week where you need to contact your opponent for the next Match and do that Rounds FMC Scramble.

Here is the link to the Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1422080808012720/
You can also find it by typing in "Fewest Moves"

We have 21 People signed up so far!
That is a really great idea and I would be interested in joining, but I do not have a Facebook account and I do not think that I will be able to get an account anytime soon.
Plus, I am really bad at FMC at the moment so I would be kick out really fast:p.

But to you and all that compete in it, best of luck with the solves, and hopefully I can improve soon in FMC, and then maybe join.

bubbagrub

WCA
2013COPP01
I was working on a solution for the FMC race thread I started.
Scramble: R' U' F B' D2 B' R2 B' U2 R2 B F2 U2 F' L' R B L2 U' F2 U' R2 F R' U' F

B D R B' D -2X2X3 5/11

However when doing a U premove then doing my solution To get a normal F2L-1. (U') (U F' D' L B2 D2) (Normal Scramble) then (B D R B' D R' B' R2)it doesn't leave F2L-1. Why? Thanks!

Your premove should be B' not U'.

asacuber

WCA
2015SANT44
YouTube
Visit Channel
For this weeks weekly comp, i got a 33 overall PB
I was happy but...
IF gave 27 :eek:
Get this:
my skeleton was 25 moves long
I cant believe i missed it, in fact 27 could have been achieved at 4 consecutive points i the skeleton. im sed :(
On a side note, I was surprised no one used the start I used

Duncan Bannon

B D R B' D -2X2X3 5/11
R B R2 B' R B R' B' U2- AB4C 9/24

I have a premove of B'. How would I write thee right solution for IF? Sorry for the silly question, NISS is fine for me, but with premoves it trips me up. Thanks.

ch_ts

B D R B' D -2X2X3 5/11
R B R2 B' R B R' B' U2- AB4C 9/24

I have a premove of B'. How would I write thee right solution for IF? Sorry for the silly question, NISS is fine for me, but with premoves it trips me up. Thanks.

This is your skeleton:
B D R B' D
R' B' R2 B2
R B R2 B' R B R' B' R2 // (R2 here instead of U2)
B'
U F' D' L B2 D2

Duncan Bannon

This is your skeleton:
B D R B' D
R' B' R2 B2
R B R2 B' R B R' B' R2 // (R2 here instead of U2)
B'
U F' D' L B2 D2
Thank you.

IF saids

B D R B' D R' B' R2 B2 R B R2 B' [@1] R B R' B' R2 B' U F' D' L B2 D2
Insert at @1: F' R B R' F R B' R'
After the 1st insertion: B D R B' D R' B' R2 B2 R B R2 B' F' R B R' F B' R2 B' U F' D' L B2 [@2] D2
Insert at @2: B2 D' F D B2 D' F' D
Fewest moves: 32. 9 moves cancelled
The final solution: B D R B' D R' B' R2 B2 R B R2 B' F' R B R' F B' R2 B' U F' D' L D' F D B2 D' F' D'

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Two quick FMC questions.

1. What is the best way to learn edge insertions? I have at times gotten stuck with a 2 or 3 edge cycle and I am trying to figure out the best to cycle them. I know the 9 move U-perm alg but if I had to take a guess, I would say that there is a more efficient way.

2. What is the best way to flip either 1 or 2 corners? I have gotten a few solves with flipped corners, an the only way that I have fixed it, is by doing 2 corner cycles.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

asacuber

WCA
2015SANT44
YouTube
Visit Channel
Two quick FMC questions.

1. What is the best way to learn edge insertions? I have at times gotten stuck with a 2 or 3 edge cycle and I am trying to figure out the best to cycle them. I know the 9 move U-perm alg but if I had to take a guess, I would say that there is a more efficient way.

2. What is the best way to flip either 1 or 2 corners? I have gotten a few solves with flipped corners, an the only way that I have fixed it, is by doing 2 corner cycles.

1. Even I'm SUPER uncomfortable with edge insertions, and avoid them(except in a case where i may have only L3E left and have nothing else/ really good solution which hasn't happened yet)
However here are a few(i forgot which pieces most of them cycle but hey, at least they work lol)
L R' F2 L' R U2
L R' U2 L' R U2(same as above actually)
R U R U R' U' R' U' R' U AND its inverse, lefty etc
theses are the only one's i know, hope these help! Also @porkynator 's FMC tutorial contains some I believe.

2. sune lefty sune
antisune lefty antisune
R U2 R' L' U' L U' R U' R' L' U2 L U

Hope this helped :D

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Two quick FMC questions.

1. There are a lot of edges 3-cycle that can be useful. M' U2 M U2 is one, but also the 8-movers are nice: R2 Fw2 R2 U R2 Fw2 R2 U and its fat friend R2 Fw2 R2 Uw R2 Fw2 R2 Uw. Also some <R,U> algs are useful.
2. Two corner cycles is the way for twisting 2 or 3 corners. You can use 2 insertions. With the first one, you just pick a cycle that permutes your 2 or 3 corners (plus 1 solved corner if you have only two, it doesn't matter which one). Usually you can cancel a lot with the first insertion. Then you are left with 3 corners, and you just need one insertion.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
1. There are a lot of edges 3-cycle that can be useful. M' U2 M U2 is one, but also the 8-movers are nice: R2 Fw2 R2 U R2 Fw2 R2 U and its fat friend R2 Fw2 R2 Uw R2 Fw2 R2 Uw. Also some <R,U> algs are useful.
2. Two corner cycles is the way for twisting 2 or 3 corners. You can use 2 insertions. With the first one, you just pick a cycle that permutes your 2 or 3 corners (plus 1 solved corner if you have only two, it doesn't matter which one). Usually you can cancel a lot with the first insertion. Then you are left with 3 corners, and you just need one insertion.
Thank you very much for the response and help. I do really appreciate it.

1. Even I'm SUPER uncomfortable with edge insertions, and avoid them(except in a case where i may have only L3E left and have nothing else/ really good solution which hasn't happened yet)
However here are a few(i forgot which pieces most of them cycle but hey, at least they work lol)
L R' F2 L' R U2
L R' U2 L' R U2(same as above actually)
R U R U R' U' R' U' R' U AND its inverse, lefty etc
theses are the only one's i know, hope these help! Also @porkynator 's FMC tutorial contains some I believe.

2. sune lefty sune
antisune lefty antisune
R U2 R' L' U' L U' R U' R' L' U2 L U
Thank you very much as well for your response and help. It does really help, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
R' U' F D' R B2 L' D2 B2 L2 R' F R' U2 F' L U' B2 F2 D2 R' U' F

F2 L F2//setup (3/3)
L2 B//EO+square (2/5)
R D'//2x2x2 (2/7)
L2 U2//square (2/9)
L2 U L U'//another square (4/13)
F2 L' U'//5C (3/16)

cool 5C skeleton, but the insertions were poor, optimal was 4 cancel nested in a 1 cancel :/

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Two quick FMC questions.

Also, if you have an X-corner 3 edge skeleton, you can insert sexy, or variations of it, try to cancel some moves, and see how that effects the unsolved corners. Usually you can cancel at least 1 move this way, so you solve three edges with 3 moves, and then you are only left with corners to solve.

TheDubDubJr

Cupcake
WCA
2011WELC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Two quick FMC questions.

Sebastiano mentioned most useful algs for Edge insertions, especially the M' U2 M U2 as they are 6 movers and can lead to the better solutions when you find those positions.

Other cool things to keep in mind on Edge insertions. (Some of these might be pretty advanced but just want to post all edge insertions I know)

1. [6 Moves] M' U2 M U2 rewritten to R' L F2 R L' U2. Keep in mind that R' L do not effect the edges so you can shift either of them to the front or back to possibly cancel more. (Ex. R' F2 R L' U2 L, F2 R L' U2 L R', and R' L F2 R L' U2 are all same)
(#2, 3, and 4 all do the exact same case. Also keep in mind inverse cases for these)
2. [8 Moves] Sebastiano's R2 Fw2 R2 U R2 Fw2 R2 U can be rewritten as R2 B2 L2 D L2 B2 R2 U. Same cyclic shift for moves can be applied since R2 B2 don't effect the edges yet. (Ex. R2 B2 L2 D L2 B2 R2 U same as L2 D L2 B2 R2 U R2 B2 and as B2 L2 D L2 B2 R2 U R2)
3. [8 Moves] Another similar one is R2 B2 L2 U B2 R2 F2 D. Same shifts can be done for first 2 moves. (Ex. R2 B2 L2 U B2 R2 F2 D same as B2 L2 U B2 R2 F2 D R2 and as L2 U B2 R2 F2 D R2 B2)
4. [8 Moves] Similar still is L2 B2 R2 D R2 B2 L2 U although this time no shifts are possible since the edges are changed with the first move of L2.
5. [10 Moves] R' U' R' U' R' U R U R U swaps UR-FR-UB. I initially learned this as an F2L case (Shout out to Brest) but later as a type of 2gen edge insertions to look out for.
6. [10 Moves] U L D R F R' D' L' U' F' changes UR-FR-FU. This one is very strange but just think of it as doing all the moves around a face, then moving that face, then inverse of everything.
7. [10 Moves] U' R U M2 U' R' U M2, finally just the normal 10 movers where a Slice move (M2) is the 1 move interchange. Keep in mind other normal 10 movers where the slice move is a part of the swap (Ex. R' E R U' R' E' R U)

For Multiple Edges
Make sure you know R2 U2 R2 U2 R2 U2 and D2 L2 U2 L2 D2 R2 (plus variations and shifts of the 2nd one).

@cubeshepherd Question 2. Sebastiano mentioned the best way which is doing a 3 corner commutator involving all twisted corners. If it is only 2 twisted corners then just involve any other corner for the 3rd corner of the commutator. Because you have so much flexibility on these insertions and corners, usually you can cancel a lot on the first insertion (5 or 6 cancellation) then it leads to a normal Last 3 Corners case.