• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

BenThePerson1

Last weekend, I got an official 23 move solution at Please Be Quiet WPI

Scramble: R' U' F U' B2 R2 D' B2 D2 U' B2 L2 R D2 U2 B U2 B U L2 B R' U2 F R' U' F

inv.
U' R' // 2x2x1
F' B R' B2 // 2x2x2
U B L2 B' L // 2x2x3
L' U2 L // EO
U2 F U2 F U' // a bunch of pieces

Skeleton: U F' U2 F' U2 L' [@1] U2 B L2 B' U' B2 R B' F R U

Insert at [@1]: B D B' [@2] U2 B D' B'
Insert at [@2]: B Dw2 D2 B' U2 B Dw2 D2 B' U2

Final solution: U F' U2 F' U2 L' B Dw2 D' B' U2 B Dw2 D L2 B' U' B2 R B' F R U

Last edited:

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
this is my first time on the FMC thread, as well as one of the first few days of my endeavour into FMC.
What I'm wondering if anyone has an algorithms of the most move-optimal PLL's, especially H and Z perms.
If you're gonna get into FMC, you'll almost never use PLL. But here you go:
http://www.ai.univ-paris8.fr/~bh/cube/solutions_p2.html

Edit: You'll probably have to translate these algs into things you can remember if you plan on learning them. Good ones to know are J/L-perm, T-perm, and H-perm. If you intend on using U-perms or A-perms, just insert instead.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you're gonna get into FMC, you'll almost never use PLL. But here you go:
http://www.ai.univ-paris8.fr/~bh/cube/solutions_p2.html

Edit: You'll probably have to translate these algs into things you can remember if you plan on learning them. Good ones to know are J/L-perm, T-perm, and H-perm. If you intend on using U-perms or A-perms, just insert instead.
what are the move-optimal algs for H-perm and Z-perm?
EDIT: I'm asking because the link is blocked for some reason on my computer. something about the internet I'm on I think.

Last edited:

T1_M0

WCA
2017NORR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why am I this lucky today? My pb was 38 and today I did solves for two weekly comps. First 36, then 33! I found all edges solved in both tries... The last one even took 15 moves to build a 2x2x3 but then I found a bunch of pairs made and left with a corner 3-cycle.

Ranzha

WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
thanks.

unrelated:
I sat down and tried my first-ever FMC solve a few days back, and here's what I got.
Yes, it's inefficient. yes, I knew about NISS and psuedoblocks. I think I could have put an insertion in there for that U-perm, but couldn't find a good time when a lot of moves would be canceled.

Insertion Finder found a 42 :)
http://fewestmov.es/cube/if/dde466ab3279f4d80096ece570463403.cube

Different continuation from your 222+1 edge, but breaks EO :(
Start:
D' U2 F R'//EO on red/orange
B U2 B' F L2 B//Block+1 edge
Continue:
L D L' B R2 B2 //EO2x-cross

This is a good start! Starting with EO is definitely good, but EOX-Cross is not a usual step. Generally, solving cross edges without pairs adjoining makes blockbuilding (and in turn skel-building) more difficult.

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I accidentally got NR single at PBQ UCLA 2017 (and missed NR mean by 1 move total).

Scramble 1: R' U' F U2 F2 R2 B' L2 D2 F U2 R2 F' D2 U' F D2 U2 L2 D' U F2 R' U R' U' F
Solution: http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~krmatthe/FMC/PBQUCLA17-1-1 (27 moves)

Scramble 2: R' U' F L2 U R2 D L2 B2 D L' D U' B' R2 B2 F2 D' B2 D2 R F R' U' F
Solution: http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~krmatthe/FMC/PBQUCLA17-1-2 (24 moves)

Scramble 3: R' U' F U2 R2 B' F' R2 D2 B' U2 R U2 R' U F' R U R2 U' R' U' F
Solution: http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~krmatthe/FMC/PBQUCLA17-1-3 (35 moves)

I had 2 sub-30s before this: 28, 29.

Ranzha

WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did the first round scrambles for PBQ UCLA:

PBQ UCLA Round 1 Scramble 1
R' U' F U2 F2 R2 B' L2 D2 F U2 R2 F' D2 U' F D2 U2 L2 D' U F2 R' U R' U' F

Backup linear skeleton:
(R U R') // 3 cross pieces, as much as I hate to say it
(D R' D R F R') // 223
(L B' L') // finish cross
(D2 L B' L' B) // square + pair
(D B2 R' B' R B' D2) // 24 to 3c, optimal was 31

What I did:
D2 F D' // 222
B' U R // Built another pair, most of the belt, another cross piece, and hey EO too
R2 D B D' R2 // EO223 + sq + pair
B2 U B U2 B // ab4c (15)

Skel: D2 (D' B' D F D' B D F') F D' B' U (U' L U R' U' L' U R) R' D B D' R2 B2 U B U2 B
Final: D B' D F D' L U R' U' L' U D B D' R2 B2 U B U2 B (20)
PBQ UCLA Round 1 Scramble 2
R' U' F L2 U R2 D L2 B2 D L' D U' B' R2 B2 F2 D' B2 D2 R F R' U' F

(U' B U') // EO
F' L' B' L2 F2 L B // the world's worst EO222
U2 R2 U2 R2 // más
U2 F U2 F2 R U2 // 4c (19)

Skel: F' L' B' L2 (L' B2 L F2 L' B2 L F2) F2 L B U2 R2 U2 R2 U2 F U2 F2 R (R' F' R B' R' F R B) U' B' U
Final: F' L' B' L B2 L F2 L' B2 L2 B U2 R2 U2 R2 U2 F U2 F R B' R' F R B U' B' U (28)
PBQ UCLA Round 1 Scramble 3
R' U' F U2 R2 B' F' R2 D2 B' U2 R U2 R' U F' R U R2 U' R' U' F

D2 // pair
(U R' L2 B2) // 222
(F U' L2) // 223
(U R U' R') // sq
U F U F U2 // NICE
D F' U' F U D' // 3c (23)

Skel: D2 U F U F U2 D F' U' F U D' R U R' U' L2 (L U R2 U' L' U R2 U') U F' B2 L2 R U'
Final: D2 U F U F U2 D F' U' F U D' R U R' U' L' U R2 U' L' U R2 F' B2 L2 R U' (28)
25.33 mean

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
so I'm doing the weekly FMC today, and here's my start, which was a 10-move psuedo-2x2x3 I had a continuation that was pretty bad, here, a 22-move skeleton into 4c with a twisted corner.
would you agree with my start, and what continuation would you do?(I haven't checked the inverse scramble, I'll do that soon)

Also, how do you do comms with a corner twisted? I can do L3C comms pretty easily, but for twisted-corner 4c comms I can't think up what do to.

Ksh13

WCA
2016HARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
so I'm doing the weekly FMC today, and here's my start, which was a 10-move psuedo-2x2x3 I had a continuation that was pretty bad, here, a 22-move skeleton into 4c with a twisted corner.
would you agree with my start, and what continuation would you do?(I haven't checked the inverse scramble, I'll do that soon)

Also, how do you do comms with a corner twisted? I can do L3C comms pretty easily, but for twisted-corner 4c comms I can't think up what do to.
For twisted L4C I think you are supposed to solve one corner+move the twisted corner, giving you L3C after that.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
For twisted L4C I think you are supposed to solve one corner+move the twisted corner, giving you L3C after that.
ah, ok, thanks.

Anyone have tips on what to use for insertion stickers? wasting all my white stickers seems like a bad Idea, I may just use masking tape or something.

EDIT: I cant figure out how to represent what Ksh said with insertion stickers, since it isn't just 1-2-3

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ah, ok, thanks.

Anyone have tips on what to use for insertion stickers? wasting all my white stickers seems like a bad Idea, I may just use masking tape or something.

EDIT: I cant figure out how to represent what Ksh said with insertion stickers, since it isn't just 1-2-3

You need a 4th sticker for the three cycle, and that 4th sticker will be on a different sticker on the first corner than the 1 sticker (because the cycle is twisted). So one corner piece will end up with the 1 and 4 stickers. The twisted corner then gets an X on it, and technically could get an x on all three pieces, because it doesnt matter how you 'break into' that piece. Then, when checking for insertions, check for the best move that would cancel two moves, using all possibilites (1 going to 2, 2 going to 3, or 3 going to 4), and when you've found it, use the X as the 3rd piece in that cycle.

At least that's how I would check for it using stickers. It's really hard to explain with words lol.

Last edited:

Theo Leinad

WCA
2016CUEV04
I accidentally got NR single at PBQ UCLA 2017 (and missed NR mean by 1 move total).

Scramble 1: R' U' F U2 F2 R2 B' L2 D2 F U2 R2 F' D2 U' F D2 U2 L2 D' U F2 R' U R' U' F
Solution: http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~krmatthe/FMC/PBQUCLA17-1-1 (27 moves)

I found a 27 move solution as well (cheating a little bit... )

D2 F D' (2x2x2) - 3
B' U R U' B2 U2 B2 (Diamond) is basically a 2x2x3 - 7
F' U2 F - (F2L-1C) - 3
[B D F' D' B' D F D'] (Insertion to find PLL, delete from solution and applied PLL)
F' U2 F U2 F' L F U F' U' F' L' F2 U' (As you can see, this PLL cancelled 6 moves)
This leaves with a 3 corner insertion...

Skeleton will be :
D2 F D' B' U R U' B2 U2 B2 U2 F' L F U F' U' F' L' F2 U'
And insertion finder found the next insertion (I count this since I had to find it before :p )

D2 F D' B' U R U' B2 U2 B2 U2 F' L F U F' U' F' L' [@1] F2 U'
Insert at @1: L U R U' L' U R' U'
Solution: D2 F D' B' U R U' B2 U2 B2 U2 F' L F U F' U' F' U R U' L' U R' U' F2 U'
27 moves
(My unofficial PB because I searched for R perm, but the logic was mine :p )

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
PB MO3: 24.00. 23, 25, 24

I can't find the 23 solution, but this is the scramble:
D2 L2 U' B2 D2 L2 B' U2 B' D2 L U' B R2 B U' R2 F

#2: 25
R U2 R F R2 L U' D L' F' R2 D2 L2 U2 B' D2 B2 D2 F

(F R2) //square
(R D' R' L U') //2x2x2 with pairs
F D // roux block
(D' L2 D) //F2L-1
(F2 U' F' U F U' F U F) //ab3c

Skeleton: F D F' U' F' U (2) F' U' F U F2 D' L2 D U L' R * D R F'
*R' U R D' R' U' R D
=25

#3: 24
R2 L2 F' D' R2 U B2 R F' L' F' L' F2 B2 L' B2 U2 R

U2 F2 U' //square and pairs
(B') //roux block
(R' D') //square
(L' F L) //solve things
(F' R' F R2) //ab3c3e

U2 F2 U' R2 F' R F L' F' L D * R B
*D' R2 L2 U R2 U' R2 L2 D R2 (cancel 4)

U2 F2 U' R2 F' R F L' F' L' R2 U R2 U' R2 L2 D R' * B
*R' F' R B R' F R B' (cancel 3)
=24
Optimal insertions according to IF ^-^

Neuro

Alright so I just decided to take on FMC and I enjoy it quite a bit at least with the style I'm using right now. Basically you do EO Line and put E slice edges in the slice disregarding permutation, orient all corners, and solve as a domino. However, I am having a hard time optimizing domino so here's a solution up to that state if you guys would like to help me out. Thanks!

Scramble: F2 U' R2 U L2 U B2 D F2 L2 D2 F D' R' D2 L U' F' U L2 D

F' R' U B' R' U// EO with domino style belt (6) **solved belt unintentional
R2 L2 D' R' L2 U' D' R D2 R'// Corner Orientation (domino redux) 10/16

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright so I just decided to take on FMC and I enjoy it quite a bit at least with the style I'm using right now. Basically you do EO Line and put E slice edges in the slice disregarding permutation, orient all corners, and solve as a domino. However, I am having a hard time optimizing domino so here's a solution up to that state if you guys would like to help me out. Thanks!

If you switch to the invserse scramble, you can do
(U' L2 D' U' R2 U L2 U R2 U) which leaves 3 corners. I'd ask @Attila for domino advice.

Edit: Insertionfinder says that 32 is optimal, not too bad!

Last edited:

Attila

WCA
2012HORV01

So, in my opinion, such a random domino reduction, will not be finished with a few moves.
I tried many random domino scrambles,and the average movecount around 13-14 (optimal with CE). The average human solution is obviously more than that.
That's why we need some trick, that reduces the 2nd phase movecount.
I'll explain in more detail, as I usually solve.

In the next logical order:
1st: solve all corners in 2 phase, orient first, then permute with domino moves
2nd: orient corners and solve a few edges (as much as possible)
3rd: swith to inverse, and permute corners (while caring for the existing ce-pairs)
4th: swith back to normal scramble, with inverted permutation moves
5th: orient corners again (here you can see clearly where the edges are to be moved)
6th: orient the remaining edges with Roux-style LSE algs
7th: solve the 5th and 6 step, without inverted premoves
8th: permute corners on normal (and it will be solved all edges).

Let's look at an example using your actual scramble:
F2 U' R2 U L2 U B2 D F2 L2 D2 F D' R' D2 L U' F' U L2 D

1st: D' R B' U' B U R2 D R2 D' F2
2nd: U F' B R2 B L' D' L orient corners and 4 edges,
3rd: switch to inverse with premoves L' D L B' R2 B' F U'
(F2 D R2 D' L2 U') permute corners,
4th:swith to normal with premoves U L2 D R2 D' F2
5th: U F' B R2 B L' D' L orient corners and 4 edges,
6th: L2 U' D' L B' U2 D2 F R' 2 more edges (exceptionally, the last 2 edges will be solved later)
7th: U F' B R2 B L' D' L-L2 U' D' L B' U2 D2 F R' orient corners and 6 edges,
8th: D2 B2 U2 - F U D' L' - D' B2 D F2 D' L2 D U' domino 2nd phase, with inserted F U D' L' moves.
Final solution: U F' B R2 B L' D' L' U' D' L B' U2 D2 F R' D2 B2 U2 F U D' L' D' B2 D F2 D' L2 D U' 31 moves.

I hope this is useful, if there is any question, I can help, if I can. :)