• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tempest 3V1 Development Thread (2016 Model leaked)

Who Should Tempest Work With on Mass Manufacturing?

• MoYu

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • QiYi

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • GAN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yuxin

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • FangShi

• ShengShou

• Dayan

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Independent Company

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xyzzy

*If this comment gets five likes, I'll put a request for permission (from my parents) to buy the iteration 3 prototype from shapeways*

Let's see who is more excited: the reddit community, or the speedsolving community!
If you don't get five likes, will you give up on this project? If not, then why ask for likes at all?

What magnets should I use in the 3v1? Strong or weak?

the 3v1 (iteration 2) is pretty darned fast.
How on Earth do you expect anyone but you (and whoever else you're working with for the designs) to know what's good for a cube we have no information about beyond "it's pretty darned fast" and a couple of pictures? Print the cube, try different magnets, let some fast people try the different magnet strengths, pick the winning combination. If you don't know any fast people who are willing to put in hours to test the cubes for you, just pick whatever you prefer, because you're the only one with the actual cube/prototype. (Honestly though, it should be pretty easy to find testers, given how well received this thread has been; this shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not being paranoid about people leaking your revolutionary designs.)

Sion

If you don't get five likes, will you give up on this project? If not, then why ask for likes at all?

I just want an idea of how immediate people want to the see the process happen. That's all.

Neodymium magnets don't really decrease in strength, at least not in a few hundred years.
If your magnetic cube feels weaker in magnetic strength then compared to when it was new, that's because some magnets might've fallen out inside the pieces.
However, maglev magnets won't really fall out because the ring in the magnet stuck in the screw, and it won't really go anywhere unless you unscrew the thing out.

Sion

Well then!

I just ordered the 3v1 prototype off of shapeways in white strong and flexible polished!

It costed about $156 for the cube without tax and everything, and the actual order in itself was about $179. That is the price of three Air SMs And and an MGCo_O

We must thank the lord for discount codes. Seriously. I could've bought so many cubes with the price of the 3v1 :confused: :?

Sion

I can confirm it will arrive this upcoming monday (Shapeways underestimates themselves on how fast they are.)

I am sure this prototype will feel more like an actual competition-worthy speedcube than the other two due to the quality of the print. I won't need to sand it to the point of where the cubies are uneven with one another (as in the case of the second iteration.) It will also be smoother, and it will give me a better idea of how it will feel as a final product.

If it feels *extremely* good, I might even make it my main. Stay tuned!

Sion

Is it in stickerless/ three/four piece corners ?

It is one piece cubies like the other two. I will split the parts 4 part corner, 3 part edges once I have a prototype that I would main, even as a 3d print. I want the 3v1 to be absolutely perfect for production.

WCA
2017WENR01
It is one piece cubies like the other two. I will split the parts 4 part corner, 3 part edges once I have a prototype that I would main, even as a 3d print. I want the 3v1 to be absolutely perfect for production.
So four piece corners like MF3RS2 does, and the edges are three piece as in Valk?

Sion

Any updates?

The shapeways print came early this week. 100 percent infill, so the final weight was 144 grams (oof).

Because of the polyamide plastic And infill, it was slower and heavier, and more flexible, but the actual feel is very smooth and tactile. Best way to describe it is a new cube with the tactile nature of older cubes.

Galcor117

The shapeways print came early this week. 100 percent infill, so the final weight was 144 grams (oof).

Because of the polyamide plastic And infill, it was slower and heavier, and more flexible, but the actual feel is very smooth and tactile. Best way to describe it is a new cube with the tactile nature of older cubes.
Explain how a cube can be heavy, flexible, and tactile and the same time.

WCA
2017WENR01

You mean SOLID PIECES?!

Sion

This update is obligatory.

I have word from the person printing the iteration four.

Without lube, sanding down print lines, or tensioning, the fourth iteration has almost line to line reverse and almost 45 forward. I can only imagine what sanding and tensioning and a proper lubing can do to this cube.

Sion

This is just a random average of five I did. Since this is my thread, I felt like posting it here. I hope you all enjoy! Please read the bottom of the description!

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is just a random average of five I did. Since this is my thread, I felt like posting it here. I hope you all enjoy! Please read the bottom of the description!
Yeah, but it's your thread for your storm cube. You want to treat this thread like a business, even though it's yours, you shouldn't just do whatever you want with it.
Like blogging ao5s in your pjs.

Unless that cube is the tempest 3xv1, which it doesn't look like.

Sion

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the cube in the video is the Fourth iteration of the Tempest 3v1, printed black with FDM, sanded. Unlike the other prototypes, this one is a cube I can definitely see people purchasing as a viable speedcube (honestly I didn't report on the second and third iterations because they were complete and utter garbage.)

The Tempest 3v1 (current version is unmagnetic) is very light but reliable with a tactile feel. Unlike most cubes, the 3v1 manages stable turning and structure even without the use of magnets. Best way to imagine the feel of the 3v1 is a cross between the Thunderclap V1 and the GTS2.

Forward corner cutting is *just* under 60 degrees, and reverse is one cubie with little effort, and line to line with some effort.

I'm very happy with this model!

Yeah, but it's your thread for your storm cube. You want to treat this thread like a business, even though it's yours, you shouldn't just do whatever you want with it.
Like blogging ao5s in your pjs.

Unless that cube is the tempest 3xv1, which it doesn't look like.

I will take this as a compliment because it *is* the Tempest 3v1.

Last edited:

Sion

You really think I really would share a video that wasn't Tempest related? Ghawww! You should know me a little better by now after two plus years of development :p