• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Short-Listed These Four Cubes To Buy - Are They Good Choices ?

Perfectionist

So I wanna get in to Speedcubing... therefore need to upgrade my trusty Rubiks lol!

Think I should get a couple of good Budget cubes for when I am travelling, and a couple of nice Premium cubes for when I'm at home.

Would prefer Stickerless versions if available, and want cubes to be as Quiet as possible.
Also the pieces need to come apart so I can fill them with foam to dampen noise further, and maybe look at installing magnets in the future.

I've seen and read as much as I can... am I correct in concluding that these 4 cubes are currently the "best" for me?

Budget Cubes = MF3RS & Warrior
Premium Cubes = Valk 3 & Gan Air (Not Stickerless)

Where would be the best place to buy these from?
I've found MagicCubeMall has all of them in stock, and at excellent prices = $38.64 including shipping!
Are MCM better or worse than Cubezz or PriceAngels or Lightake?
Are there any discount coupons available for these stores?

Do I really need to buy special lube - can ordinary oil or even WD40 work?
Which lube is most recommended for these cubes?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Sion

I suggest if you are beginning to get the Qiyi Sail. It's cheap but feels professional. While the MF3rs is rather better performance wise, it feels rather cheap, which in my turn is a turnoff, especially if the sail is a full dollar cheap. The Warrior W is also a great starter, but yet again, the colors are rather funny, and the frosted plastic can get a little funny to get used to at first, although it is indeed quieter.

As for quietest, look at the gans 356 line, although it is pricey. I recommend getting a Gans 356S v2 lite first, as it is the cheapest. Gans cubes are notorious for being pricey, so I suggest you get the life before getting an air, because with Gans cubes, you either love them or you loathe them.

As for lubricant. Don't use WD-40. It will deteriorate the plastic and could cause complications. I do suggest you buy silicone based lubricant, I recommend you get Lubicle Silk if you want a long lasting lubricant. If there is spring noise, getting Lubicle Gummy or Weight five would be good for the core and screws.

I hope this helps.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have a Thunderclap and a Guoguan Yuexiao that I would not hesitate to recommend as solid budget and premium cubes respectively. Coincidentally theCubicle has both of those cubes on sale right now at prices that, combined with free shipping, make them competitive with Chinese stores. I haven't tried any of the Valk or WeiLong GTS stuff that has come out more recently, so I can't comment on those, but I hear they're pretty good.

Definitely concur on the lube: I ruined my first speed cube with vasoline. Go with some silicone and save yourself the hassle.

Abare Killer

Definitely Valk 3 if you are not on budget, it comes in a choice of stickerless and the cube isn't that loud. After installing magnets in it, it becomes really quiet, one of the best cubes on the market right now. If you are on budget, get the Warrior W, out of the box, I was 'really' disappointing, the cube was really loose and unstable but after installing magnets in it, it is fighting for my 'main' spot with Gan Air M and Valk M. I would not recommend the Gan to u because the performance of it is pretty much the same as the Valk and is more expensive. Also it does not come with stickerless version. Hope this helped.

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd still recommend the AoLong v2, even though it's a little dated; I also like the WeiLong GTS; they're the only two cubes I use atm, except the Zhanchi, but they're honestly hit or miss - you can get anything from a godlike Zhanchi to a crap cube from Dayan.

Perfectionist

I suggest if you are beginning to get the Qiyi Sail. It's cheap but feels professional. While the MF3rs is rather better performance wise, it feels rather cheap, which in my turn is a turnoff, especially if the sail is a full dollar cheap. The Warrior W is also a great starter, but yet again, the colors are rather funny, and the frosted plastic can get a little funny to get used to at first, although it is indeed quieter.

As for quietest, look at the gans 356 line, although it is pricey. I recommend getting a Gans 356S v2 lite first, as it is the cheapest. Gans cubes are notorious for being pricey, so I suggest you get the life before getting an air, because with Gans cubes, you either love them or you loathe them.

As for lubricant. Don't use WD-40. It will deteriorate the plastic and could cause complications. I do suggest you buy silicone based lubricant, I recommend you get Lubicle Silk if you want a long lasting lubricant. If there is spring noise, getting Lubicle Gummy or Weight five would be good for the core and screws.

I hope this helps.
Very helpful bro!

Are you recommending the V2 purely due to it being a little lower in price - or do you think it is actually a better cube than the newer Air versions?

Are the lubricants genuinely very different - could I just buy the cheapest I can find and use that instead of one of the more famous brands?

Thanks!

Perfectionist

Definitely Valk 3 if you are not on budget, it comes in a choice of stickerless and the cube isn't that loud. After installing magnets in it, it becomes really quiet, one of the best cubes on the market right now. If you are on budget, get the Warrior W, out of the box, I was 'really' disappointing, the cube was really loose and unstable but after installing magnets in it, it is fighting for my 'main' spot with Gan Air M and Valk M. I would not recommend the Gan to u because the performance of it is pretty much the same as the Valk and is more expensive. Also it does not come with stickerless version. Hope this helped.
So the Warrior is "almost" as good as your Gan and Valk once you put magnets inside - which size of magnets did you use bro?

Does the Valk have any spring creak noise - as I've read the Gans don't have that problem?

Thanks!

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
So the Warrior is "almost" as good as your Gan and Valk once you put magnets inside - which size of magnets did you use bro?

Does the Valk have any spring creak noise - as I've read the Gans don't have that problem?

Thanks!
I'd recommend you just get maru if you don't want to spend lots, it's really cheap at fasttech but shipping takes a few weeks, and you do need to use alot of it as it doesn't last long but is really nice while it lasts

Abare Killer

Thanks!
I used n35 magnets on my Qiyi Warrior W and the magnets placement was more futher at the front giving it a stronger magnetic feel due to the fact that n35s are a bit too weak for it but putting it further at the front makes the cube feel really stable and has a really crispy feel which I enjoy the most.

As for the Valk 3, it doesn't have the spring noise in the core if you lubed it, but if you don't lube it, pretty much all cubes have spring noise except the Gan Air. Out of the three, I really would recommend the Warrior W since it's cheap and up to par with other top class cubes on the market. Although I don't like the color scheme of it, somehow I have really good lookahead on that cube compared to cubes such as GTS, Valk, Gan etc. Maybe the Warrior W color scheme just stands out more?
Oh yes, as for the MF3RS, I have one and put magnets in it but I really prefer the Warrior W way more. The MF3RS is just way too blocky and I get constant lockups on that cube.
Happy Cubing!

Perfectionist

I used n35 magnets on my Qiyi Warrior W and the magnets placement was more futher at the front giving it a stronger magnetic feel due to the fact that n35s are a bit too weak for it but putting it further at the front makes the cube feel really stable and has a really crispy feel which I enjoy the most.

As for the Valk 3, it doesn't have the spring noise in the core if you lubed it, but if you don't lube it, pretty much all cubes have spring noise except the Gan Air. Out of the three, I really would recommend the Warrior W since it's cheap and up to par with other top class cubes on the market. Although I don't like the color scheme of it, somehow I have really good lookahead on that cube compared to cubes such as GTS, Valk, Gan etc. Maybe the Warrior W color scheme just stands out more?
Oh yes, as for the MF3RS, I have one and put magnets in it but I really prefer the Warrior W way more. The MF3RS is just way too blocky and I get constant lockups on that cube.
Happy Cubing!
What are your times like bro - do you only get lockups with the MF3RS when solving really fast?

Sion

Very helpful bro!

Are you recommending the V2 purely due to it being a little lower in price - or do you think it is actually a better cube than the newer Air versions?

Are the lubricants genuinely very different - could I just buy the cheapest I can find and use that instead of one of the more famous brands?

Thanks!

I own a gans 356v1, And I was very happy with it. I felt more modern cubes, And the thing with them is that they lack "a feeling." I would still go for the 356sv2, because it is a v1 that is more controllable and with the S caps.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Get Maru lube if you want a cheap lubricant.

Honestly, I would still get a sail. It feels pricy, yet it's budget. It's a great cube to lubricate and tension, And they are cheap enough to replace. I gave one to my friend, And he absolutely loves it.