Share your history

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by Piotr Grochowski, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Piotr Grochowski

Piotr Grochowski Member

May 31, 2016
    This thread is to share your history. I'll start:

It started with learning the ruwix's beginner's method. I used it for a long time.

After a long time, I learned a different beginner's method (orient first instead of edges first) just for fun. I ended up grabbing Sune, Anti-Sune, F U R U' R' F' and F R U R' U' F' to orient corners, M U' M' U2 M U' M' U2 and F U R U' R' F' y2 F U R U' R' F' to orient edges, F2 R U R' F2 L D' L D L2 (J-perm) to permute corners and M2 U' M' U2 M U' M2 (U-perm, replace U' with U for CCW), M2 U' M2 U2 M2 U' M2 (H-perm) to permute edges. From legoboyz3!'s favorite PLLs video I learned E-perm to help me with diagonal corner swap. Later I was curious about 2-look OLL and PLL, so I learned it. It was nice to see Z-perm algorithm, as well as 1-look OCLL. This later evolved into full PLL, and I learned G-perm thanks to a post by FCM (Fast Cube Master) in his favorite algs thread (F2 M2 D R2 D' R2 U R2 U' Rw2 F2).

CubeStack_Official likes this.
  2. Matt11111

Matt11111 Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Probably my room
    WCA:
    2014PINN02
    YouTube:
    Matt11111
    I got a Rubik's Cube for Christmas and started to learn how to solve it. The next day I spent the day with my grandmother, where I solved it for the first time. My brother also got his own Rubik's Cube, so you already know I have to solve his all the heckin time.

After a while I decided to work on learning CFOP, and well, I still haven't learned full OLL to this day, nearly 4 years after learning how to solve the cube in the first place. I haven't been cubing as much as I used to, but maybe I'll grind some algs one weekend or something. Thanksgiving break is coming up, so you never know.

3. Reed Merrill

Reed Merrill Member

May 14, 2017
    Canada
    I really like the idea of this thread! It will be really cool to see what different people have done to learn how to speedsolve.

That's a cool history since right from being a beginner you already knew the sunes. I bet that helped with expanding your algs later on.

I got a cube about 1.5 years ago and thought that I didn't need the beginners method, so taught myself cross on bottom, and then went straight to Ruwix's site and started trying to learn F2L algs. This was before I knew that youtube was full of awesome cubing resources, so I just did F2L algs until I eventually could see how the pairings worked, basically teaching myself intuitive F2L, which took months. Then I started learning 4LLL from Badmephisto's site. About 6 months after starting I could solve with pure 4LLL, and my family thought it was really funny that I still hadn't solved the cube at all that whole time.

Fast forward a bit, I did a couple of months of Roux, but didn't end up liking it, then I learned full PLL after switching back to CFOP. The I realized that with 4LLL I already knew OCLL, and if I learned ZZ then I could do full 2LLL. So I learned EOline, and haven't look back since.

4. Piotr Grochowski

Piotr Grochowski Member

May 31, 2016
    One of my first beginner's method expansions was the extra algorithms on http://puzzlesolver.com/puzzle.php?id=29;page=8. Also I discovered an algorithm F R U R' U' F' R' U' F' U F R that will swap two opposite edges, without need to use 2 sunes.

It was interesting to find on youcandothecube.com tutorial that the sune was used for orienting corners instead of permuting edges. That inspired me to learn beginner's method in a different order. Later I realized it would make 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL easier, so I expanded it to 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL, and later to PLL.

I recommend learning an orient-first beginner's algorithm to help transition to CFOP. For orienting, try learning stage 5 of the youcandothecube tutorial: https://www.youcandothecube.com/solve-it/3-x-3-solution
    For permuting, you should look for PLLs (https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/PLL). Learn at least 2 algorithms: an adjacent corner swap or 3-cycle (A-, F-, G-, J-, R- or T-perm) and an edge 3-cycle (U-perm); find algorithms that you find easiest to remember. For example, in my case the adjacent swap was J-perm and it swapped left corners: F2 R U R' F2 L D' L D L2.

5. cros107

cros107 Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Picked up a cube on a school trip in China to entertain myself during the long periods of time we spent on trains. Spent an hour or so learning beginner's method (also from Ruwix). Solved as much as possible for the rest of the trip. Got a GTS2M when I returned home, and a couple months later switched to Roux. This was only about a month ago so I'm still pretty slow (40s average) but I'm steadily improving.

6. Tabe

Tabe Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Spokane, WA (USA)
    YouTube:
    CoachTabe
    I got a cube in 1980 or 81. I got frustrated with it as I couldn't do more than one side. Eventually picked up a book ("The Simple Solution to Rubik's Cube") and, with assistance from my mom, was able to solve the cube. Not long after that, I added a Rubik's Cube Deluxe (tiles) to my regular Rubik's. Still have the Deluxe 35+ years later.

I watched Minh Thai compete on "That's Incredible" back in the day, first to win the US championship and later to win the first World Championship.

Across multiple moves and life events, I would occasionally go back to the cube and solve it a couple times, just to remind myself I still could. Never tried to be fast. The only time I ever tried to be fast at all was in middle school when I raced my math teacher. He would work on a cube in-between periods and I challenged him (and won).

About a year ago, Amazon recommended the book "Cracking the Cube" to me. Intrigued, I bought it. A few months ago, I actually read it and I was deeply fascinated by the speedcubing scene. I decided to pick up my old Deluxe cube and start practicing. That worked for a little while but I soon decided I needed something better, so I bought a Weilong GTS (by accident - I intended to buy an Aolong v2 and hit the buy it now on Ebay on the wrong auction, LOL).

Since that time, I've gotten better but I don't get a ton of time to practice. I first continued using the method outlined in "Simple Solution" before switching to a beginner version of CFOP as detailed on Feliks's Cubeskills site. I have switched over to 2-look OLL and PLL and I continue to (slowly) improve.

I had one main goal when I started practicing and that was to beat my record from way back in the day as a 9-year old - 30 seconds. Back then, *EVERYONE* had a Rubik's cube but I was literally the only kid in school who could solve it. Other kids would bring their cubes to school and I would charge a quarter each to solve them. A quarter bought a candy bar back then so I figured that was pretty good pay for me :) Anyway, I got timed once on a lucky scramble and finished in 30 seconds. So my goal was to beat that time, which I have done.

Anyway, that's my story :)

bgcatfan likes this.
  7. efattah

efattah Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I also got my first cube in 80/81, before they even were sold in North America! My dad got one in Hungary on a business trip! With no books it took me a year to solve it age 6/7 (I developed a method to solve it without any algorithms that I have posted elsewhere here). Like Tabe I also watched That's Incredible in 1981/82 and watched Minh Thai win it. I was the only one in my school who could solve it, and several times I avoided getting beaten up by older kids when I told them I could solve it (and of course they had me prove it).

Eventually I got decently fast, averaged around 40 seconds in 1988 with the ultra-crappy cubes of the day with a PB single of 19.8 in 1987. Started speed cubing in late 2015, developed the LMCF method based on my old 80's style, and currently average around 15 seconds with occasional sub-10 solves. I also got Rubik's revenge and the earliest Megaminx back in 1982/83, I was able to solve Rubik's Revenge (4x4) 50% of the time (only if I didn't get parity). Square-1 was beyond my ability back then. Could never get past parity (not surprising for an 8 year old with no books or internet...)

Gomorrite likes this.
  8. greentgoatgal

greentgoatgal Member

Feb 6, 2017
    NC
    I got a cube as a Christmas gift in 2016. Learned to solve it LBL within a couple hours. Memorized all the algs by the next day.

I got a 2x2, 4x4, pyraminx, megaminx, and square 1 between then and March 2017. I averaged around 1:20s with a PB around 50s.

Then I happened upon speedsolving.com and decided to get into actual speed cubing. Had to ditch all the ShengShous.

I learned f2l, oll, and pll, and got a valk 3 m over the summer. I didn't learn about 4lll until after I was done learning full 2lll, so I went straight from LBL to full CFOP.

And now I average 15s with a PB of 9.72.

Reed Merrill likes this.