Rubik's Cube World Championship 2017 - Paris, France (13-16 July 2017)

Discussion in 'Official WCA Competitions' started by BillyRain, Jul 27, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. mark49152

mark49152 Premium Member

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    WCA:
    2015RIVE05
    YouTube:
    mark49152
    Seconded, and I think Iggy speaks for many cubers there. A lot of people gave up a lot of their time unpaid to put this huge and impressive event together, purely for the love of the sport. It was a privilege to be there. Huge thanks and respect to all those who made it possible. Merci beaucoup ;)

2. Selkie

Selkie Premium Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Devon, UK
    WCA:
    2011WRIG01
    YouTube:
    selkiecubing
    I had the Twitch feed on for the majority of the 4 days in the study whilst working. I heard the commentators say that the Japanese feed that had upwards of 30,000 views. Whether that was over the duration of the event or for a specific time is unclear.

Certainly from someone who unfortunately was unable to attend the event came across as being excellently run. The media feed and commentators were great and the atmosphere seemed just amazing. Congratulations to all involved in its success and for all those winners, podium placed or just those striving for PBs

3. Competition Cuber

Competition Cuber Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Planet Earth
    I wonder how many people in Paris actually knew what was happening.

4. h2f

h2f Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Poland
    WCA:
    2014PACE01
    YouTube:
    seniorgrot
    Thanks Chris. I think the number 4,500 (yt and twitch during Finals) is underrated. During US Nats Finals there were around the same number of viewers.

Selkie likes this.
  5. Gomorrite

Gomorrite Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Finally, with 938 competitors, it did not surpass Asian Championship 2016 as the biggest competition ever. Too many people registered and did not attend.

FastCubeMaster likes this.
  6. I am extremely happy that I got to go to my first big competition after having been cubing for over 8 years. Everything was great: organizing, ambiance, venue. I got to meet a lot of people and got to see some excellent cubers too, even though you can see it on youtube or anywhere else, seeing it live is just something else.

My results were expected as I got little to no practice in the weeks before but I am really happy that I got to break my Square-1 (New national record both single and average and single PB in the finals, first official sub-9 for me :)), Pyraminx and Skewb average PB (Top-50 for both of those events which I didn't expect at all).

While in the waiting room for the SQ-1 finals we realized that SQ-1 is a Daniel-event, Daniel Karnaukh, Daniel Rose-Levine, Daniel Wallin and myself (Daniel Gracia) were competing in the finals.

7. Nencaran

Nencaran Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Paris - France
    WCA:
    2009BONN01
    Haha yes, we realized that at the scrambling table. The runners immediatly saw that just calling "Daniel" would not be possible :D

8. Yeah, but in the end I just got used to double check my name, runners would call me Daniel Ortiz, Daniel Garcia (which is not even my real surname), Daniel Garcia Ortiz, Daniel Gracia Ortiz or simply Daniel.

Nencaran likes this.
  9. mark49152

mark49152 Premium Member

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    WCA:
    2015RIVE05
    YouTube:
    mark49152
    Yeah as a runner I would like to apologise to all the competitors whose names I mispronounced. At the start of the comp I would politely ask and check I was pronouncing correctly, but after the first 20-30 unfamiliar names I gave up and hoped people would understand and not mind too much :)

Nencaran and Keroma12 like this.
  10. 1973486

1973486 Member

Jun 21, 2015
    3x3: Good first round avg (I don't expect a PB for a long time), second round avg was so bad that it's funny
    2x2: Not very good
    4x4: Another ~50 avg with bad counting solve (52.29 this time). Did centers wrong on one of the counting times (I think the 52)
    5x5: Overall PBs by a lot by borrowing a cube
    6x6: Pretty bad
    3BLD: DNFs by two flipped edges, two O perms (yep), and most of the cube
    FMC: Didn't spend full hour on any solutions, first one I finished quicker to practice feet, second I was really tired. Tied PB mean
    OH: 22.86 mean with counting 26 :/ And last solve was 8 move LL done really terribly
    Feet: Made finals with a pretty bad mean then got 41, 46, 57 in finals, at least I have a good single now (NR3->NR2)
    Mega: Fourth worst avg of the comp :)
    Pyra: Pretty good avg but miles from PB. Didn't realise how good my last 4 avgs were for me
    Clock: Wanted low 10 avg and got sub 10 but messed up a bit.
    Skewb: 0.04 off PB avg
    Square-1: Was really happy to come first in first two rounds, but scrambles in the final just sucked...

11. Don't worry too much, nobody even in Spain pronounces my first family name correctly :p

12. porkynator

porkynator Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Belluno, Italy
    WCA:
    2011TRON02
    YouTube:
    PorkyDays
    It was really a great competition! The live streaming, the warm-up area, everyhing was very nice.

I also had good performances.
    Imanaged not to screw up 3BLD and get to the finals. Even there I did quite good, finishing 6th but just 2 seconds from the firs place and 1 second from podium - amazing!
    I also got successful solves for 4/5BLD, which is always my goal. Maybe I'll practice those events next ;)
    The podium in FMC was the unexpected crown over all this. After a bad first solve I got a good second one and with some crazy stuff on the last one I earned the second place :)
    I also missed a couple of NRs: the first 3BLD scramble of the first round could have easily been a 22 or so, but I went for an overly safe attempt (which I don't regret). On the second round I missed the mean by not waiting to the green light (insert very big facepalm emoticon). I got 6 seconds away from 5BLD NR screwing up centersbmemo completeyl (hadbto re do it and lost 1:30-2 minutes). But I'm not mad, I wasn't there for setting records.

It was to be there among all the champions. I very happy I could attend.

kamilprzyb likes this.
  13. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    7:47:25

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KVDHY2Ksn4o?vq=hd720&amp;iv_load_policy=3&amp;rel=0&amp;showinfo=0&amp;theme=light&amp;color=white&amp;autohide=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hahahahahhaha don't even ask how I found that