• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Brand lawsuit against The Cubicle

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This case is about a lot more than "a distributor." A lot of the case hinges on the pro shop "manufacturing" cubes, which means that if Rubik's wins they can pretty much immediately shut down SCS no questions asked. I don't know if anybody else in the US does custom cubes on any scale, but shutting down two of the biggest US distributors (and likely others) would have a chilling effect on cube availability and innovation.
How many people do you think buy from SCS or The Cubicle but don't know about Lightake or the other Chinese sites? I'd say not many and the lawsuit won't touch the Chinese sites.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
How many people do you think buy from SCS or The Cubicle but don't know about Lightake or the other Chinese sites? I'd say not many and the lawsuit won't touch the Chinese sites.

That's a fair point. I guess in my mind the US stores are higher-margin accounts, but there probably isn't much difference, if any, from the manufacturer's perspective.

Dr_Detonation

WCA
2017ECKS02
I don't see why they're just sueing the cubicle. If they really bad a problem with it they'd do something else. Rubik's is probably just mad that TheCubicle has better business then them. They do, right?

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I don't see why they're just sueing the cubicle. If they really bad a problem with it they'd do something else. Rubik's is probably just mad that TheCubicle has better business then them. They do, right?

They're not just suing The Cubicle, they've been consistently pushing to assert trademark claims: https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisabr...s-you-are-so-sued-and-im-famous/#95e0b1265a99

I currently doubt it'll stop there If they succeed (or maybe even if not).

U

Underwatercuber

This case is about a lot more than "a distributor." A lot of the case hinges on the pro shop "manufacturing" cubes, which means that if Rubik's wins they can pretty much immediately shut down SCS no questions asked. I don't know if anybody else in the US does custom cubes on any scale, but shutting down two of the biggest US distributors (and likely others) would have a chilling effect on cube availability and innovation.
and then cube manufacturers would also lose a lot of business if the main cubestores shut down meaning that they would be making far less money and that would affect them.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
and then cube manufacturers would also lose a lot of business if the main cubestores shut down meaning that they would be making far less money and that would affect them.
Or people buy more cubes because they are cheaper from Chinese stores, I think it will balance out ok, I wouldn't be surprised if lightake and MCM want Rubik's to win

Reed Merrill

I also would guess that domestic Chinese buyers are by far the largest market for speedcubes. So, in my opinion losing a few US distributors, and even all of their US consumers probably won't be fatal to their business.

That's assuming that Rubik's wins, which is by no means guaranteed.

WCA
2017WENR01
"A photograph of Plaintiff’s RUBIK’S CUBE puzzle Mark is set forth below:
(picture of a sucky cube)
A photograph of a stock twist puzzle cube sold by Defendant TheCubicle to consumers is set forth below
(Picture of a Guanlong)"
LOL

'As a result of Defendant’s use of a spurious version of Plaintiff’s federally registered RUBIK’S Design Mark, consumers who expect to receive Plaintiff’s RUBIK’S CUBE puzzle, for which Plaintiff has developed a national and international reputation, will be disappointed when using Defendant’s imitation twist puzzle cube. This will cause irreparable harm to Plaintiff’s reputation and the goodwill which is symbolized by the RUBIK’S Design Mark'

"Mommy, I am so disappointed that my cube can turn fast and corner cut! I wanted a rubik's brand that can barely turn, can't corner cut, and can't be tensioned!"

Last edited by a moderator:

xyzzy

"A photograph of Plaintiff’s RUBIK’S CUBE puzzle Mark is set forth below:
(picture of a sucky cube)
A photograph of a stock twist puzzle cube sold by Defendant TheCubicle to consumers is set forth below
(Picture of a Guanlong)"
LOL

'As a result of Defendant’s use of a spurious version of Plaintiff’s federally registered RUBIK’S Design Mark, consumers who expect to receive Plaintiff’s RUBIK’S CUBE puzzle, for which Plaintiff has developed a national and international reputation, will be disappointed when using Defendant’s imitation twist puzzle cube. This will cause irreparable harm to Plaintiff’s reputation and the goodwill which is symbolized by the RUBIK’S Design Mark'

"Mommy, I am so disappointed that my cube can turn fast and corner cut! I wanted a rubik's brand that can barely turn, can't corner cut, and can't be tensioned!"

Thanks for your extremely original insight that totally hasn't been mentioned right in the very first page.

(e: why are you guys liking the post where I'm being a dick; what's wrong with you people? I'm just fed up at how kids keep posting in this thread (and the other drama threads) with almost nothing new to say.)

Last edited: