Featured Rubik Speedsolving Association - A message from Ernő Rubik

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by cmhardw, Dec 22, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    Hello cubing community!

Ernő Rubik has just made public his interest in speedcubing and its educational benefits. Rubik's representatives have requested that we divulge this message and future (!) messages from the Professor to the community (see bottom of this post).

Speedcubing as a phenomenon owes its thanks to all of the people that help make it possible. If you have attended a competition before, then you are a part of this. If you have organized or participated as staff at a competition before, then you are a part of this. To all the WCA Officials and volunteers, you are a part of this.

On behalf of the WCA Board I would like to say thank you to everyone who has helped make this possible! We look forward to more exciting things to come for our community!

Regards,
    Chris Hardwick

Please share this message and subscribe!
    https://plus.google.com/+ErnoRubik/posts/YMRf9fPoBBF

2. genericcuber666

genericcuber666 Member

Aug 5, 2016
    yay cubings becoming mainstream

3. Dom

Dom Member

Thank you, Mr. Rubik , for acknowledging us.

pamulapati likes this.
  4. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    Great to hear this. It would be great to work with Erno and Rubik's to better the community and provide more educational opportunities, amongst other things, for people around the world.

5. Kotra25

Kotra25 Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Sweden
    YouTube:
    channel/UC_JCqLKDh2fl1-PLuUnBFow
    I have waited awhile for something like this to happen

6. Selkie

Selkie Premium Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Devon, UK
    WCA:
    2011WRIG01
    YouTube:
    selkiecubing
    A great read and great that Erno has taken the time to commend the speedcubing movement.

As a solver who has had the pleasure to have been solving for over 35 years since the cube was originally released I have to say that the movement today with the structure and framework the WCA gives the past time and communities such as this forum make speedsolving an excellent hobby that I am proud to be a part of and I enjoy solving as much today as I did in the early 80's.

Carl La Hood and Aeron like this.
  7. Loiloiloi

Loiloiloi Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    WCA:
    2016CLAR04
    Risky move for him to endorse speedcubing, considering as the Rubik's Brand and speedcubing rarely overlap.

Also, this isnt the first time he has mentioned or promoted speedcubing, I posted this video on sightings in the media a while back.

Dom and CornerCutter like this.
  8. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    pjk, Elo13, YouCubing and 2 others like this.
  9. Loiloiloi

Loiloiloi Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    WCA:
    2016CLAR04
    Rubik Speedsolving Association? Call me a downer but I'm quite happy with what we have right now. Nothing wrong with the WCA and the way things are going, people compete, and some people organize, that's the way it should be. If this is just meant to act as a catalyst to what we already have then by all means I welcome this, but I really don't want to have competing systems for competitors, we saw in Jessica Fridrich's accounts of 1982 how that went wrong.

10. 1973486

1973486 Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Depends how the RSA will work

11. Dom

Dom Member

Yeah, it's probably not going to be a competition-governing organization. It'll probably just help take cubing to new places and introduce cubing into schools. Just like it says..... hopefully.

ECuber YT and Loiloiloi like this.
  12. mDiPalma

mDiPalma Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Hopefully the RSA will actually value their mission statements, unlike the WCA.

arcio1 likes this.
  13. try not to cut yourself on that edge

14. Kotra25

Kotra25 Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Sweden
    YouTube:
    channel/UC_JCqLKDh2fl1-PLuUnBFow
    I hope he will fill a place in the community but I don't want him to take over everything we already have

15. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    Cool to see the person who invented the cube taking an interest in the cubing world :).

16. Ollie

Ollie Member

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    WCA:
    2012FROS01
    YouTube:
    OliverFrostBLD
    I'll reserve judgement until we see a few more details about what the RSA will actually do and how it will work alongside the WCA (if it even needs to). It's an interesting idea, though! The guy has influence and resources, I assume.

17. shots fired

Elo13, Dom and sigalig like this.
  18. Tony Fisher

Tony Fisher Member

Dec 6, 2009
    UK
    YouTube:
    kaixevandstanley
    Seems kind of strange considering he / they tried to get 99.9% of Rubik's Cubes used in competitions banned.

deepak13 and AlexMaass like this.
  19. If the RSA tries to enforce Rubik's brand only I reckon that they may run into a few problems with the current cubing community.

deepak13 likes this.
  20. Dom

Dom Member

No, man. They gave up on that already. It's about more than money to Ernö. It's about his legacy. It's about how his creation has influenced the entire world. I'm glad I'm able to be a part of it. Aren't you?
    Ernö Rubik wants to continue to be a positive influence in cubing, too.

Tycubing likes this.