• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Retaining information while expanding cube collection...

Eelephant

was not sure how to title this thread.

I can solve 7 different puzzles regularly. But with each new puzzle I learn I grow increasingly more fearful that I am going to start forgetting elements of the previous puzzles. Know what I mean? Does anyone else feel that way, or do y'all just move on to a new puzzle when U feel like it, and just brush up on the old ones if or whenever you feel like picking it up again?

I feel the need to intensely drill all my current cubes before starting a new one. Does anyone else do this, or is just because I am a weird, anxiety-ridden old man?

Asking this now cuz I got 3 new cubes on the shelf, and am pretty pumped for the WPI Winter Cubing event this Sunday, where I am sure to acquire more.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
was not sure how to title this thread.

I can solve 7 different puzzles regularly. But with each new puzzle I learn I grow increasingly more fearful that I am going to start forgetting elements of the previous puzzles. Know what I mean? Does anyone else feel that way, or do y'all just move on to a new puzzle when U feel like it, and just brush up on the old ones if or whenever you feel like picking it up again?

I feel the need to intensely drill all my current cubes before starting a new one. Does anyone else do this, or is just because I am a weird, anxiety-ridden old man?

Asking this now cuz I got 3 new cubes on the shelf, and am pretty pumped for the WPI Winter Cubing event this Sunday, where I am sure to acquire more.
That is a pretty good questions to ask. I believe that each person in completely different in there own way when it comes to learning a new or different cube, and what I mean by that is, I personally since I began cubing have always wanted to be able to compete in all events, and when I began cubing I did not know how to learn all events with like you said "not forgetting previous algs on other cubes".
What I decided to do and what I still do is the following. I first learned 3x3 and once I was around 20 seconds 1 1/2 months later, I got a 4x4 and 2x2, which I then combined with 3x3, and I would practice each event for awhile and then switch to the next, and once I felt comfortable with those events I then got a 5x5, Pyraminx, Skewb, and Megaminx, and as the same as above I would practice one memorize the needed algs, and go to the next cube, and that is what I have done up until now where the only event that I do not know and need/ want to practice now is 5x5 BLD. I of course and not great in any event because I been practicing most of the events but I am at least able to know the right algs for the right cube. I try for the most part to practice all the events in a week (to get faster and keep the algs fresh) but if I do not have the chance to do that I will practice all the events over two weeks (if that makes sense). I do forget a few algs every once and awhile, but if I drill a particular alg/s and have it down to the point that it is just muscle memory then I do not have to worry about forgetting it if I do not practice it for a week or so.

I hope that this all make sense to you. My main point and advice to you is, learn one or two events, practice and memorize the algs, and once you feel comfortable with that move on to a new event/s. I am sure that other individuals have there own advice or recommendations, but what I stated is the way that I learned most all events and that is my advice. Please let me know if you are confused with what I said or if you have any additional questions. Happy Cubing!

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's a reasonable concern that you'll forget algorithms for certian puzzles but in my experience that happens much less that you might expect. Certainly even if you forget an algorithm it will still be much easier to pick up again and learn the second time.

It also depends how you are practising. If you purely dedicate yourself to one puzzle at a time then it becomes more likely that you'll forget algs. It's usually better to just practise in rotation in that respect.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am personally of the opinion that this is less of a problem when you're young than it is when you're older. I find myself occasionally forgetting and sometimes even having to relearn some of the most common algs after a little while of disuse. One time I actually forgot the Sune algorithm for about 30 minutes at a competition. It came back to me, but it was really weird when it happened.

I have forgotten big cube parity algs a number of times and had to relearn them. The same for most of my square-1 algs.

I think that's why I'm so faithful to competing every week in our online competition in every event - that way I don't forget any of my important algs for any puzzle.

Duncan Bannon

I think that's why I'm so faithful to competing every week in our online competition in every event - that way I don't forget any of my important algs for any puzzle.

That's how I remember them also. The forum comp is a great resource you can use to your advantage.