• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] QiYi WuHua 6x6

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
This cube was purchased from The Cubicle in November.

Out of the box, this cube was awful. It felt as if the screws had been wrenched down and turning felt exceptionally slow, grindy, and lurchy. To my surprise, this did not go away when loosening the tensions.

After taking it apart and cleaning it, evening out the tensions, applying Lubicle Standard to the center pivots and Lubicle Speedy, Silk, and Maru to the pieces, and breaking it in a bit, it no longer feels like it's grinding. It's gotten marginally faster and the static friction has improved, which I suspect will get a little better after a longer break-in period.

Currently, the cube's outer layers are fast and give a rolling feel, I personally like them even more than on my YuXin. The center slices are much slower than the outer layers, something that I personally don't like but your mileage may vary, and they have an airy, swishy texture to them.
Unfortunately, the second layers are where this cube falls short. They have a very high static friction that has only improved marginally through use, making them lurch and jump rather than turn smoothly, and they catch far more than any modern speedcube I've owned thus far.

I suspect the catching is due to the "Hidden Anti-Pop" ridges on some of the pieces, and I'd like to see how it changes if someone has enough free time to try filing them down.

The cube's size is not ideal, but it bothers me less than I thought it would. It doesn't feel unwieldy, just a little big.

The stock sticker shades are great, they have good contrast and make my own scheme look dull. If anyone knows the exact shades, I'd love to get them (the scheme listed by The Cubicle is not exactly the same).

In the end, I can't fault it for being bad out of the box because I haven't encountered a 6x6 that wasn't. It's a very good cube until you look at the second layers, and they are bad enough to bring the whole cube down.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mine was also terrible out of the box, haven't had time to fix that fully yet. I disassembled, adjusted tensions a little, put some lube in haphazardly and did a couple of solves.

Main problem for me is really bad lockups sometimes when going from middle layer turns to outer layer turns, so OLL parity is horrible to perform. Even if it looks like everything is lined up it can still catch so badly it refuses to turn. Seems ok otherwise, but if I can't fix that then I'm not going to want to solve it. Maybe with the right tensions and/or light modding ...

Tycubing

WCA
2015SPEC01
Mine was bad out of the box, too. I figured out that putting Dayan springs in it makes it better, but the outer layers are too fast. I just put traxxas 50k on the pieces and it made it near-perfect.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Am I only the only person who's had a good experience with this cube? I thought it was great out of the box and haven't had any of the problems people are describing. I dropped from averaging 3:00 on the Aoshi to 2:45 on this cube. While I haven't tried the Weishi or Yuxin Red for comparison, I can't imagine that they're so amazing to make the Wuhua look as bad as people are saying.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Am I only the only person who's had a good experience with this cube? I thought it was great out of the box and haven't had any of the problems people are describing. I dropped from averaging 3:00 on the Aoshi to 2:45 on this cube. While I haven't tried the Weishi or Yuxin Red for comparison, I can't imagine that they're so amazing to make the Wuhua look as bad as people are saying.
This and that AsR video makes me want to think that there's a 'bad batch' out there... hmm

Forcefulness

YouTube
Visit Channel
I too dropped about 15 seconds with the wuhua, and tbh mine is much better than either my weishi or my yuxin, perhaps there is a bad batch out there.
mine is black btw

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
I got my first sub3 on the WuHua (stickerless), then beat it by 6 seconds with DP
it was also great out of the box (I got both of those solves with no lubing or tensioning)
the only problem I've had with it is pops and sliding pieces, but every 6x6 I own has done that and this one does it less

dboeren

I have a black Wuhua I bought recently (so definitely not part of any early bad batch) and really like it. I haven't made any adjustments yet other than putting in a bit of lube. It's my first 6x6. There is some occasional catching but I'm hoping this will improve as it gets worn in a little.

I got a Yuxin Red (also black) the other day and it's much worse out of the box. Slower, more catches, and not as nice a feel overall. I've got a set of the Yuxin 5x5 springs on order that should come in tomorrow, so I'm not doing any lubing or tensioning until after I swap the springs and I'll see how it works afterward. Also, the stickers on the Yuxin seem to stick out a lot more than the Wuhua for some reason, just thought I'd mention that if anyone has sensitive fingertips :)

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
I don't know where else to post this, so here will do. I recently discovered that the Wuhua actually has 2 batches!

Check this out:
IMG_2879.JPG
The above is a wuhua outer wing from a cube bought near its release date.

IMG_2880.JPG
And this is a wuhua I got a few weeks ago. Notice that 'line' of plastic in the middle? That wasn't there in the older wuhua. I know i'm not showing the same wing half, but I promise, it's on the other half too. It's also on the inner wing.

I can't really say how the older batch compares to the newer one, as my old wuhua broke, so I'll leave it to y'all to decide?

I_<3_SCS

I don't know where else to post this, so here will do. I recently discovered that the Wuhua actually has 2 batches!

Check this out:
View attachment 8306
The above is a wuhua outer wing from a cube bought near its release date.

View attachment 8307
And this is a wuhua I got a few weeks ago. Notice that 'line' of plastic in the middle? That wasn't there in the older wuhua. I know i'm not showing the same wing half, but I promise, it's on the other half too. It's also on the inner wing.

I can't really say how the older batch compares to the newer one, as my old wuhua broke, so I'll leave it to y'all to decide?

Is your new Wuhua sluggish at all?