• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Prisma Puzzle Timer

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
Introducing Prisma Puzzle Timer 0.6:

Download: https://bitbucket.org/walter/puzzle-timer/downloads/PrismaPuzzleTimer0.6.jar
Project home (source code available): http://prismapuzzletimer.com/

Mac OS X version by Mads Mohr Christensen: https://bitbucket.org/mohr/prisma-puzzle-timer/

0auyJ.png

VjLvT.png

c3s4q.png

Main features:

• Support for 2x2x2-7x7x7, Rubik's clock, Megaminx, Pyraminx, Square-1, Skewb, Floppy cube (1x3x3), Tower cube (2x2x3), Rubik's tower (2x2x4) and Rubik's domino (2x3x3)
  • Custom categories
  • Random state scramblers for 2x2x2, 3x3x3, Rubik's clock, Pyraminx, Square-1, Skewb, Floppy cube, Tower cube, Rubik's tower and Rubik's domino
  • Fixed length random state scramblers for 2x2x2 and Pyraminx
  • Special scramblers for 3x3x3 and Square-1
  • Tips for 3x3x3 (optimal cross, BLD methods) and Square-1 (optimal cube shape)
  • Zero-configuration Stackmat Timer support (actually, you have to select the input device)
  • Keyboard timer using space or ctrl keys
  • Inspection time
  • 3D visualization of scrambles
  • History window with histogram, graph, statistics and times
  • Scramble queue manipulation
  • Session summary
  • Color scheme editor

Hope you like it. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ooh, those are some interesting new features; I like the edge-only and corner-only scrambles and the pretty scramble image.

I'm not chiding, just curious: Where did you get all the implementations from? (scrambles, Stackmat support, cube views)

Where/how do the times get saved? Do they?

May I suggest that you come up with a spiffier name than "Puzzle Timer"?

(Just looked at the source; it looks pretty nice. For clarification: Does the license mean you allow re-use of components?)

Last edited:

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow! I vote this for most impressive first post ever.

This has like all the good features of cct and none of the footprint. It even has incremental scramble view!

There's probably no reason left for people to be using cct.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
First, let me start by saying that this time is absolutely wonderful. I haven't been using CCT due to the actual feel of it, the load time, and the missing (somewhat) options. This timer fixes these issues, and poses new features that are pretty exciting.

The one thing that I'm missing either due to it actually be missing or due to my silly inability to find it is a setting for inspection after one hits the spacebar for the first time. This would be very useful, but I don't know how you could implement this for StackMatted solves.

Cheers and great job,
Stachu

NeedReality

WCA
2010MARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
:0 I can't think of something else to say.

EDIT: after playing with this for a while the only thing is a way to save times.

If you go to view -> history your times are saved there. However, I would like something more like gqtimer where you have the ability to manually save sessions.

In the above mentioned history section, it'd be nice if when clicking on "start" or "time" that it would sort them from least to greatest or something. Other than that, I'm loving this timer and will probably use it as my main timer from now on.

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
First of all, thanks for the compliments.

I'm not chiding, just curious: Where did you get all the implementations from? (scrambles, Stackmat support, cube views)

I implemented them myself.

To learn about solvers, Kociemba's and Jaap's websites are by far the best reference.

Florian Weingarten's website have information about the Stackmat timer protocol. I also took a look at CCT's source code (although I didn't quite understand what it does).

The scramble viewers were inspired by Ryan Heise's simulator.

Where/how do the times get saved? Do they?

Yes, they do. All data is stored in an embedded relational database (H2).

May I suggest that you come up with a spiffier name than "Puzzle Timer"?

Does it sound silly? I think I can still change the name without causing confusion, so I'm open to suggestions. By the way, have anyone caught a spelling/grammar mistake in the program?

(Just looked at the source; it looks pretty nice. For clarification: Does the license mean you allow re-use of components?)

All the code is under MIT license so you can modify/reuse however you like. If you need some help, let me know.

choza244

WCA
2011FLAR01
This timer is really nice, but there is someting that some poeple really need, an option to manually input the times because they use a timer like the QJ that cannot be connected to the pc, that's the only thing i think is missing, and the other thing is that i prefer the way that cct manage the sessions, because this timer just show all the times together.

I use cct but overall i'm liking this timer much more, as a suggestion and a favor, please add an option to manually input the times, and this will be an awesome timer.

BTW i like the 3D visualitazions of the sq-1 and the clock, they'r awesome

And i have a question, The average (last 12) excludes the best and worst times? or is calculated with the 12 times

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First I will say that this timer looks great (although I will not use it).

Would you be willing to change the stats around? Instead of mean/SD/best of 3/10, which few people use, it would be better to have the best time, current and recent average of 5/12 with SD (not counting the best/worst times), and possibly average of 100 and/or session average.

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
The one thing that I'm missing either due to it actually be missing or due to my silly inability to find it is a setting for inspection after one hits the spacebar for the first time. This would be very useful, but I don't know how you could implement this for StackMatted solves.

It's not implemented. This feature doesn't play well with stackmat timers. Maybe I can try to use, say, the left pad as the trigger so you don't have to use both the timer AND the keyboard.

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
This timer is really nice, but there is someting that some poeple really need, an option to manually input the times because they use a timer like the QJ that cannot be connected to the pc, that's the only thing i think is missing, and the other thing is that i prefer the way that cct manage the sessions, because this timer just show all the times together.

I use cct but overall i'm liking this timer much more, as a suggestion and a favor, please add an option to manually input the times, and this will be an awesome timer.

View -> History -> Add solutions...
Is it an awesome timer now?

About the sessions... I think it's the main reason people complain about CCT. I made this choice early in the design and I don't think it'll ever change. Sorry.

BTW i like the 3D visualitazions of the sq-1 and the clock, they'r awesome

Thanks. It was a lot of work.

And i have a question, The average (last 12) excludes the best and worst times? or is calculated with the 12 times

It excludes the best and worst times. I'd like to call it "trimmed mean", but "average" is the official WCA nomenclature.

Last edited:

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
First I will say that this timer looks great (although I will not use it).

Any particular reason?

Would you be willing to change the stats around? Instead of mean/SD/best of 3/10, which few people use, it would be better to have the best time, current and recent average of 5/12 with SD (not counting the best/worst times), and possibly average of 100 and/or session average.

You mean in the main window, right? Well, it can be done. The stats code needs work anyway. I'll try to add "interquartile mean", "skewness" and "kurtosis" in the next release.