• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Software Question Thread

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Hi all,

I am currently using Cube Explorer 5.12 to generate 3x3 algorithms, but I need a more advanced program that is capable of generating generalized orientation algorithms. The constraints are much more complicated than 'direct solve'. In the case of orient-only, pieces are free to move around as long as their orientation is solved. Is such a program readily available?

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Cube explorer is the program you're looking for. Ctrl+click on a sticker to tell it to solve orientation while ignoring permutation. Shift+click on a sticker to tell it to solve permutation while ignoring orientation.

Superlaser

Cube algorithm image "creator"

Hi!

I would like to create algoritms like Andy Klise. In particular - the images. Is there a program that I can use? Thanks

HoileeUK

I found a link the other day to a piece of software that gives you a scramble that needs a predetermined number of moves to complete the cross. I haven't been able to find it since and have been looking for the last couple of days. Please help me find it again.

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
Is there a way that i can get cube explorer to work on my mac? Or is there another programm as a alternative?

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
I'm searching for a zbll trainer on which i can choose the OLL set AND the COLL set to practice them separately.
I have only seen zbll trainers which just give scrambles for all cases yet.
The best thing would be a timer in which i can choose, which zblls i know and just get scrambles for those

Last edited:

y235

WCA
2011BROD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not sure if it's puzzle theory or software, but - how are scrambles generated?
I looked at the code at Mark 2, and it seems that 2x2, 3x3 and Pyra are random state (which seems reasonable since optimally solving them is not that hard). For NxNxN, I think it just randomly generates moves - is that true? I couldn't figure out how do the SQ1 and Megaminx scramblers work (I'm assuming they're not random state since solving them would be hard, are they just random moves?)

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I looked at the code at Mark 2, and it seems that 2x2, 3x3 and Pyra are random state (which seems reasonable since optimally solving them is not that hard). For NxNxN, I think it just randomly generates moves - is that true? I couldn't figure out how do the SQ1 and Megaminx scramblers work (I'm assuming they're not random state since solving them would be hard, are they just random moves?)
Square-1 is random state, and so is 4x4. Check the readme for Tnoodle for details. 5x5x5 and up just apply (N-2)*20 random moves with some smart filtering to avoid trivial move sequences. Megaminx is also random moves with U turns added to rotate the puzzle at regular intervals. Interestingly, an essentially negligible fraction of possible states can be reached with the megaminx scrambles, but since there's no bias in those states, it doesn't matter much.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
From the regulations:

4b3) Specification for the scramble program: An official scramble sequence must produce a random state from those that require at least 2 moves to solve (equal probability for each state). The following additions/exceptions apply:
  • 4b3a) For blindfolded events, the scramble sequence must orient the puzzle randomly (equal probability for each orientation).
  • 4b3b) 2x2x2 Cube: The (random) state must require at least 4 moves to solve.
  • 4b3c) Skewb: The (random) state must require at least 7 moves to solve.
  • 4b3d) Square-1: The (random) state must require at least 11 moves to solve.
  • 4b3e) 5x5x5 Cube, 6x6x6 Cube, 7x7x7 Cube, and Megaminx: sufficiently many random moves (instead of random state), at least 2 moves to solve.
  • 4b3f) Pyraminx: The (random) state must require at least 6 moves to solve.
So the only puzzles to not use random state are 5x5-7x7 and Megaminx.

M

Malkom

For some reason i cant delete any times in CSTimer in Chrome how do I fix it?

ArcturusX

On QQtimer what is the default scramble length? I may have changed this, and I'm just curious.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
On QQtimer what is the default scramble length? I may have changed this, and I'm just curious.
For 3x3? There isn't one. Random state doesn't use a certain number of moves, it generates a random position the cube could be in and tells you a near-optimal way to get to it.

If you're using Old Style scrambles, the default is 25, but don't use old style - it's nowhere near as good as random state in almost every way.

Teoidus

Does anyone happen to have a definition file for the 4x4 for ksolve? I will have to make one myself if not, but I would much rather check first to see if the wheel has already been invented

CubingGenius

Does anyone know a good way to create pictures of certain algorithm cases on the cube, particularly LSLL cases that I can save to my computers?

I want to use that to have a good way to revise ZBLLs and LSLL cases I learn.