• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 4x4 Question Thread

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For Yau, is there any advantage in being y2 neutral and sometimes forming opposite color cross dedges? Or have you guys seen it be more advantageous to just stick with one cross color. I'm just as fast after redux since I dual-cross on 3x3, so thats not an issue

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For Yau, is there any advantage in being y2 neutral and sometimes forming opposite color cross dedges? Or have you guys seen it be more advantageous to just stick with one cross color. I'm just as fast after redux since I dual-cross on 3x3, so thats not an issue
Yeah I do yellow sometimes. Maybe like 1/4 of the time. I mosly do white though. For F2C I am truly nuetral.

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
Um.. What would be a good goal to get to for 4x4(Sub-X) and what steps should I do to get to it? I believe I'm about Sub-2:00 or something.. I use the normal beginners method.

lerenard

If you use coll on a 4x4, you have a greater chance of being able to solve the edges in one step (even if there's parity) but sometimes there will be four misplaced edges and parity. Is there a set of algorithms to solve these cases in one step?

Also, is it normal for the ll to take up 20% of your solve when you have double parity?

Last edited:

kshrubb

I'm around 2:00-2:15 with 4x4 (reduction + 2 edge pairing). I haven't practiced much so far because 3x3 is my forte and favorite. Currently, I am learning yau. Should I be trying to learn anything else? I'm working on my look-ahead currently.

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
I'm around 2:00-2:15 with 4x4 (reduction + 2 edge pairing). I haven't practiced much so far because 3x3 is my forte and favorite. Currently, I am learning yau. Should I be trying to learn anything else? I'm working on my look-ahead currently.

Yau and lots of practice. :) There really isn't much else to learn at all. Maybe try 3-2-3 edge pairing for yau. You could also take a look at hoya or even K4, but yau is by far the most popular.

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
Ugh.. trying to be color neutral with making centers for 4x4.. Not sure if this is needed to get faster, but I'm trying it anyway.. Would the color neutrality game (rolling a 1x1 and solving that center) help?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ugh.. trying to be color neutral with making centers for 4x4.. Not sure if this is needed to get faster, but I'm trying it anyway.. Would the color neutrality game (rolling a 1x1 and solving that center) help?
If you want to use Yau for 4x4, which most fast people do, then you don't need colour neutrality, only two opposite colours at most. I think most people use one cross colour for Yau and Feliks uses 2, so full CN isn't necessary.

WCA
2014BLOC01
If you use coll on a 4x4, you have a greater chance of being able to solve the edges in one step (even if there's parity) but sometimes there will be four misplaced edges and parity. Is there a set of algorithms to solve these cases in one step?

Yes, there are a few parity EPLLs.

Opposite swap and adjacent swap are well known, and for the O Perms and W perm, check the wiki's list of 4x4 parity algs.

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
Hmm..let's see here...

When I try pairing up edges for 4x4 and try doing two edges at a time, once I get the first edge and try to get the second on the slice back, I either get the edge paired up or it's in the wrong orientation (flipped). I also struggle if I'm looking for an edge on the top layer and it's not there. Do I just find the edge and place it on the top layer? Ugh.. so confused.. >_<