• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Clarity

Hey guys,

So i have been doing 3x3 cubing for about 4 months and got my time down to 26/27 sec average. I only know 4lll and i want to get at least sub 15 or less with it. I have seen videos that its possible but i want to hear from you guys. Should i just do that or learn full oll and full pll?

xyzzy

Hey guys,

So i have been doing 3x3 cubing for about 4 months and got my time down to 26/27 sec average. I only know 4lll and i want to get at least sub 15 or less with it. I have seen videos that its possible but i want to hear from you guys. Should i just do that or learn full oll and full pll?

If you decide not to learn full OLL and full PLL, you'll have to work a lot harder to get your F2L fast enough to be sub-15. You can get away with sticking to 4LLL for the sub-25 and maybe the sub-20 barriers, but for sub-15, it's way easier to just learn full PLL and at least the short OLL cases.

Clarity

If you decide not to learn full OLL and full PLL, you'll have to work a lot harder to get your F2L fast enough to be sub-15. You can get away with sticking to 4LLL for the sub-25 and maybe the sub-20 barriers, but for sub-15, it's way easier to just learn full PLL and at least the short OLL cases.
I think i will listen and learn full pll and some oll cases. Then i will just practice and hopefully i get my times lower to where i want them to be. Thanks so much for your assistance. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how im going in terms of the cube. <3

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
While it is certainly possible to get to sub 15 with 4LLL, it's easier and probably more fun to just learn PLL. PLL is not a difficult set to learn at all, and you already know almost a third of it.

Once you're comfortable with full PLL, you can decide about OLL. OLL is a larger set that doesn't have the same immediate benefit as PLL.

Often we are scared to take the easy route because it looks more difficult. We're comfortable sticking with what we know and avoid learning new things even if it makes it far more difficult for us to reach our goals. Sometimes we do this out of laziness, but more often we do it because we fear the unknown.

An absurd example that shows similar reasoning:
  • I've seen in videos that it's possible to run marathons of 26+ miles. It's it really necessary to learn to drive a car if I can just run everywhere instead?
Never be afraid to learn something new. You will often surprise yourself. Maybe this just means learning a new algorithm for cubing, maybe it means taking a more difficult major in college, and maybe it means applying for a job that's above your qualification or experience level.

Menial grunt work pays off in the short term. Learning new things pays off in the long term.

Last edited:

Mastercuber04

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you are aiming for sub 15 you definitly need full pll
I personaly know full oll (i avg 12)
But its not completely nessecsary
I would learn full pll and wait until sub 17 to dabble in oll
The most important thing at your level is f2l
Look up the most efficient algs and get them in your muscle memory
If you do begin learning pll
Find good algs from the start so you dont have to switch later

Clarity

While it is certainly possible to get to sub 15 with 4LLL, it's easier and probably more fun to just learn PLL. PLL is not a difficult set to learn at all, and you already know almost a third of it.

Once you're comfortable with full PLL, you can decide about OLL. OLL is a larger set that doesn't have the same immediate benefit as PLL.

Often we are scared to take the easy route because it looks more difficult. We're comfortable sticking with what we know and avoid learning new things even if it makes it far more difficult for us to reach our goals. Sometimes we do this out of laziness, but more often we do it because we fear the unknown.

An absurd example that shows similar reasoning:
  • I've seen in videos that it's possible to run marathons of 26+ miles. It's it really necessary to learn to drive a car if I can just run everywhere instead?
Never be afraid to learn something new. You will often surprise yourself. Maybe this just means learning a new algorithm for cubing, maybe it means taking a more difficult major in college, and maybe it means applying for a job that's above your qualification or experience level.

Menial grunt work pays off in the short term. Learning new things pays off in the long term.
Thanks so much. Now for oll, i heard you dont need to learn all of them. Should i just learn a couple so like 10 lol.

If you are aiming for sub 15 you definitly need full pll
I personaly know full oll (i avg 12)
But its not completely nessecsary
I would learn full pll and wait until sub 17 to dabble in oll
The most important thing at your level is f2l
Look up the most efficient algs and get them in your muscle memory
If you do begin learning pll
Find good algs from the start so you dont have to switch later
Yeah i agree. My f2l does need to be improved. I get 16 secs with cross and f2l which gives me the idea that learning full pll will significantly lower my time. My intention so far is to learn full pll then learn some f2l algs and continue that until im below 20 then as you said learn oll. Thanks so much for your contribution to the quesiton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mastercuber04

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah i agree. My f2l does need to be improved. I get 16 secs with cross and f2l which gives me the idea that learning full pll will significantly lower my time. My intention so far is to learn full pll then learn some f2l algs and continue that until im below 20 then as you said learn oll. Thanks so much for your contribution to the quesiton.
Yea, the biggest thing that helped me become sub 20 was learning f2l algs and putting them in your muscle memory, you need to be able to see an f2l case and automaticaly know what to do. Full pll is also VERY helpful
Im glad i was able to help you out in some way

Trovaa

I've learned corner only and edge only PLLs and currently only do OLL through beginner algs. I want to get faster, I just don't know where to start other than practicing which isn't doing much for me.
So, OLL or PLL? What cases?

Oatch

I've learned corner only and edge only PLLs and currently only do OLL through beginner algs. I want to get faster, I just don't know where to start other than practicing which isn't doing much for me.
So, OLL or PLL? What cases?

Make sure you know all the 4LLL algs first before you progress - this should be a pretty good starter system to use for CFOP LL. Since I don't know what exact 'beginner's algs' you use, make sure that the algs you have are good (efficient and fingertricky), and if not replace them. You should be able to perform OLL in two looks at most, so if you can't do this yet with your current algs, I recommend learning all the necessary algs to achieve this (these are the OCLL's and variations of F sexy F'). Plenty of people have videos on 4LLL algs so I recommend browsing around and see what suits you. Alg.db is another helpful resource you can consult for algs.

Then, once you have 4LLL comfortably under your belt, most people recommend going for full PLL before full OLL. You don't really have to follow any particular order learning these, just pick any case you don't know and go through and learn it. Again, plenty of videos online you can go through for good PLL algs so I'll leave that to you to investigate.

As for OLL, you don't really have to worry about learning full OLL immediately, most don't touch it until they get around sub-20/sub-15. So probably refrain from learning it until you at least have PLL completely sorted.

Trovaa

Then, once you have 4LLL comfortably under your belt, most people recommend going for full PLL before full OLL. You don't really have to follow any particular order learning these, just pick any case you don't know and go through and learn it. Again, plenty of videos online you can go through for good PLL algs so I'll leave that to you to investigate.

Alright. Should I practice on 4LLL algs by themselves one at a time or would it be a good idea to learn those and the algs for the PLL cases I get as I go along?

Dryabe

Right now all I know is the begginers method and I’m not sure if I should wait to learn cfop or if I should learn it earlier?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now all I know is the begginers method and I’m not sure if I should wait to learn cfop or if I should learn it earlier?

If you're sure CFOP is the method you want to use, there's never a reason to wait. Jump right in and see how you feel.

(If you're not sure CFOP is the method you want to use, I'd recommend this thread.)

FireCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use the begginers method and I average about 1:30

Oh yeah. You said that is the first post so I shouldn't of asked that :oops: I learned CFOP when I was about 45-50sec. My opinion is to try and get a little faster at what you are using now, and then start learning CFOP after that.

If you're sure CFOP is the method you want to use, there's never a reason to wait. Jump right in and see how you feel.

(If you're not sure CFOP is the method you want to use, I'd recommend this thread.)

Yeah.. I think @DGCubes way is better for you. I didn't think of it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude Blu

Noob cuber here!..I really want to find myself a cubing method other than beginners.....what are my options??mind explaining how each works?