One-Answer 3x3x3 Speedsolving Question Thread

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by teller, Jan 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Probably not, for most people. You could teach them LBL and demonstrate that it's possible to improve on LBL by doing the first two layers together, but going straight to F2L will alienate complete beginners. However, if your student manages to understand LBL quickly, they might be able to grasp intuitive F2L too.

2. sqAree

sqAree Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Berlin
    WCA:
    2015JAEH01
    YouTube:
    sqAree
    Out of the 3 people I taught cubing, 3 of them understood F2L fairly easily (I never bothered with LBL). One of them learned in 3 days, the others in one.
    I think a good part of it working is the motivation that comes along with actually understanding the solve and also that people are generally not motivated to learn algs in the beginning (for LBL you need one alg, actually two as beginners don't understand mirroring).

3. Aerma

Aerma Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Right here
    Is it worth it to learn Magic Wondeful?
    What if I already know COLL?

4. Space Cat

Space Cat Member

Apr 15, 2017
    shhhh it's a seeecreeet
    WCA:
    2017SEHA01
    Would it be easier for me to teach COLL and not OLL? It's something I've been considering for a while, thinking I could skip PLLs like the G and N perms.

JustinTimeCuber likes this.
  5. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Did you mean "teach" or "learn"? And do you already use full OLL?

I'm a bit biased towards COLL because I actually learnt full COLL before OLL (and I still haven't learnt full OLL), but unless you're really good at F2L edge control, you use ZZ, or you use some kind of EOLS, full OLL will have a larger immediate benefit than full COLL, as you won't be able to use COLL in every solve.

JediJupiter likes this.
  6. Aerma

Aerma Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Right here
    Also, if you use whatever method to always get a cross case for OLL, what if you get an OLL skip? You'll still need to learn all 21 PLLs then.

7. Or you could learn 2 PLLS then EPLL...

JediJupiter likes this.
  8. Joel2274

Joel2274 Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Colorado USA
    If I already know full OLL, should I learn WV or COLL next

9. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    I'd go with COLL personally, especially if you like EPLLs. If you don't really care what PLL case you get, I guess WV would be better.

I don't know any WV but I know ~75% of COLL, so I'm probably a little biased.

10. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    I also happen to know about 30 COLL algs and I say learn the 3CO case and the 2CO case then COLL.

11. TDM

TDM Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Oxfordshire, UK
    WCA:
    2013MEND03
    YouTube:
    TDM028
    COLL is far more useful, both in different methods and for different puzzles, and also comes up far more frequently than WV. You'll very rarely use WV.

12. Gamadan

Gamadan Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Hi! If I may ask, how did you practice look ahead in 3x3 from cross to F2l, F2l to F2l, F2l to OLL and OLL to PLL?

13. From Cross to F2L, solve crosses blindfolded, once you are confident enough to do so just do them blindfolded while checking for F2L pieces.
    F2L to F2L pair, it's just pure practice.
    F2L to OLL, just knowing some basic edge control and practice visualizing.
    OLL to PLL it's just knowing what you OLL does in terms of preserving blocks or corner permutation.

14. Gamadan

Gamadan Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Thank you for replying :D In F2l to F2L, may I ask your ideas on how I should practice slow solving with it? :D