• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 2x2x2 Question Thread

Reizii_

WCA
2019LAWS01
Recently, I've learned Ortega and I'm pretty happy with the times it gets me. However, I'd like to learn another method - one that's faster but doesn't require a ton of algorithms, like [the amount of algs in] EG. I've been considering CLL, but would that really be my best option?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Recently, I've learned Ortega and I'm pretty happy with the times it gets me. However, I'd like to learn another method - one that's faster but doesn't require a ton of algorithms, like [the amount of algs in] EG. I've been considering CLL, but would that really be my best option?
If you want a faster method then Ortaga then CLL is the best option for you to start with. There are 40 algs to learn for CLL (same with EG-1 and EG-2) but once you know full CLL you can get sub 4 pretty easy.

The other thing that will really help your times on 2x2 is to practice One Looking (which is what I am doing and working on). The more you can predict most or the full solve the better off you will be.

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As cubeshepard said, CLL is what you should learn. Probably around 25% of the Algs you will already know from 3x3 or 2x2. CLL is also part of the EG method, one of the 3 sets. Start focusing on efficient layers during the transition, and experiment with new ways to build layers in fewer moves

rubik2005

I think learning full CLL is going to make you faster then if you use Ortega. As for the cube, if you feel you can get good times with it and it fits your turning style, then stick with it. I don't know if the MF2 is good since I haven't tried one. But the Weipo and the Chuwen are both good options. I hope this helps!

Duncan Bannon

What do you average and how many CLLs do you know @LightFlame_ ?

I would recommend another 2x2. I recommend the Zhanglang. I set mine up with lubicle black on core and 10k elsewhere, it's my main. The MF2S is my favorite budget 2x2 and was my main for awhile.

LightFlame_

The Andromeda Galaxy (Over The Garden Wall)
WCA
2016OCAE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Duncan Bannon
My current ao100 is a 6.42, and I'd say that sub-7s are usually what I would expect from a normal 2x2 solve, but since it is 2x2, my times fluctuate a little. I'd say sub-10 (because I get a mixture of 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, and 8s).

I know 5 CLL cases. (All of the H cases, and Pi 1.) I define "knowing" as knowing how to recognize the case and how to execute it.

Where did you buy the Zhanglang from? I can't seem to find it on thecubicle.us. Thanks for your recomendations! I'll take them into account.

(Just hit me that you were trying to say the Zhanlang. My bad.)

Last edited:

Galcor117

I'd recommend the weipo to everyone. It doesn't require magnets, it's a perfect speed (for me), and it's stable.
This is coming from someone who's sub 4 with a 3x3 solving method. ha

Duncan Bannon

@LightFlame_
Yup meant Zhanlang :)

At that speed it entirely up to you. If your serious about getting near 3 seconds or sub 3, go for Cll. If 2x2 isnt one of your favorite events now, no sense in learning it. I learned about 5.5 seconds with LBL to CLL. Cll will take time to learn, but if your willing to learn it, go for it. If you have any problems with algs or fingertricks, PM me. I would use the "Best 2x2 Algs" doc for algs.

LightFlame_

The Andromeda Galaxy (Over The Garden Wall)
WCA
2016OCAE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@LightFlame_
At that speed it entirely up to you. If your serious about getting near 3 seconds or sub 3, go for CLL. If 2x2 isnt one of your favorite events now, no sense in learning it. I learned about 5.5 seconds with LBL to CLL. CLL will take time to learn, but if your willing to learn it, go for it. If you have any problems with algs or fingertricks, PM me. I would use the "Best 2x2 Algs" doc for algs.
Yeah! I'm feeling up to the challenge. Though I do know that you earn some seconds in the middle of learning how to recognize cases and execute them. When I learned the two Ortega algs for PBL, I think I gained five seconds, and those were just two algs. 37 more algs would be a lot. But hopefully I'll get better in the long run.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! I usually get my algs from all sorts of places. It's convenient that now I have two major sources of algs- AlgDB and the spreadsheet.