• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The thing that I'm enjoying about Pyra is the planning aspect. I'm finding it quite therapeutic outside of a comp environment.
I've never thought about it this way though what I like in big blindes in home is a some kind of relax when I do it.

I got 14:26.16 [7:49] with 50 seconds memo lockup during execution. What I've learnt some time ago is that if I got memo lockup during execution I do next group of targets. In this case it was during wings - and it was after centes - so I did midges. When I finished them suddenly memo was back and I could finish the solve.

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Man... you're breaking my heart! There are only 5 LL "algs" and they are all combos of the triggers R U R' / R U' R' / R' L R L'.

If you play around with the basic triggers and their mirrors you'll find all 5 of the Pyra LL "algs" for yourself.

The thing that I'm enjoying about Pyra is the planning aspect. I'm finding it quite therapeutic outside of a comp environment.
I enjoy pyraminx quite a bit myself but hardly ever practice. The way I see it there’s 9 LL cases, but I guess that counts mirrors. I remember Felix Lee had a video about tracking the keyhole edge through the “V”, essentially making every solve 2-look. Have you learned any Oka or 1-flip? I always figured I would but never have.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I enjoy pyraminx quite a bit myself but hardly ever practice. The way I see it there’s 9 LL cases, but I guess that counts mirrors. I remember Felix Lee had a video about tracking the keyhole edge through the “V”, essentially making every solve 2-look. Have you learned any Oka or 1-flip? I always figured I would but never have.

I don't know any of the top first methods; keyhole, oka, 1-flip, etc. I solve it v-first to finish with a subset of L4E, effectively forcing LL skips as I finish the first layer. I'll often use a flipped edge between first layer centres if it gives me an easy pseudo-v during inspection.

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know any of the top first methods; keyhole, oka, 1-flip, etc. I solve it v-first to finish with a subset of L4E, effectively forcing LL skips as I finish the first layer. I'll often use a flipped edge between first layer centres if it gives me an easy pseudo-v during inspection.
I think I do what you do but I’m a bit confused now cause I thought it was called keyhole. I solve the V first then the back edge leaving the last three edges on the front face.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think I do what you do but I’m a bit confused now cause I thought it was called keyhole. I solve the V first then the back edge leaving the last three edges on the front face.

There are two main types of Pyraminx method:

- top first where keyhole is the beginner / intermediate method
- v-first where layer-by-layer is the beginner / intermediate method and L4E is the most advanced

You'e doing keyhole whereas I do partial L4E... easily recognisable cases.

http://pyraminxl4e.strikingly.com

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I don't know what method I use but I know my Pyraminx solves take forever and look like I'm trying to restrain an unruly bat.

That's about where I'm at. I intuitively solve 1 layer, then use sune/anti-sune to place the remaining 3 edges, then flip the last 2 edges, if necessary. Gets me to about 25s if I don't mess up, 15s if I'm lucky. Good enough for me.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Been a bit busy without as much practice time, definitely need to drill some of my OLLs but mainly the low frequency ones as usual. Still seeing slow improvement and landed my best full step today at 17.03. Close but no cigar trying to take 3x3 single back from @SpartanSailor :D.

3bld went a while with only a few solves a day and a low to zero success rate. Now I've hit a spell where I'm probably around 2/3 the past few days. Such a streaky hobby.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
That's about where I'm at. I intuitively solve 1 layer, then use sune/anti-sune to place the remaining 3 edges, then flip the last 2 edges, if necessary. Gets me to about 25s if I don't mess up, 15s if I'm lucky. Good enough for me.
I think that’s about my method and time too.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Been a bit busy without as much practice time, definitely need to drill some of my OLLs but mainly the low frequency ones as usual. Still seeing slow improvement and landed my best full step today at 17.03. Close but no cigar trying to take 3x3 single back from @SpartanSailor :D.

3bld went a while with only a few solves a day and a low to zero success rate. Now I've hit a spell where I'm probably around 2/3 the past few days. Such a streaky hobby.
I’ve seen a few 17s and 18s recently. My son asked me yesterday, “when are you going to do that in a comp.” :confused: :?

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I’ve seen a few 17s and 18s recently. My son asked me yesterday, “when are you going to do that in a comp.” :confused: :?

I definitely know the feeling :D. Despite having an off day at Dixon I at least salvaged one victory with a low :22 single, which is on the faster side for me. One of these days I'll string a few good ones together at comp.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had a great time at the Great Lakes Championship. Nathan Dwyer (and the rest of the staff, including all the great delegates we had there) ran a fantastic competition! I'm very sorry I wasn't able to meet Phil there - Phil, I hope I see you at another competition sometime soon!

Donna Krueger (another oldie like us) made some good over-40 attempts - a 4/7 multi that was really 5/7, but she accidentally left a logo on one of her cubes and so had it disqualified. :-( She got 2 successes in 4BLD, and came in 8th at 3BLD! Her son was quite obviously very proud of her; he was hoping she would get 7/7 since that would have been state record.

As for me, my BLD efforts weren't great, but I guess they weren't terrible, actually. 5BLD was a disaster for me, but it also was for everyone else - no one got a successful solve at the competition. :-( I had one off by 3 pieces, one off by 5 pieces, and the third looked like I did a D' instead of a U' somewhere by accident, so it came out looking awful. My first 4BLD wasn't bad at all - only 4 seconds off my PB in competition. 3BLD was pretty bad; I wish I could have gone to the finals, but I had to leave the competition early (my daughter had a wonderful dance recital this afternoon that I was attending instead).

My multi result was not so impressive, but it really wasn't too bad, all things told. I did a 13-cube attempt in 55 minutes, and the memo was quite solid, except that I discovered I had forgotten a few sets of flipped edges. I remembered what they were but couldn't remember what locations they were in. :-( Should be easy to fix that in the future. That means it was a truly credible 13-cube attempt in 55 minutes, which means 14 should be quite doable. If I can get my 3BLD speed back to sub-minute like it was 5 years ago, I should be able to do 15 and maybe even 16 easily. So it's really just down to finding time to practice 3BLD for me to get to 16 cubes.

I had a pretty decent mean in FMC, 33 2/3. A good bit off my PB, but my PB was when I was practicing really hard for it (back then, I studied a lot of Heise and it really helped), and I also got really lucky on those solves. This time I had no lucky solves - I worked for it and got some decent results despite lack of practice, so it really felt good - it felt like I really earned it.

Speedsolving was fun for me at this competition. My first chance to use all my new hardware, and it was very helpful. I got 6 PBs - 3x3x3 average (my second sub-20 in competition - my first was 5 years ago!), 4x4x4 single, 7x7x7 single and average (I got 2 sub-6's in competition, and sub-6 was required to do an average - and I had only had one sub-6 ever in practice at home!), and skewb single and average (my new skewb results make me the fastest over-50 competitor on Logiqx's list!).

I did regress from freeslice to AvG for the competition. I tried it out a few days before the competition and discovered that AvG gave me a much better chance of making the cutoff, so I couldn't resist switching back. But practicing freeslice seems to make be better at both methods, so I intend to go back to practicing freeslice now. I'll just keep doing that (switching back to AvG right before competitions) until it stops helping. :)

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats Mike, @Mike Hughey! I think you didnt mention you were 3rd in 4bld.

Practice pays off though the scramble was easy:
41347027255_67608f3b15_c.jpg