• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Morning BLD practice? Wow. I don’t have the time in the morning. Or, I suppose I do, but I feel too much pressure to get mybday going. I usually find time (when I do) at the end of the day.

Then again, if I were doing it under a minute, I could sneak in some practice just about anywhere, anytime.

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
I kept up my 3bld hot streak from yesterday. After a few more successes I had 10 consecutive in CS timer and had 2 attempts at logging an Ao12! Then 2 DNFs... Both off by a pair of flipped edges. I am certain I did execute my memo for the pieces in question correctly both times, so they must have been memo errors. Didn't get the Ao12 this time, but 12 solves without execution errors isn't too bad either!

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow Mark, getting really strong at 3BLD :O

I still can't find time to practice anything I'd like to try some multi and BigBLD next week after the comp for the next comp (3 weeks later) just to try to get around my previous level. At Euros... I don't know what I'll be able to do I'll hace way less time on the weeks before and there I guess, But I'll definitely try.

First free time slot I manage to get, I'll get back to blind, I promise!

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
Hey guys. Is there anyone well informed on the whole Rubik's issue?

I live in a small city and a friend tagged me in a facebook post about a local toy store hosting a competition for speedcubing. I assume it's sponsored by Rubik since their advertisement says they'll provide the cubes for the comp. Seems typical of all the other Rubik's sponsored comps ive heard of since they've started trying to insert themselves into speedcubing.

I'm not against this local business using Rubik's. I just know that the topic will come up and I'd rather be informed on the issue rather then blindly talking negatively about Rubik brand products and what the company is doing.

Is Rubik being evil in anyway toward the WCA and the speedcubing community? I know there's a lawsuit against the cubicle I think. But I don't know any of the story behind it. Is the cubicle being wrongfully targeted?

Any links or info appreciated!

Cheers! :)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Hey guys. Is there anyone well informed on the whole Rubik's issue?

I live in a small city and a friend tagged me in a facebook post about a local toy store hosting a competition for speedcubing. I assume it's sponsored by Rubik since their advertisement says they'll provide the cubes for the comp. Seems typical of all the other Rubik's sponsored comps ive heard of since they've started trying to insert themselves into speedcubing.

I'm not against this local business using Rubik's. I just know that the topic will come up and I'd rather be informed on the issue rather then blindly talking negatively about Rubik brand products and what the company is doing.

Is Rubik being evil in anyway toward the WCA and the speedcubing community? I know there's a lawsuit against the cubicle I think. But I don't know any of the story behind it. Is the cubicle being wrongfully targeted?

Any links or info appreciated!

Cheers! :)
Here's the statement from thecubicle, this statement from WCA and discussion on reddit. There is also this reddit thread and this reddit thread.

TL;DR it depends on who you ask.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Is Rubik being evil in anyway toward the WCA and the speedcubing community?

I think I'd call it an "estranged relationship" at this point. The WCA changed all trademark references on the website to "3x3" and have made moves to acquire sponsorship from non-puzzle manufacturers for future competitions. I've been wrong speculating before, but I wouldn't be surprised if the move to incorporate as a Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation was also a move to protect themselves from aggressive trademark litigation. I can't say they've been attacked directly but they certainly seem to be taking a CYA attitude.

dboeren

I would say yes, Rubik's is misbehaving towards the community as well as TheCubicle specifically.

Back to old guy stuff... I'm 46 years old. I do cubes up to 7x7 and up to Teraminx, but I'm not that fast. I've basically been in and out of cubing every year or two and each time I kind of have to start over a little bit as I've forgotten some of my algorithms.

Anyway, this time I want to try for a bigger push. I'm a Roux solver (on all size cubes) and have to this point been using two-look CMLL. Last night I started learning full CMLL. In the past I though it would be too difficult due to age and limited time, but screw it - I'm going for it. I'm tired of being stuck at around 45 seconds and want to get to sub-30.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Did some 3BLD practice today. Tried to review less to push my memo a little. Got 1/5 but all were low to mid 6 mins. About a minute faster than normal. But all 4 DNFs were only off by a piece or two due to execution. A couple times I misidentified the sticker letter and placed it EXACTLY how I did the memo, so the error was in the memo. Another, I forgot a flipped edge. So, I’m okay with the errors given I wasn’t playing too safe. Still LOTS of room to improve my memo times...

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm back to big blindes. I had a crazy idea: in 196 days we got Polish Nationals. I thought if I do 3 solves of 5bld per day I might have chance to solve it during it and maybe got medal. Aother idea was that maybe doing big blindes will help my memo in 3bld. I got first sub 10 minutes memo in 5bld yesterday and 3:xx in 4bld - 4bld I was doing for weekly competition.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Coffee break PB: 3BLD single 39.55, my first sub-40. Scrambled an unsolved cube but the memo was LPVA IXRB SN / DW SJ BK. About 19.8 for both memo and exec.
Well done.

Did some 3BLD practice today. Tried to review less to push my memo a little. Got 1/5 but all were low to mid 6 mins. About a minute faster than normal. But all 4 DNFs were only off by a piece or two due to execution. A couple times I misidentified the sticker letter and placed it EXACTLY how I did the memo, so the error was in the memo. Another, I forgot a flipped edge. So, I’m okay with the errors given I wasn’t playing too safe. Still LOTS of room to improve my memo times...
Your times will tumble.
I'm back to big blindes. I had a crazy idea: in 196 days we got Polish Nationals. I thought if I do 3 solves of 5bld per day I might have chance to solve it during it and maybe got medal. Aother idea was that maybe doing big blindes will help my memo in 3bld. I got first sub 10 minutes memo in 5bld yesterday and 3:xx in 4bld - 4bld I was doing for weekly competition.
They are decent times and 3 solves a day will make a huge difference.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Wow, congrats to @mark49152 and @SpartanSailor on the 3bld and Ao5 respectively!

Had an off day at Dixon. 0/2 on 3bld plus DNS as I was over 10 mins on the first two and there was a 15 min cumulative limit. My memory was awful the entire time really had trouble getting anything to stick.

Typical "me" for 3x3 at comp: (1:03.45), 57.47, 35.87, 27.45, (22.39) lol. At least got a PB single by nearly 5 seconds on the last solve.