• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well apparently since Windows Movie Maker has gone out of Microsoft support they have removed the download. Not sure if anyone has a download of it for Windows 10 lying around? I have had to try a few other options and settled on Lightworks which seems to do the job without too much of a steep learning curve.

So with some delay by first Weston-super-Mare Open video. 5x5 Round 1:-

Average: 1:58.50
2:01.07, (2:01.89), 2:00.17, (1:53.91), 1:54.26

Off the pace with the first three solves but the last two were judged by @Shaky Hands , enough said ;)

PS: Need to get out of the habit of glancing at the timer. I did it on far too many solves this comp.
I ran into that a while back. I ended up buying Wondershare Filmora it was fairly cheap. I actually was so excited to have green screen capability (something I always wanted as a kid doing videos) that I ordered a green screen kit. Haha. Here's a couple private videos playing with the kids when we got it.

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@mark49152 - I saw your hands shaking on the last solve of your 16/17 on Saturday. Mine tend to shake in comp too mate. Would be great to see your WSMO solves.

@Fyzzna - Wow, just wow. That is some improvement. Do you mind me asking how old you are? Those are great times

-------

Well after some disappointing 4x4 solves at comp last weekend I did purchase a Moyu Aosu GTS M which was an instant main even over my Cubicle Labs WuQue M. Got lucky with parities this lunchtime to secure a PB ao5 and nearly a pure sub 55 average:-

Average of 5: 53.40
1. (55.23) B' D U B R' r2 U' F' B U' D2 F' f L2 r' F' f r2 L' u F' B' U' B' F2 U' L R2 B2 u' R u2 r2 u' B' F' f2 R2 f' D2
2. 53.06 U L2 B' U2 u2 r' L U2 u L F u F D' B U' B2 U L2 D' R U' B2 u2 L2 U B' F r' B u' r2 F2 r2 u2 L2 B' R2 D L'
3. 53.82 F D U2 u L r2 B2 u U B D2 F u' B r2 R2 F2 R' L F u U2 D' f' F D U' F u L' R' F' R2 B2 f' R2 r D' r2 D2
4. 53.31 U' L' B2 r' D' B2 U' F2 L r D F2 f2 R2 f' D L' f' R r D' L B2 L2 U' f' D2 r2 D2 L f r2 R' D r' B2 D2 F2 D r
5. (52.97) r F' L2 u' B2 r2 F2 B f R B2 f2 D' B' u' B u2 B2 R' r U u' L' f' L' f2 F2 R' r' L F' L2 F2 B' f' R D2 f2 B F

Fyzzna

Wow Teach me senpai!
Hah, I suppose a good strong coffee in the morning and the feeling of almost having finished your dissertation does wonderful things to you

@Fyzzna - Wow, just wow. That is some improvement. Do you mind me asking how old you are? Those are great times
Thanks, I was quite shocked at those times myself, pretty sure those records will not be broken for quite a while. I'm 28 (which is probably below the average age here but I still feel like an oldie in this hobby :)).

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys!!! Lot's of stuff since I last checked in here!

Congrats to @mark49152 for that great 16/17 MBLD PB and everyone also on their own comp PBs. Sorry to hear that @Selkie was not lucky in 3x3 but you got plenty other comp PBs to compensate. Impressive 6x6 PB by @One Wheel !! You beat my own PB by almost a minute now, mate! I'm still faster at 3x3 though ;) not sure for how long.

@Jason Green That green screen looks like a lot of fun but you also have a couple nice spotlights. How much did all that equipment set you back? By the way, I love to see your kids on video again. They always put a smile on my face.

Regarding video editing I'm still using Windows Movie Maker but I'll need to change soon, now that I'm taking my YouCuber aspect more seriously. I'm thinking about a new mic and my camera does not accept mic input so I'll have to record audio separately and synch it while editing, something WMM does not allow easily. Also it's very limited in effects and capabilities, as well as a little buggy. So I'll take into consideration Lightworks as an alternative, unless somebody has a better one. Not sure how good Wondershare Filmora is but I wouldn't say 59,99 € is cheap. I was thinking about Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum which is 49,99 € and it already seemed a little too much for a cheapskate like me :)

One last thing, I'm waiting for my Aosu GTS M to arrive. Glad to know it is even better than a Cubicle WuQue M. I started to practice 4x4 today a bit waiting for it to arrive, so I can properly compare it with my Juki WuQue M and I got a single PB of 53.08, more than two seconds better than the old one, and that taking into account the cube almost slipped during OLL and I lost like 1 second or more.

And no, today there is no video :D (maybe this weekend).

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Impressive 6x6 PB by @One Wheel !! You beat my own PB by almost a minute now, mate! I'm still faster at 3x3 though ;) not sure for how long.
Thanks. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping ahead of me on 3x3. I'm sitting at 493 3x3 solves in my main cstimer session and 715 6x6 solves. Those ratios don't include untimed solves, obviously, and I do more idle untimed 3x3 than 6x6, but the only way I see myself making much progress on 3x3 is if I buckle down and decide to learn full OLL.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
My story right now from a typical A012:

a012.png

Clearly shows I still have unfinished business. On one hand I feel like I should quit timing for a while because I'm too inconsistent for anything beyond a good Ao5 right now. On the other hand I'm primed for landing something in the 15s at any moment with a perfect storm.

Slower:
* Some of my F2L adjustments aren't automatic yet and looking ahead is causing me to mis-solve some pairs... ending in the fun of stopping, looking confused, and solving 5 or 6 pairs.

* Final new OLLs, especially recognition on some of them

* Lookahead still frustratingly only allows me to fully harness it for a few solves before reverting to "hunting" for pairs in 30s solves again.

Faster:
* A lot more attention to edge control, at the very least with the last pair. I've worked on alternate insertions for misoriented U face edges and I think it really makes a difference considering I only know one dot OLL.

* General F2L improvements for cases that have historically slowed me

* Expanded OLL: still some to learn even ignoring the dot OLLs but I'm 1-looking OLL more than half the time and it's a clear difference as the newer ones solidify.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can see my hands shaking and the cube locking all over the show! I think I will finally make the switch to magnets. They might make the cube a bit more forgiving of the shaky hands :)
I got a bit shaky in my MBLD when I thought I might get 4 but managed to switch my focus on to the job in hand.
Have you tried many magnetic cubes? Any idea what your preference might be?

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
@pglewis - self critique and analysis like that will get you there. Plateaus can be very frustrating but work on the weaknesses and I'm sure you'll get your 15 soon :)

Thanks, I shouldn't be particularly surprised really. Given my Ao50 I was roughly in the 28s before this latest round of tinkering. I'm about half done with that and lo and behold: half my solves are faster and half still regressed. The frustrating part is starting with Ao5s in the 23s (pretty fast for me) and then having the bell-curve catch up in the next 5. It's hard to cheat averages, it's like they know!

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
The frustrating part is starting with Ao5s in the 23s (pretty fast for me) and then having the bell-curve catch up in the next 5. It's hard to cheat averages, it's like they know!
That is frustrating indeed. I've tried to blame concentration, or getting nervous for closing in on some new pb, but none of that has helped solve the issue...

Oh, and hi there oldies! Long time no see! :) Long time no much cubing for me either, unfortunately. I just started doing some timed solves again to see where I'm at. 200 solves into my cubing relapse the large averages are steadily above 21s, probably largely because I'm having problems remembering some OLLs. If I can get them all back up to speed it should be better. I've also seen several full-step 15s and an Ao5 within .5 seconds of old pb, so it's not all lost yet, I hope.

I had to come here because of that Ao5, to check what my old pb was. I lost all my old data from cstimer when I had to do a fresh install of Windows. Do you guys backup your solves into excel, or something?