• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Northeast Championship

U

Underwatercuber

I’m not going so it doesn’t affect me really but it makes me sad to see that there are so few events. Most of the other regional championships have all the events or only cut clock but this is waaaay worse than any of those. It looks like the biggest problem is the fact that it’s only a two day comp but they could get the venue for a third day if they wanted. Great Lakes, southeast and heartland all have fewer competitors and lower entrance fees but all of them managed to hold 3 day comps with all the events. You could argue that the venues in the north east region are smaller or more expensive but I’m sure with more planning they could find a suitable one. Another solution would be to remove things like the 4th round of 3x3 (I don’t think any of the other regionals comps have that) and make the cutoffs and time limits for all the events stricter so that they could make additional free time.

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
Try to find a venue in the northeast for a decent price that can fit 1200 people, and you can get for all 3 days of a key weekend in June. Also do some research, some other regionals have 4 rounds of 3x3. Also read my previous post because I answered half your questions there.

Last edited:
U

Underwatercuber

Try to find a venue in the northeast fnortheast for a decent price that can fit 1200 people, and you can get for all 3 days of a key weekend in June. Also do some research, some other regionals have 4 rounds of 3x3. Also read my previous post because I answered half your questions there.
1. All my ideas are only ideas and speculations
2. I should have done research on the 4 rounds, it just proves that the other comps having 3 days really just does open up so much more.
3. I’m not going to read 5 pages of post and make some super crazy argument about why this comp is good or bad. I’m just pointing out some things I think might need to be worked on. I’m just speculating on most of these things but I’m just voicing what I think they could do to improve the competitions in the future.

U

Underwatercuber

Yeah your ideas are just speculation, but making claims saying that they didn't try hard enough to find a good venue is ridiculous.
I never said they didn’t try hard enough, I just said that I’m sure they could spend some more time to find a better suited venue

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for double post, but I accidentally clicked post when I wasn't done and I can't figure out how to insert quotes editing on mobile

Ok first off buffers are a necessity for a competition trying to do this much in two days with this many competitors that doesn't want to fall behind. Also none of these events are too long for a 350 person competition.

What I've heard is that regional competitons are for competitors who can't make it to national championships to be able to experience a large scale competition.

Also in reply to everyone who complains about events and such, find other competitions or host one yourself.

Also barely anyone in the northeast is serious about bigbld, fmc, clock, or feet. And don't bother saying DRL for feet, that's one person. It's a 350 person comp.
In response to both of your posts:
Competitions like MD and IPM have been able to support the same amount of competitors and with just as many events. With the entire Northeast focusing on one competition, you would think that it would be possible to hold at least a few more events and rounds. And regions are proving that it’s possible to rent a venue for 3 days and hold every event with many rounds. I would pay almost double the registration fee to get something like Southeast championships. Then entire reason I was so excited for regional championships was to get to do every event, not a 2-7 fest. I have only been to one FMC competiton per year pretty much, many events aren’t held very often and NE champs should have them imo

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
You definitely make some valid points about the lack of fmc, but:
Pencil mania had the exact same events as Northeast champs and just a few more rounds.
Maryland has far less events (but is not two full days.)
A 2-7 fest isn't really true, as only one round of 6 and 7.
You do make a valid point about doubling registration, and I believe most competitors could afford that, and with double the money a larger venue could likely be found, but for some competitors paying 100 for a comp besides Nationals isn't affordable.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
Another solution would be to remove things like the 4th round of 3x3 (I don’t think any of the other regionals comps have that) and make the cutoffs and time limits for all the events stricter so that they could make additional free time.
Going back to what @DGCubes was saying, the championship should be were you can qualify for Nats in all/most of the events. The Championships should be for more experienced competitors and have stricter cuttoffs than normal competitions.

In response to both of your posts:
Competitions like MD and IPM have been able to support the same amount of competitors and with just as many events. With the entire Northeast focusing on one competition, you would think that it would be possible to hold at least a few more events and rounds. And regions are proving that it’s possible to rent a venue for 3 days and hold every event with many rounds. I would pay almost double the registration fee to get something like Southeast championships. Then entire reason I was so excited for regional championships was to get to do every event, not a 2-7 fest. I have only been to one FMC competiton per year pretty much, many events aren’t held very often and NE champs should have them imo
Totally agree. The NE is one of the biggest cubing communities in the country so leaving out uncommon events is sad. The NE Champs should be one of the biggest championships.

I do have to say though I appreciate all the people involved in organizing the Championships. It takes a lot of time,effort,etc. and this is only the first year doing these so it will take some time to figure out what works best for the entire community.

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
What I heard from a delegate, either kit or Bob, don't remeber, was that regionals were for newer competitors to get a large comp experience if they can't afford to travel to nats.

U

Underwatercuber

What I heard from a delegate, either kit or Bob, don't remeber, was that regionals were for newer competitors to get a large comp experience if they can't afford to travel to nats.
I would argue part of a large comp experience is seeing all the events, not just a bunch of the events you see at most competitions anyway.

U

Underwatercuber

So ignoring the venue issue, if you have the venue you do, and you only have 2 days, how would you fit in fmc, click, and the such?
Well ideally you would raise prices so you could afford another day or find a new venue that’s lest costly. If you couldn’t do that though it would probably be best to make the cutoffs harder (part of the large comp experience after all :p)

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
I highly doubt the reason this is only two days is not cost. This is a major weekend in June, many graduations and graduation reunions are this weekend, and they also need Friday night to setup I'm guessing. I also don't know if staff comp is Friday.

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
Some more thoughts I have on this:
Chill out on the organizers. It's not like they're trying to have less rounds to annoy people.
Stop acting entitled. You aren't entitled to a certain number of rounds or anything.
Stop complaining just to complain. Are you actually going to not go because of the limited rounds. ( Not directed at you will, you have something else) but if you were planning on going, is this events list going to stop you? It's also still plenty of events.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
If any of you would like to host the Northeast Championship next year, feel free to submit a proposal later this year when we have an open call for applications. :p
Bob, I know you have put a lot of work into organizing the Championships so I hope the previous posts weren't too disheartening. We all do appreciate the time you put into the WCA. Thank you.:)

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Sorry for double post, but I accidentally clicked post when I wasn't done and I can't figure out how to insert quotes editing on mobile

Ok first off buffers are a necessity for a competition trying to do this much in two days with this many competitors that doesn't want to fall behind. Also none of these events are too long for a 350 person competition.

What I've heard is that regional competitons are for competitors who can't make it to national championships to be able to experience a large scale competition.

Also in reply to everyone who complains about events and such, find other competitions or host one yourself.

Also barely anyone in the northeast is serious about bigbld, fmc, clock, or feet. And don't bother saying DRL for feet, that's one person. It's a 350 person comp.

It’s really funny how Colorado Qualifier as a whole just disproved all of your points.