• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Cube Simulator

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everybody.

I was playing with "jflySim" recently and I don't know if it's only on my machine but for any size bigger than 3x3x3, it is really slow.
So I took the decision to write my own simulator.

Here it is.

Short list of features :
- Runs under Windows XP (I don't know for Seven or other Windows versions).
- Simulate any cube size from 2x2x2 to 50x50x50.
- Everything is keyboard controlable, shortcuts for turns are (nearly) the same than in "jflySim" or "higames.net". With a few more.
- 15s inspection time.
- Full history of turns, so you have undo/redo for the whole solution.
- Replay mode.
- Solver for any cube size (from Ken Silverman and Ben Jos Walbeehm), pushes the solution to the history.
- Load/Save any cube state (with history).
- Pause solve (turns all colors to white to prevent cheating).
- Two ways to scramble the cube : randomly or paste from clipboard.
- Adjustable gap between facelets. Facelet outlining ( can be disabled).
- Possibility to change view using the mouse.

I used C++/OpenGL to make it. And I also used SFML library for conveniance (mouse + keyboard inputs, etc...).
You will also probably need to have Microsoft redistributable c++ 2008 libraries installed. You can find them here :
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29

IMPORTANT : I have an AZERTY keyboard, so you might have some problem using keys like A/Q, M/?, etc if you are using a QWERTY one. All you have to do is to press
the SHIFT and ALT key once together. It will toggle your keyboard between QWERTY and AZERTY, so the problem disappears.

Here is the link to download it :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28029645/Kube.zip

The zip includes a little "readme.txt" with minimal instructions (basically press F12 in the software to learn how to use it).

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
They already are like in jfly's for these 2 keys. You seem to have a QWERTY keyboard. Just switch to AZERTY by pressing SHIFT + ALT simultaneously (once you are in the simulator's window). That will do it for now.
I'm planning to add an editable shortcut file.

Rook

Here are some problems:

NKkEI.png

Get that error every time I open the exe. The sim still works, though.

The Shift+Alt (did you mean Ctrl+Alt?) thing doesn't work if you don't have the Azerty layout in the language bar. I have Qwerty and Dvorak, so it makes it impossible to solve by doing that. I would strongly recommend that you make it Qwerty by default since the large majority of us use Qwerty. This problem alone stops me from wanting to try a speedsolve on this sim since I can only do y' with letter Q and y with M.

I love the fact that you've got M slices, but I don't like the fact that they're right above the U keys. I can only moo quickly if it's M' U' or M U, and in other cases I have to reposition my middle fingers onto the M keys. If not that, I have to painstakingly go back and forth with my index fingers.

This thing has potential.

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok ok, I knew that my AZERTY keyboard would cause some trouble ^^. I thought that the AZERTY mode was on every PC but it seems I was wrong !
I will add a shortcut definition file tomorrow and reupload the new version. And I will also set all shortcuts to QWERTY by default.
Any idea for better M/M' shortcuts ? In fact I don't like them neither.

Edit : I will also set antialiasing to 0 by default instead of 4.

aaronb

When I try to open the .exe, it brings up two windows (not sure if this is supposed to happen or not), and then it automatically says, "Kube.exe has stopped working"... I'll add pic in a sec.

EDIT:
*picture of problem*

Same thing happened to me, and I even downloaded C++ Redistributable 2008 thing, from the link at the top. Any suggestion, anyone?

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
The "2 windows" is ok, it's a console application so you have a DOS windos in addition to the Simulator window.

collinbxyz, it seems that you are under Windows Seven. I will get back another PC on Thirsday with Seven on it. If the problem is Windows Seven then I should be able to fix it.
Have you tried the compatibility mode of Seven (to launch an app as if you where running Windows XP) ?

aaronb

The "2 windows" is ok, it's a console application so you have a DOS windos in addition to the Simulator window.

collinbxyz, it seems that you are under Windows Seven. I will get back another PC on Thirsday with Seven on it. If the problem is Windows Seven then I should be able to fix it.
Have you tried the compatibility mode of Seven (to launch an app as if you where running Windows XP) ?

Compatibility mode worked like a charm. Thank you, I'll be glad to try out the sim. :)

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
I compiled statically to see if it works better under Windows Seven (after some reading on SFML and Seven). You can use the same link to download it.
Anyway, I am tired (it's 1 AM here ^^) and I work tomorrow so good night folks !

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok I've uploaded a new version with a shortcut definition file. I have also included an AZERTY definition file for, well french users like me ? ^^. Anyway the default file is for QWERTY users.

Thanks for the feedback !

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
Rw can be done with SHIFT + R keys. But I could add shortcuts for wide L and R turns I think.
For the replay, note that it replays from the current state (so if you just did your solve it will do nothing). First press "home" to undo all moves. Then press F3 to launch the replay.

I will add the statistics computation (in fact it's already done for another app I done to compute advanced stats from my CCT logs), but the text display part of my code is really ugly now, i have to do something better before I add more text ^^.