• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Multiblindfold Discussion (PBs, Successes, Fails)

WCA
2015ALEK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Got 4 new cubes today and did the first 28 cubes attempt - 27/28 58:19[36:14]
Splits:
1-8: 7:06 [good]
9-16: 7:39 [bad]
17-24: 7:21 [ok...]
1-24 review: 9:22(23.42s/cube) [bad as always] //This is the first time I do 1-24 review and not 1-20.
25-27: 3:54 [awful]
28: 0:46 [horrible]

77.64s/cube memo - ok, should be faster
47.32s/cube execution - very bad, I had a lot of pauses
124.96s/cube total - I need sub-120 to be able to solve 30 sub-hour.
DNF reason(7th cube): executed 2nd image first, then 1st.
I will improve it tomorrow.

Last edited:

BenBergen

WCA
2015BERG10
Would any 20+ point MBLDers out there be able to offer suggestions on how to reach 20 points and beyond myself? Currently the most cubes I can consistently fit into an hour is 19, and I'm a loss for how to improve further. For reference my current memorization system and approximate slits are:

Memorize 1-6 [5:00] - Forming my initial images (~40s/cube) and briefly visualizing them in the context of my memory palace (~10s/cube)
Review Memo 1-6 [3:00] - Tracing through each cube to review my images, and to ensure I didn't make any memo mistakes
Review 1-6 [2:00] - More thoroughly visualizing images in the context of my memory palace to cement them into my mind

Repeat with 7-12 [10:00]

Repeat with 13-18 [10:00]

Review 1-12 [5:00] - Once again visualizing images in the context of my memory palace
Latch 1-18 [3:00] - Visualizing specifically the first image of each sequence (If you've ever watched Noah Arthurs' 3Bld tutorials, I use his idea of latching onto a specific image within a sequence in order to remember the entire thing)

3Bld cube [1:00]

Execution [17:00] - Following my 3Bld cube, I solve 13-18 first before doing 1-12

As well, some more details about how I memorize:
- Each room of my memory palace has 3 locations, one for the first 3 edge letter pairs, another for the remaining edges, and a third for the corners
- I memorize twisted corners with people (I have a specific person I use in my memo that corresponds to each possible corners twist), and flipped edges with music (I have a specific song that corresponds to each edge). I don't have a separate location in each room for twists and flips, I just incorporate them with the rest of my memo.

Any suggestions on how to improve?
Practice tips, or simply hearing about other effective memorization systems that people use would be appreciated.

kake123

WCA
2016SOON01
Would any 20+ point MBLDers out there be able to offer suggestions on how to reach 20 points and beyond myself? Currently the most cubes I can consistently fit into an hour is 19, and I'm a loss for how to improve further. For reference my current memorization system and approximate slits are:

Memorize 1-6 [5:00] - Forming my initial images (~40s/cube) and briefly visualizing them in the context of my memory palace (~10s/cube)
Review Memo 1-6 [3:00] - Tracing through each cube to review my images, and to ensure I didn't make any memo mistakes
Review 1-6 [2:00] - More thoroughly visualizing images in the context of my memory palace to cement them into my mind

Review 1-12 [5:00] - Once again visualizing images in the context of my memory palace
Latch 1-18 [3:00] - Visualizing specifically the first image of each sequence (If you've ever watched Noah Arthurs' 3Bld tutorials, I use his idea of latching onto a specific image within a sequence in order to remember the entire thing)

Execution [17:00] - Following my 3Bld cube, I solve 13-18 first before doing 1-12

- Each room of my memory palace has 3 locations, one for the first 3 edge letter pairs, another for the remaining edges, and a third for the corners
- I memorize twisted corners with people (I have a specific person I use in my memo that corresponds to each possible corners twist), and flipped edges with music (I have a specific song that corresponds to each edge). I don't have a separate location in each room for twists and flips, I just incorporate them with the rest of my memo.

Practice tips, or simply hearing about other effective memorization systems that people use would be appreciated.

Try to work towards getting 7-8min total memo for every 6 cubes, I suggest dropping the 'checking' portion, that will save 3min

Not sure if this helps, but you might want to try it: after you memo and review cubes 13-18, review cubes 12-7, review cubes 6-1 and then finally review cubes 1-18

The advantage is that memo of cubes recently memoed are still fresh in memory

Another way is after memoing and reviewing cubes 7-12, review cubes 1-12 but very quickly

Also making use of POA system instead of constantly using the same image, etc helps alot (I have yet to work on this fully, but going through Tom Nelson's doc on some letter pairs did help)

For example: XT is Terminator for person , Shatter for action and Cert for object. (If you don't have this problem, then you can ignore this advice on letter pairs)

As for practice, I would suggest every two days do a full 20 cube attempt, and for the next day do a smaller attempts (3-11 cubes), but work on speed.

WCA
2015ALEK01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Never heard about groups of 6, you should try memoing in groups of 8(most mblders memorize in groups of 8).
Memo 1-2; Review 1-2
Repeat for 3-4; 5-6; 7-8;
Review 1-8;

Then after memorising all groups you review all of them. And do separate MBLD at the end. After executing this separate MBLD, you execute all 8-cube groups, starting from the first.
Example for 20 MBLD:
1-8
9-16
Review 1-16
Memo and review 17-19
Memo 20 as 3BLD and execute
Execute 17-19
Execute 1-16

One important tip: try to spend more time on primary memo, but less time on reviews. When you feel comfortable, you can spend less time on primary memo.
You should practice only with big attempts that you can't do sub-hour. At least once in two days. But ideally you should do attempts daily.

BenBergen

WCA
2015BERG10
Try to work towards getting 7-8min total memo for every 6 cubes, I suggest dropping the 'checking' portion, that will save 3min

Not sure if this helps, but you might want to try it: after you memo and review cubes 13-18, review cubes 12-7, review cubes 6-1 and then finally review cubes 1-18

The advantage is that memo of cubes recently memoed are still fresh in memory

Another way is after memoing and reviewing cubes 7-12, review cubes 1-12 but very quickly

Also making use of POA system instead of constantly using the same image, etc helps alot (I have yet to work on this fully, but going through Tom Nelson's doc on some letter pairs did help)

For example: XT is Terminator for person , Shatter for action and Cert for object. (If you don't have this problem, then you can ignore this advice on letter pairs)

As for practice, I would suggest every two days do a full 20 cube attempt, and for the next day do a smaller attempts (3-11 cubes), but work on speed.

Thanks for the tips! The POA system sounds really interesting. I do sometimes have trouble with a certain image recurring several times in my memo, or the image I use for a certain letter pair not connecting well with the previous image. POA seems like a good solution; I think I'll at least try it with corner twists to see if it helps.

Could you link me to Tom Nelson's doc though? I can't seem to find it.

Never heard about groups of 6, you should try memoing in groups of 8(most mblders memorize in groups of 8).
Memo 1-2; Review 1-2
Repeat for 3-4; 5-6; 7-8;
Review 1-8;

Then after memorising all groups you review all of them. And do separate MBLD at the end. After executing this separate MBLD, you execute all 8-cube groups, starting from the first.
Example for 20 MBLD:
1-8
9-16
Review 1-16
Memo and review 17-19
Memo 20 as 3BLD and execute
Execute 17-19
Execute 1-16

One important tip: try to spend more time on primary memo, but less time on reviews. When you feel comfortable, you can spend less time on primary memo.
You should practice only with big attempts that you can't do sub-hour. At least once in two days. But ideally you should do attempts daily.

Thanks, I was already considering switching from 6 cube blocks to 8, so I think I'll try that out now.

Question about reviewing as well; what is your mental approach when reviewing 2 cubes, compared to reviewing an 8 cube block, compared to final review? From watching your videos, it seems like when reviewing 2 cubes you simply trace through your images a second time, while when doing an 8 cube block review, or final review you are more focused on visualizing the images. Is this true?

WCA
2015ALEK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Question about reviewing as well; what is your mental approach when reviewing 2 cubes, compared to reviewing an 8 cube block, compared to final review? From watching your videos, it seems like when reviewing 2 cubes you simply trace through your images a second time, while when doing an 8 cube block review, or final review you are more focused on visualizing the images. Is this true?
It actually depends on the attempt(amount of cubes and if I am going going for accuracy or for speed). But usually I try to follow these rules:
Primary memo - I just create sentences and "put" them on locations, just saying to myself for example: "On the table there is (sentence)". I don't visualise or link them much, just a bit. It currently takes me 20-30s/cube.
1-2 review - I am going through memo again and trying to link it to location. Currently it takes me 8-13s/cube.
1-8 review - I review how I linked all sentences in 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 reviews.
1-24 review - I just review all cubes. Also I make sure if I linked all of the sentences well. Once in ~2 attempts I fail this and don't notice at least one bad linking, that causes memo forgettings in execution. Reason: lack of concentration.
And I don't visualise my memo very much. I mostly link it. If I am not mistaken, Maskow also doesn't visualise his memo.
"linking" is when I include location in sentence that I make from words. I don't visualise it very much, I just say sentence to myself. If you are creative, you can make funny and bizarre sentence, It will be easier to memorise.
words = "teacher, pen, book", location = door
Sentence that I say = "A teacher is stuck in the door because there is a pen in the lock. I will write a book about it."

BenBergen

WCA
2015BERG10

Thanks!

It actually depends on the attempt(amount of cubes and if I am going going for accuracy or for speed). But usually I try to follow these rules:
Primary memo - I just create sentences and "put" them on locations, just saying to myself for example: "On the table there is (sentence)". I don't visualise or link them much, just a bit. It currently takes me 20-30s/cube.
1-2 review - I am going through memo again and trying to link it to location. Currently it takes me 8-13s/cube.
1-8 review - I review how I linked all sentences in 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 reviews.
1-24 review - I just review all cubes. Also I make sure if I linked all of the sentences well. Once in ~2 attempts I fail this and don't notice at least one bad linking, that causes memo forgettings in execution. Reason: lack of concentration.
And I don't visualise my memo very much. I mostly link it. If I am not mistaken, Maskow also doesn't visualise his memo.
"linking" is when I include location in sentence that I make from words. I don't visualise it very much, I just say sentence to myself. If you are creative, you can make funny and bizarre sentence, It will be easier to memorise.
words = "teacher, pen, book", location = door
Sentence that I say = "A teacher is stuck in the door because there is a pen in the lock. I will write a book about it."

Ok, interesting. I'll try to do more linking instead of visualizing and see how that works.

T1_M0

WCA
2017NORR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now I'm seriously starting to feel that I'll have the NR by the end of the year. I'm totally comfortable doing super safe 13/13 attempts in under 45 minutes. Yes, I tried reviewing after every 2 cubes and the memo immediately started to flow much more nicely. This week I'll probably try a 20 cube attempt at least once and maybe try to raise my comfortability bar to through 15 to 17 cubes in under an hour.

Btw I did a 12/13 to the weekly comp, an absolutely perfect attempt. But.. I totally forgot to memo the corners of the last cube. How stupid can you be not to notice that, during the three times I reviewed that cube? :D

WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
After my 8/8 yesterday, I'm thinking about some stuff:

- Using assorted cubes so their color schemes and feelings are pretty different: Does it affect you at all?

I have the impression this throws me off because I need to constantly adapt during memo, and don't even get me started on execution. Overall flow for each step is IMO seriously affected, especially execution.

- Packs / Reviews: What's the ideal ratio for packs before I get into the 12+ league?

For 9 cubes I do 4/4/1 (Pack / Pack / 3BLD) and for this attempt of 8, I ended up doing 4/3/1. It was good, but I still feel my memo was slower than it should have been. I can do 5 cubes sub 25, for reference (using good cubes, nonetheless).

WCA
2015ALEK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
PB 27/27 54:47[34:20]
Slow and safe attempt:D. 27/27 at the 27th day of the month, what a coincidence!
1-8: 7:25[not good]
9-16: 8:38[really bad]
17-24: 8:25[bad]
Review 1-24: 7:45[good]
25-26: 1:23[safe]
27: 0:42[wtf]
Memo per cube: 76.30s
Execution per cube: 45.44s
Total time per cube: 121.74s

arquillian

WCA
2014KOUL01
one week of no practice ruined my flow...
official 21/23 56:09, PB, 37-38 memo I think
memo for first 16 was 20, which is terrible, but safety reviews and last 7 were ridiculously fast. comp environment took a while to get used to I guess...
didn't even advance from NR3 to NR2, ties Kabyanil for points, time's a minute worse (he has 20/21 55 minutes)

WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
After my two official attempts and getting feedback from people, I found my memorization is dumb.

It's super slow because I take too long to strengthen up the images, which is a stupid strategy. From now on I will start doing rush memo and a stronger, more efficient review for each individual pack and off we go.

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My last several attempts have been littered with silly memo mistakes, the most common being where I read my edge letter scheme incorrectly. For example, I want to shoot to BR and try to put the BR letter in my memo, but instead I use the BL letter. Usually the error in this case is using the letter which is mirrored across the M-slice (as in the example I gave).

Does this happen to anyone else? I can't seem to get rid of this problem. It never happens in regular BLD, only multi.

I decided to try super hard to focus on this during a 21 cube attempt today. Memo was slow, but the attempt felt good, I thought it could be 21/21. But I took the blindfold off to find 10/21. One memo mistake (not the kind mentioned above), and 12 execution/recall mistakes. Since I've been keeping close track, only once have I had more than 4 execution/recall mistakes in an attempt. :(

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap cube (<$5) thats good for Multi? I have been thinking of getting some for the event and I'm not too familiar with all the new budget cubes.
A similar question was asked on Facebook recently. There were lots of votes for the Thunderclap v1 (my choice, especially when magnetised) but the most popular cube appeared to be the MF3RS.