• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Multi Blindfolded at Paris World Championship

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What sounds more impressive a 38/40 Multi or a 37/50 accurately should be rewarded. Someone could attmept 100 cubes and memo only 25 DNFing the rest, if most cubes attempted was who won regradless of the amount solved is silly. Maskow sai he is out of practise and it seems some of his fanboys are more upset than him.

I have heard people complaining about MultiBLD socring but what is an alternative. It woud have to be complicated. The simipliest is most cube solved regradless of number of attempted. Issues with that accurately is not rewarded as much. 15/15 is better than 16/23 by this system but that person missed 7 cubes while the person they beat missed none.

qaz

WCA
2013BROW04
Maybe it should be a requirement that every cube be solved at the end of the attempt, otherwise it's a DNF. That would solve all the problems for sure.

I_<3_SCS

But I don't think they were hanging back with the racing strategy of 'expecting everyone ahead of them to crash'. I'm pretty sure not a single professional or even amateur athlete in the world competes with that strategy in mind. Yes the speedskater earned the win, but he certainly did not deserve it.

Of course he deserved it.

arquillian

WCA
2014KOUL01
Jeez. Okay. Some perspective.
First of, the person who solved more cubes blindfolded deserves it more is wrong for the simple reason that MBLD rewards accuracy as well. Shivam made a strategic decision to try to improve his accuracy by attempting 40 (he did 42 in his first attempt) and it paid off. Choosing the number of cubes you're going to do isn't as simple as it looks, because most top MBLDers have a max limit of cubes they can sub hour which they usually stay under. How far under that limit they choose to stay is the decision they have to make. I can sub hour 30 cubes, best case. But I'll lose out on some reviews and am likely to compromise my accuracy. So should I do 30? 27? 25? 23? You have to draw the line between getting high accuracy and a large number of points (14/17 beats 10/10, but 13/17 doesn't). What's the point of attempting 50 cubes if you can't solve more than 35 successfully?
My current official best is 17/17. My memo was done in 20 minutes, I spent the next 25 minutes revising specifically so I could get a 17/17. I could've done 25, but then I wouldn't have had as much revision time. That's a strategic choice you have to make.
Also, it's not like you aren't rewarded for doing more cubes. Had Shivam been 15 seconds slower, Maskow would've gotten away with getting double the DNFs that Shivam did.