[Review] MoYu HuaLong

Discussion in 'Puzzle Reviews' started by BlazingDragon, Mar 28, 2015.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Excellent

59.7%
  2. Good

30.3%
  3. Average

8.4%
  4. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bad

1.7%
  1. fiftyniner

fiftyniner Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I got 2 sets of maru cx3 springs from cubicleus: one for yuxin, and the other is intended either for hualong or aolong.
    I tried it in hualong - lost the corner cutting ability unless I set it loose. But I didn't really like this kind of looseness (not like gans 357 or yuxin loose) - its as if there is no spring in the hualong

2. MoyuFTW

MoyuFTW Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Australia
    WCA:
    2015LEEA05
    That's weird. I have my CX3 springs in my Hualong and I quite like the feel. It feels quite light to me and still corner cuts line to line on the other side, and three quarters reverse.

3. likiti

likiti Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I think this cube is good, We have Moyu Hualong cube

4. Essential Cuber

Essential Cuber Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Exellent!

I bought this cube at amazon, it felt great, apart from corner twists(1-2 in 100 solves) this was the best cube i tried out! the problem came when i cleaned the cube out and there was no lube to put in, so all the corner cutting was gone and popping became frequent in this cube, the cube got very sandy, so i bought some lube, lubed it and now it is Perfect!
    recomendation: YES! for intermediate to advanced only (i would highly suggest buying some lube for this cube if you are buying it)

5. mafergut

mafergut Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Spain
    YouTube:
    mafergtube
    Then you should try the budget cube YJ Guanlong. I got a DIY kit so, no stickers, no lube... I mounted the cube and it was horrible, 0 corner cutting or whatever. As soon as I lubed it it works just great... for a budget cube, still not comparable to a Hualong or other premium cube.

Matthew Zhang likes this.
  6. Speedsolver2002

Speedsolver2002 Member

Jan 8, 2016
    I have it...The cube is awesome. Right outta the box, the cube was sooooo scratchy and dry... Personally, I don't like that sandy feeling! But after lubing, tensioning and breaking into: the result was amazing. I mean the cube cuts 60 degrees and reverse cuts almost a whole cubicle!!!! It's awesome and in my about 1000 solves, it has never popped or corner twisted, I'm by the way an 25 second solver...

Matthew Zhang likes this.
  7. ScrambledCuber

ScrambledCuber Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Moyu Hualong Review

The moyu hualong is a great speedcube. This is highly recommended for cubers that are 35 seconds or below. This cube has corner twists every 50 solves or so. Pops are very rare, but when you lube and tension it, the stakes go up. Even after tensioning and lubing, though, it pops every 150 solves. You can set it up however you want, and you can make the turning speed just right. If you are sub-30, I would recommend using the cubicle.us weight 3 silicone. This cube is smooth when you turn it fast, but when you turn is slowly, you can feel small bumps, which have never been a problem for me. It hardly ever locks up, and when it does, it is barely noticeable. Corner cutting is around 45 degrees, and reverse is about one piece. The shades are perfect for me, and I know for many other people, too. I would reccomend this cube to anyone who is 15 seconds or above. This cube has great plastic, so it is not wobbly or fragile. It really is worth the price of $16 on the cubicle.us. That is my favorite cubing store with great prices, and free shipping for orders over ten dollars. The normal shipping is 2-5 days. You can speed it up by paying a few extra dollars, but even after that, the prices are great. You can also get 5% off of all purchases with certain discount codes. So, I do highly recommend this cube.

-ScrambledCuber

8. ScrambledCuber

ScrambledCuber Member

Mar 29, 2016

9. NewCuber000

NewCuber000 Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Atlantic Canada
    WCA:
    2014BOUD01
    Is there anyone else here who had this cube and found it got bad and sluggisg after a few months of breaking it in? Or am I just really really bad at maintaining cubes? It's probably the second one because a couple years ago the same thing haplened to my zhanchi but im just wondering.

10. Felipe Rigon

Felipe Rigon Member

Nov 23, 2015
    PR, Brazil
    WCA:
    2015RIGO01
    Did you disassemble and clean your cube?

11. NewCuber000

NewCuber000 Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Atlantic Canada
    WCA:
    2014BOUD01
    yes i did pretty often (traxxus 50k). Idk, maybe its just a tensioning issue or something.

12. fiftyniner

fiftyniner Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I recently lubed it with 10K, and it gets a bit sluggish.
    Worked it thro, and its now better. So, its probably your 50k lube...may help if you loosen it or clean out the lube
    [fast without lube, but the turning then feels like rough]

13. CubeDatCube

CubeDatCube Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Behind you
    WCA:
    2016MARS01
    Today, when lots have great cubes have come out, is it still a good idea to get this cube?

Or should I just stick with my Gans 356

14. jaredye

jaredye Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Ithaca, NY
    Guoguan Yuexiao feels like an upgraded version of Hualong. Yuexiao has similar feel as Hualong, cuts a bit better, and has no corner-twisting and popping problem that Hualong might have at loose tension.

If you plan to get Yuexiao and you have no problem with the green side being too light, I'd recommend the stickerless version as it's lighter, and I feel the plastic is softer so the cube feels more smooth.

15. Dnomsed Gnik

Dnomsed Gnik Member

Dec 9, 2016
    This is the review thread for the moyu hualong. Please review only if you have got the cube or tried it out. This is the most recent moyu cube. Any thoughts about it?
    Where did you buy the puzzle? Local toy shop
    When did you buy the puzzle? Yesterday
    Turning speed? (Is it just right? Too fast and uncontrollable?) Out of the box it was too fast and uncontrollable but after doing a few hundred solves it feels just right without extra lubrication and tensioning.
    What do you think about the feel of the cube? (smooth/dry/crisp/airy/etc.) Crispy and smooth
    Overall corner cutting? 35 degrees, reverse 20 degrees
    Locks or pops? Rarely locks up, never popped
    Does it corner twist? Never
    Does it feel cheap? (as in the feeling where the puzzle seems to want to fall apart) No
    Stickers and shades? Standard Moyu shades, but the orange is slightly brighter than my Weilong GTS
    Whom would you recommend it to? Speedcubers who have fast and/or aggresive turning style and OH cubers.
    Is it worth the price? Definitely.
    Additional comments: I bought a Weilong GTS last year and at first it felt OP compared to my Rubik's Cube V2 but then I later found out it did worse than my friend's Hualong in corner cutting (like maybe even only half). The Weilong GTS was too slow for me (default tensions), when I did F2Ls real fast, the edges pop, if I turn too hard, it corner twists. Also, when I did OH solves on it, I had a hard time doing R' (I'm OH left-handed). I had to push down my pinky real hard to make the R face move and when it did, it overshot and would lock up because of its bad corner cutting.

I came across a toy shop yesterday and bought it for $19. It was too fast for me right out of the box and I kept overshooting. I was about to change the tensions when I thought that I should break it in first before changing the tensions.

After doing a few hundred solves on the cube, I could control the cube and it felt perfect for my extremely fast and aggressive turning style. It corner cut VERY WELL, it NEVER corner twists or POPS at all. It also rarely ever locks up (Once in 50 solves). I put the Hualong and the Weilong GTS side-by-side and to my surprise, the Hualong was actually slightly smaller than the Weilong GTS although their dimensions should be 57mm x 57mm x 57mm and 56.5mm x 56.5mm x 56.5mm respectively.

To me, this cube is perfect for OH solving. It is slightly smaller than most cubes which makes it easier for my pinky to reach the R face and I can do the trigger R U R' U' with ease using this cube.

Also, I noticed that this cube's stickers are slightly thicker than the Weilong GTS (I can see the sticker colors from the side), a brighter shade and also of higher quality.

In conclusion, I believe that this cube is very worth its price because it corner cuts very well, never corner twists and pops and rarely locks up. I would recommend it to cubers with fast and/or agressive turning style and OH cubers.

16. jaredye

jaredye Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Ithaca, NY
    lol indeed. Hualong was my first nice speedcube after Dayan and I liked it a lot. But now I definitely wouldn't use it. As for OH, my favorite is Gans Air as it's lighter and quite stable.

17. Dnomsed Gnik

Dnomsed Gnik Member

Dec 9, 2016
    I agree. It's lighter so your hand would take less weight and it's also more controllable. However, even though it is extremely worth the price, it's quite expensive.

18. dskids

dskids Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Virginia
    WCA:
    2017SKID01
    Not sure where you got this info from. The Hualong came out in 2015. The Tanglong, Aolong GT, and Weilong GTS have all been released since then, let alone the 2x2's, 5x5's and other WCA puzzles they have put out in the past 2 years...

19. Dnomsed Gnik

Dnomsed Gnik Member

Dec 9, 2016
    "This is the review thread for the moyu hualong. Please review only if you have got the cube or tried it out. This is the most recent moyu cube. Any thoughts about it?" I'm not an idiot. I know it's not the newest cube. Does it seem like I started this thread? Have you even looked at the first post? I bought my Weilong GTS because it was the newest and I wasn't satisfied with it. So I bought this cube. That's it! All because of my join date don't think I'm the noob who gets whatever cube he sees in a toy shop and claims it's the newest. Don't criticise and try to find fault in others before looking properly.