• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Moyu 13x13 question

Will Faust

I recently bought a moyu 13x13 and I'm wondering if I should lube it with Mary lube. It is very nice and smooth how it is, but I want someone to tell me if it will wear down the pieces to not put lube in. Why I'm not just putting it in is because if I changed my mind after it would be incredibly difficult to clean it. Please help.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, it should really wear down all that much as you aren't really going to use it all that much are you? That said, many cubes tend to get better if you "break in" the cube before you lube it. However, I doubt that you really need to lube it but if you use lighter lube, it shouldn't make all that much difference.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Maru lube makes cubes fast and not all that much else. Since I don't imagine you'll be speedsolving your 13x13, it doesn't make much sense to put Maru in it, especially given that Maru wears out very quickly.
For puzzles I don't speedsolve on, I usually just use a heavy silicone lubricant on the core, a medium silicone lubricant on the pieces, and maybe a couple drops of Silk (or maybe several drops for the 13x13).

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maru seems like it'd be pretty useless on a cube of that size and depth. I'm pretty sure you'd have to dump an entire bottle of Maru lube for any significant amount to make it in-between all of the pieces on all of the layers. Also, even on small puzzles, Maru wears out extremely quickly. I'd guess the lube would lose effect before you were even done with a single 13x13 solve. Hell... it might even wear off before you were done scrambling. So I wouldn't bother. Save your Maru for the smaller cubes.

I don't know what else you'd want to lube that thing with... or even if you need to bother. I'll leave it to someone that actually owns it to give an account of what lubes work best on a cube of this size. I usually toss in some 25ct shock oil in my big (8x8+) cubes.