Most silent cube (for practicing in public)

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by Erik, Apr 21, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Erik

Erik Member

Hi all,
    as some of you might know, I'm not very active in competitive speedcubing anymore. Partly because of lack of time to practice and because I'm old :D
    While I started practicing for the WC I noticed (again) that practicing in public can sometimes be considered annoying by people who are busy with something else. Especially my Valk3 is nice and loud.
    With all the new cubes on the martket, I simply lost the overview of what is out there.

What do you think is the most silent cube? It should still be a top-notch speedcube of course!

2. obelisk477

obelisk477 Member

You could try doing a cotton mod on your Valk. I did it on my Guangying and it helped alot. It's just what it sounds like -- tearing some cotton slightly larger than the interior of the edge/corner piece, and stuffing it in there.

Daniel Lin likes this.
  3. FJT97

FJT97 Member

Apr 3, 2013
    WCA:
    2012THIE01
    my gans 357 is very quiet. But the shengshou aurora is even more quiet. gans 357 is a better speedcube tho

4. mark49152

mark49152 Premium Member

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    WCA:
    2015RIVE05
    YouTube:
    mark49152
    Gan Air is comparatively quiet, but the unfortunate reality is that 8-10 TPS is going to annoy other people whatever cube you do it on :).

SolveThatCube likes this.
  5. willi pilz

willi pilz Member

Aug 20, 2015
    The quietest cube of all time.
    A GANS AIR
    COTTON MOD
    OVER LUBED. :D

Dash Lambda and allanboss131 like this.
  6. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    I think putting heavy lube in the cube, especially in the pieces will make it gummier and quieter. Although could sacrifice speed

7. Erik

Erik Member

That is actually quite clever! :D

8. Abare Killer

Abare Killer Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Actually, magnetizing your cube makes it more quiet seriously. I used to have a Valk and I made it magnetic and stuffed foam in the edge piece turning out really quiet. :)

CornerCutter likes this.
  9. MalusDB

MalusDB Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Belfast
    YouTube:
    MalusDB91
    You can't be old, that makes me old too. :(

10. obelisk477

obelisk477 Member

pretty sure the foam quieted it, not the magnets

11. Michael919

Michael919 Member

Apr 9, 2017
    People have reported their Valk being quieter with magnets without foam added. It seems like the magnets deaden some of the clackiness of the pieces.

Quiet cubes are critical to me because I don't want to drive my wife too crazy. I only buy cubes with a smooth, quiet reputation. Here's the main part of my collection in order of quietest to loudest.

Air - quietest by far
    356 v2
    Tanglong
    GTS 2
    Valk 3 - too clacky to be considered quiet. It's considerably louder than the others, but still quiet compared to many others.

I have an Aurora that's really quiet, but it isn't in the same class as the others for turning, etc.

12. I find my 1x1 to be my quitest cube

Luke8, willi pilz and WombatWarrior17 like this.
  13. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    The Gans Air is ultimately the quietest cube you can get. It's also extremely configurable, so you can tighten down the stalks to eliminate rattle, use heavier springs to reduce snapping, and stuff the screwed-together cubies with cotton or foam, as well as anything else I may be missing.
    It's worth noting that the Air UM is actually rather loud in comparison, the magnets add quite a bit of snappiness. I haven't tried the Air U, but the hollow pieces should actually make it louder and you can't fill them because they're glued together.

14. Dom

Dom Member

The KungFu LongYuan is pretty quiet. And it's INSANE fast! Only $4USD and it comes with a free cube stand.

FastCubeMaster likes this.
  15. gavinz

gavinz Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Your best options are to add foam into the pieces, get quieter springs, fix your turning style, add magnets to prevent corner cutting which is loud, and lube it.

16. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    *tells Erik Akkersdijk to fix his turning style*
    lmao

I think stickerless cubes are way quieter and I'm surprised that hasn't been brought up.

17. gavinz

gavinz Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Lol idk Erik so sorry. He could get a boron treated gans356 air um instead of stickerless cubes

18. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    haha Erik's a speedcubing legend, he broke the 3x3 single WR by almost two seconds in 2008 :p
    e: see his signature

19. gavinz

gavinz Member

Apr 3, 2017
    I don't pay attention to previous WR holders lol

20. Michael919

Michael919 Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I magnetized my Valk today and it made a huge difference in sound. I'd say it cut the clackiness down by half and it's now a much quieter cube.

When I get my hands on suitable foam, I'm going to add that too. It just might get as quiet as my Air.