Memory Methods

Discussion in 'Blindsolving Discussion' started by dbeyer, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. newtonbase

newtonbase Premium Member

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    A word list will certainly help. Anki is a good method for practicing them. DeeDubb started a thread on audio pairs with some useful tips on switching out tricky letters etc.
    Do you practice tracing? The easier you find that then the more you can concentrate on memo.

theawesomecuber likes this.
  2. Mike Hughey

Mike Hughey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    I had the same problem with memoing edges with audio. I finally just got past it by memorizing single syllable images for all combinations. It really helped me lots.

3. sqAree

sqAree Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Berlin
    WCA:
    2015JAEH01
    YouTube:
    sqAree
    Memo the first 8 edge targets with audio, and if there are more, just visualize where the sticker is (probably even faster than full audio if you don't forget the visual part of your memo).

4. theawesomecuber

theawesomecuber Member

May 27, 2015
    WCA:
    2012BRAS01
    Oh believe me, I know :). I've used anki to associate 2200 kanji to keywords and to learn the meaning of nearly 2000 Japanese vocab words, and I plan to use anki to associate letter pairs to images and images to commutators. I just am hesitant to add 400 cards that I might not really need. However, right now the consensus seems to be that a word list would help, so I will heavily consider it.
    What do you mean? Do you just mean going through all the pieces in my edge cycles? Should I be thinking of the letters, but just not memorizing them?
    Hmm, interesting, I'll try this out. I've never really tried visual memory before so I'll be bad, but in the long term this might be really good.

Thanks everyone!

5. Alex B71

Alex B71 Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I also have had this problem in the past, Here's what i do now.

I use a P.A.O system for corners (Can chuck locations in also if it is relevant and strengthens the image) and for edges i always do the first 8 with audio and the last ones (If any) with two fast words that don't need to make much sense, like DGOJ would be DoG OJ (Orange Juice or OJ Simpson). I also memo corner twists as a specific person for each corner and they are displayed a certain way depending on rotation direction, Edge flips are purely visual (I leave my fingers on the flips during the memo and just before dropping the blindfold i "Snapshot" where my fingers were).

Before i started doing this, about 2 months ago, i would use sentence memo for corners and full audio for edges with flips and twists being visual. My memo splits (according to the times i was getting just before switching) were 10-20 seconds for corners and 20-35 seconds for edges with somewhat poor accuracy, unless i was aiming for accuracy but then i would be going into the higher memo time.

Looking at today's session data i am getting 7 seconds for corners and 9-13 seconds for edges with some going over these and some going as low as sub-15 memo. But that seems to be the general area. Accuracy also increased quite dramatically a couple of days after switching but that was also the same day i decided to switch parity methods.

The best thing i like about this is that when i'm doing the first 8 edges i can rehearse the corner memo quite easily at the same time and then when i am doing the last of the edges i can do a quick recall of the first 8 and then finally snapshot any flipped edges.

I don't know if this ramble helped at all but this is the way i have found that works best for me. P.A.O images for corners mean i can go as fast as i like and not worry about strengthening, but it did take about 2 months to make a full list and their's still some pairs that are not fluent.

Good luck, man!

6. theawesomecuber

theawesomecuber Member

May 27, 2015
    WCA:
    2012BRAS01
    I really like your strategy for edges. I think memorizing the first eight letters with audio and the rest with words (that critically, aren't necessarily one syllable, so that I wouldn't have to make a new list), would work very well for me. Or maybe I could do the first 4 targets with words and the rest with audio, I'll have to try them both out.

This does mean that I need to add more letters to my letter pair list, in order to accommodate the different buffer, which might be problematic. For example, for "X" I am often using "A" when I can't find an image that uses "X", which is fine since my buffer has "A". However, if I implement this, I would have to make sure not to confuse "A" with "X" pretending to be "A", if that makes sense. I mean this is something I'd have to do anyway if I wanted to get into bigger cubes BLD, which I think I will. (quick sidenote: I plan on using a UB buffer for when I switch to 3-style, which has my "A" letter, so this is a short term problem)

Thanks for ramble and for the luck!

Alex B71 likes this.
  7. Blindsighted

Blindsighted Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Virginia
    WCA:
    2015FARI06
    Not that I would know but....
    UF I think is faster at least that's what fast people say

8. theawesomecuber

theawesomecuber Member

May 27, 2015
    WCA:
    2012BRAS01
    This is completely off topic at this point, but my justification is that the commutators with UB are actually just as good as with UF, and my buffer for corner and my buffer for edge would be right next to each other, allowing for easier setups to 22LL cases if I ever decided to get super super serious about BLD.

Also, I really like the consistency of having my first letter in my lettering scheme be my buffer, no matter the type of piece.

Blindsighted likes this.
  9. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    I just found this now and am gonna share something that I did, I bet some people might use something like it, but whatever. When I first started BLD, to memo my first edge cycle I would replace the letters with the "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink." In Sia's song, chandelier. Hope it helped someone.

10. Alex B71

Alex B71 Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Could you elaborate further on that? I have no idea what you mean.

11. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    Well I hope that you know the song "Chandelier." If not, then check it out here, <iframe width="500" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2vjPBrBU-TM?vq=hd720&amp;iv_load_policy=3&amp;rel=0&amp;showinfo=0&amp;theme=light&amp;color=white&amp;autohide=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> . When it says, "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, I just sing my first edge cycle to the tune of the song when it says "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, so I might sing, " X, Q, I, H, U, P, T." and have it in my head.

12. Alex B71

Alex B71 Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Ahhh, i get it now. Making it a rhythmical thing. Yeah that's a useful thing to do aswell.

13. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    I'm not sure if this is good, but I visually memo the first 2 edges then audio the rest.

Does full audio on edges improve much with practice?
    If so, I might put more time into it

14. newtonbase

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    Yes. It is just working your way around the cube without memoing anything. It helps you identify pieces more quickly.

15. newtonbase

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    Yes. You get quicker at choosing words and you learn more about your weak points such as sounds you may confuse.

16. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    What about just sounding out letters? Do people find it easier choosing words?

sqAree likes this.
  17. newtonbase

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    I assume that you are still talking about pairs. Issues you can have are words sounding similar. For me KT is KaT. It would be easy to recall that as CaT if I didn't have a system that I know (CT is ChaT).
    If you mean sounding out the individual letters then you are doubling the amount you have to recall and it's harder to keep track of parity. Not recommended.

18. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    No, I meant sounding out the individual letters, and I'm curious: why does it double the amount I have to recall? If you just say like "plskatinb" it can sometimes be very fast

19. CyanSandwich

CyanSandwich Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Wellington, New Zealand
    WCA:
    2013NELS01
    YouTube:
    c/TomNelson1
    Sounding out individual letters is twice the amount of syllables to recall. It's definitely slower and makes things harder.

plskatinb = Pee Ell Ess Kay Ay Tee Eye En Bee
    plskatinb = Pill Seek At In B

The 2nd one is much faster to encode and recall. But you also shouldn't stick completely to real words. Like you can just pronounce OB and VU how they're spelled.

20. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    Whoops, 'individual' may have been the wrong word for me to use.
    I was meaning sounding out each letter like in a word.
    plskatinb is spelled literally the same as how it's pronounced in what I'm talking about. maybe: "Pl-uh-sk-at-inb" (not seperated for syllables).

Really, I thought this was how everyone did it and that's what everyone meant when they said audio edges (although I knew audio edges can be done in many different ways).

I average 1:30-1:40 but I'll try out the words and sounds combination