• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] MeiYing vs YueXiao for Backup/Travel

MeiYing or YueXiao?

• MeiYing

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • YueXiao

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

JaredRB9000

I use a Cubicle Valk M, and I love it, but I hate bringing it around in fear of dropping it/other stuff. So I'm either getting a Stickerless (bright) MeiYing or YueXiao, but I can't decide which. They're even the same price! I want something similar to The Valk, but not another one because I already have 2. I'd probably be ordering it soon, so your 2 cents would be appreciated whenever you come across this.
EDIT:I like the MeiYing's logo better. YueXiao is just boring cursive.
EDIT 2: Leaning towards the YueXiao because it's newer/better cutting. I'll probably be ordering tomorrow, so I need some feedback.

Last edited:

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
Yuexiao. IMO it's a more similar cube to the Valk, and much more responsive to setup. Meiying is a great puzzle but it only has one setting: fast and floppy.

JaredRB9000

Yuexiao. IMO it's a more similar cube to the Valk, and much more responsive to setup. Meiying is a great puzzle but it only has one setting: fast and floppy.

I tend to like cubes that are stupid fast and kinda flexy, but flexy to the point of floppy isn't exactly my favorite. Can the MeiYing be made less flexy with some heavy lube? I have Gans Sticky, Silk, Maru (obviously not this lol), and M. I want to like the MeiYing because of the logo, but I can go either way.

Meiying is more similar to TheValk3, i used it as main for a good time, but the Yuexiao is more Estable and dry

Can the YueXiao be setup to feel less dry? I don't really like the dry kinda feel. Does the YueXiao feel stable to the point of tight? Because that would probably make me pick the MeiYing for that alone. Also, I've heard that the YueXiao is like an improved MeiYing. Is it?

WCA
2015SILV55
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can the YueXiao be setup to feel less dry? I don't really like the dry kinda feel. Does the YueXiao feel stable to the point of tight? Because that would probably make me pick the MeiYing for that alone. Also, I've heard that the YueXiao is like an improved MeiYing. Is it?

Yes, you only should lube with weight 3 or silicone spray
You can let him loose if you like fast feeling
Yes, Yuexiao is a improved Meiying
I recommend you go for a Competition and test these two cubes and see what is best for you.

JaredRB9000

Yes, you only should lube with weight 3 or silicone spray
You can let him loose if you like fast feeling
Yes, Yuexiao is a improved Meiying
I recommend you go for a Competition and test these two cubes and see what is best for you.
I'm not going to a comp for another 3 months, and I tend to do a lot of activities and going out and junk, so I need a cube I can just bring around. I've tried a lot of cubes, but I've somehow never tried either of these 2. They're both the same price, so if the YueXiao is an improved MeiYing, may as well go for the YueXiao, right?

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
They're both the same price, so if the YueXiao is an improved MeiYing, may as well go for the YueXiao, right?
If you do a side by side visual comparison of the mechanisms they look similar (with some minor differences), which I guess is why people say that. The turning, feel, and sound of the cubes are much different, to the point where calling the Yuexiao an "improved Meiying" is silly IMO. They are really nothing alike.

The Meiying is a great puzzle but I think the Yuexiao is better in nearly every way.

JaredRB9000

If you do a side by side visual comparison of the mechanisms they look similar (with some minor differences), which I guess is why people say that. The turning, feel, and sound of the cubes are much different, to the point where calling the Yuexiao an "improved Meiying" is silly IMO. They are really nothing alike.

The Meiying is a great puzzle but I think the Yuexiao is better in nearly every way.
I saw this, and it definitely helped, particularly in the area about how they're totally different. While the YueXiao may be better in many aspects, it still has good cutting and stuff, so it really came down to the feeling for me. In the end, I picked the MeiYing, because I like that fast, flexy, crunchy feel (not unlike the GTS), and the dry feel is one that I don't like. I have no doubt in my mind that it's an amazing cube, but the feel man.

Thanks for all your feedback! This was definitely helpful, and I look forward to posting in the near future!

asacuber

WCA
2015SANT44
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tend to like cubes that are stupid fast and kinda flexy, but flexy to the point of floppy isn't exactly my favorite. Can the MeiYing be made less flexy with some heavy lube? I have Gans Sticky, Silk, Maru (obviously not this lol), and M. I want to like the MeiYing because of the logo, but I can go either way.

My meiying never used to flex, even though it was crazy fast