• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Max Park wins 3x3s!

Pyjam

Premium Member
Regularity of performance being the key, and with 4 series being done, why not use the mean of the 4 avg-5 instead of only the last series?

efattah

I really don't see a problem with luck being involved. Luck plays a major role in most sports (if it didn't, every game would have a guaranteed outcome), and although luck does play a significant role with records in cubing, it plays a minimal role in deciding winners of a competition. Winners are decided from the same scrambles, so whether the scrambles are easy or hard doesn't play a role in deciding competition winners. To be able to take advantage of easy starts is purely skill (in my opinion) and getting skips later in your solve depends on your solution, and not the scramble - and that's also a skill (in my opinion).

And for the small degree of luck that remains? That's what makes competitions worth following because the outcome is not already predetermined.

Having been a competitive freediver, I will say in freediving there is essentially zero luck, the outcome is determined by the person who had the better training and who handles their nerves the best -- these are all skills that can be learned.

By stating that the same scramble eliminates luck assumes that each competitor takes the exact same solution to the solve. That means you are assuming everyone is color neutral and solving the same cross, and you are also assuming that everyone is using the same method. A Roux solver could find a scramble extremely easy, that would be bad for a CFOP solver.

The fact that there is a tremendous amount of luck involved is shown by the drastically different results in the different rounds. If there were no luck involved, the rankings from each round would be exactly the same. They are radically different.

You are also implying that getting a skip at the end of the solve is a matter of skill. This implies the solver is able (in 15 seconds) to see all four F2L pairs AND the OLL AND whether or not that would cause a skip, and then modify their entire solution to 'try' to get a skip while still in the inspection phase...? I would say the only 'skip' that is skill based is using VLS which isn't really a skip anyway, just a different way of doing OLL.

Anyway, I stand by my desire to see a different format. When the results from each round are the same (if there even are 'rounds'), then luck has been diminished and the competitor's training is what decides the outcome.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe the pressure has finally gotten to Feliks, could this be the fall of a legend?

He holds
3x3 single
3x3 average
4x4 single
5x5 single
5x5 average
6x6 single
6x6 average
7x7 single
7x7 average

and OH single:)

He just lost his first comp, not much a big deal considering how big the competition was.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
He holds
3x3 single
3x3 average
4x4 single
5x5 single
5x5 average
6x6 single
6x6 average
7x7 single
7x7 average

He just lost his first comp, not much a big deal considering how big the competition was.
Very much this. Also worth pointing out of those records, all except for 3x3 single and OH single he broke in the last month. He regained the 3x3 average just over two weeks ago and broke 6 world records this weekend!

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe the pressure has finally gotten to Feliks, could this be the fall of a legend?
Very very doubtful. Don't forget, Feliks has just done three competitions within a short time of eachother, all of which in different countries. The likelihood is, he's just exhausted. I mean crap, I would be too. Also don't forget that he has broken WRs in all three of these comps, including the world's first ever sub-6 3x3 average in competition.

Saying that he's falling from grace would be a very premature jumping of the gun. He's got a way to go yet.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
He holds
3x3 single
3x3 average
4x4 single
5x5 single
5x5 average
6x6 single
6x6 average
7x7 single
7x7 average

He lost WC2011 and that was a upset of sorts since back then he was over a second quicker than everyone else. People have caught him up.

What is wrong with the current format? It has been in use since 2003 those back then early rounds had best of 3. What even is an viable alternative.

Last edited:

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
He lost WC2011 and that was a upset of sorts since back then he was over a second quicker than everyone else. People have caught him up.

What is wrong with the current format? It has been in use since 2003 those back then early rounds had best of 3. What even is an viable alternative.
This is just one comp, people haven't cought him. He is half a second faster then the rest, that is incredible. I would say Felix is at his peak, how he managed this months world records. First with 3x3 and 4x4. And then in Paris all the rest. Come on, it is insane and In speedcubing one comp lost doesn't mean much.
About the format, if there is so many changed positions between rounds, then it is a sign to change. If you want to find the best cuber in the world just by one competition, then maybe there should be the change in format.

ozie

He messed up ONE solve (a 6.80 on the first solve would've been enough to win the final) and you're talking about his fall?
He's not a robot and **** happens ;)

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Felik's isn't out of the 3x3 game just yet, although he's not as dominant as he used to be. However, he is more dominant in 6x6 and 7x7 now the when I started cubing, when I started cubing he was one of a half dozen cubers likely to break the 7x7 WR's. Now he has pulled ahead of everyone else by a decent margin.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is just one comp, people haven't cought him. He is half a second faster then the rest, that is incredible. I would say Felix is at his peak, how he managed this months world records. First with 3x3 and 4x4. And then in Paris all the rest. Come on, it is insane and In speedcubing one comp lost doesn't mean much.
About the format, if there is so many changed positions between rounds, then it is a sign to change. If you want to find the best cuber in the world just by one competition, then maybe there should be the change in format.

At my last comp Feliks said he peaked in 2011 this was Techweek NZ. He results were crazy back then. I amint that his Latin Amercia Cubing Tour and worlds is basically like his 2010-2011 results. All I am saying is speedcubing has grown and that means it gets more competitive. His WR average is far ahead of the rest.

He is no longer a dominant as in 2011 where he was the clear favorite. The vast majority predicted he would win without question. In 2013 since he lost people weren't as certain, in 2015 the certainty he would win was about the same as 2013 with the hindsight of the last two world champianships. This time there was Max Park who got a WR average and a whole lot of people getting sub 7. Things have changed. Feliks has done well to be top so long. I remember in old cubecast wondering who would replace him thinking it would be in a few year but here we are over 5 years after that was said and he still is WR holder.

efattah

Considering how well Feliks did in the other events, and considering what he said in his recent interview, it is pretty clear what happened. He said in his interview he practices the events in which he has the biggest chance to break a world record. That is NOT 3x3 right now as his 5.97 AVG and 4.73 are very hard to beat. So in my mind he probably was practicing mostly big cubes (...can you say 38.52 5x5?), and at his level if he stops practicing 3x3 his times will drop more than enough to lose to Max Park or other high level cubers... The fact that he was doing so well at 5x5 & 7x7 while at the same time not winning any 3x3 rounds speaks to focused practice.

Jlvs2run

Regularity of performance being the key, and with 4 series being done, why not use the mean of the 4 avg-5 instead of only the last series?
The qualifying results would be different, but here are the basic results.
Park . . . . 7.1025 . . . 1
Nahm . . . 7.2950 . . . 3
Etter . . . . 7.2950 . . . 3
Zemdegs . . 7.2475 . . . 2
Wang . . . . . 7.3775 . . . 5
Carlier . . . . 8.1300 . . . 10
Ponce . . . . . 7.500 . . . . 6
Valk . . . . . . 7.6625 . . . 7
Wu . . . . . . . 8.1600 . . . 11
Gerhardt . . . 8.0125 . . . 9
Brads . . . . . . 7.8250 . . . 8
Rzewuski . . . 8.4875 . . . 12