• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

phreaker

Quick note: A 4x2mm N52 and a steel plate have roughly the same pull force as two 4x1mm N42s (read, not much).

Sometimes... it is neat to do the experiment and feel the difference.

Honestly, I've grown to really like the current set of magnets in my Valk. Initially they felt a bit odd... but now, they feel perfect. (Which means it was more than likely me being odd, not the cube.) Also it fixed my biggest issue with my Valks... I corner twist them somehow?! But I don't corner twist the magnetic one :)

Abare Killer

I'm thinking of making a Thunderclap v1 as well and I'm thinking grade n35 is strong enough, btw it is a stickerless Thunderclap.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I finally ordered a bunch of smaller magnets last night (4 mm x 2 mm n35). Now I have between 1 and 3 1/2 months to decide whether to magnetize 3 3x3s, 1 6x6 or 1 7x7. I'm leaning toward the big cubes if the magnets fit.

allanboss131

I finally ordered a bunch of smaller magnets last night (4 mm x 2 mm n35). Now I have between 1 and 3 1/2 months to decide whether to magnetize 3 3x3s, 1 6x6 or 1 7x7. I'm leaning toward the big cubes if the magnets fit.
4x2 n35 are too big in larger cubes. They add way too much weight. Even the 4x4 that I got from Chris Tran used 4by1s and I think 3x1.5(?) but if you make a 7x7 with 4x2s that thing would be so tiring to use. The magnets would probably be too strong as well.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
4x2 n35 are too big in larger cubes. They add way too much weight. Even the 4x4 that I got from Chris Tran used 4by1s and I think 3x1.5(?) but if you make a 7x7 with 4x2s that thing would be so tiring to use. The magnets would probably be too strong as well.
I'd be more concerned about magnetic strength than weight. A 6x6 and a 7x7 both require 144 magnets, which is about 26-27 grams, or roughly 10-12% of the weight of the puzzle. I'm mostly concerned with fitting the magnets inside the pieces. Especially 6x6,which requires 2 magnets side by side in the inner wings.

Iamdrewbrees

On a magnetic 4x4, why do you have to have 6 in the corners, in each edge can't you have 2 magnets going towards the middle, and one going out to the corner? There's no need for the rotational symmetry to the corner

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
On a magnetic 4x4, why do you have to have 6 in the corners, in each edge can't you have 2 magnets going towards the middle, and one going out to the corner? There's no need for the rotational symmetry to the corner

I'm pretty sure you do need rotational symmetry, but that can be done with 3 magnets in each corner piece.

allanboss131

Just wanna post my magnetic cubes here
-weilong gts, n48 4x2. Feels great, the gts is not for me though

- gans 356s v2 ultimate magnetic. Did the ultimate mod myself, magnets are n48 4x2 in the corners, and n48 4x1 in the edges. I think for most people they would be a little too weak. For me using roux they are too weak. But still an amazing cube.

-dayan guhong v2. Florianed the centers and edges, kept the corners normal to prevent corner twists. N48s in everything and they may be a tad too strong, but I like rather weak magnets. Maybe n45s or n48s in corners mixed with n35s in edges would be Best for me, but for others n48s would be great. This cube is amazing! I lubed it with vaseline and did 20 solves so that scratchy feeling would go away from the modding. Then I wiped it down completly and lubed it with lighter lubes (silk, weight 1 and maru mixed). Now I think it is my main over cubes like the valk, and the magnetic cubes listed above. But I still haven't decided, they are all so good!