Magnets thread

Discussion in 'Puzzle Building, Modding, & Designing' started by Rcuber123, Nov 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. casi

casi Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Any help on Magnetizing a Yuxin Little Magic? The corners don't want to come apart.

2. ducttapecuber

ducttapecuber Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    NC
    WCA:
    2014SHIE03
    YouTube:
    TheDuctTapeCuber
    I had no problem magnetizing mine. Try wedging a small flathead screwdriver on the seam of the pieces. That's what I usually do to get difficult pieces apart.

Duncan Bannon likes this.
  3. Duncan Bannon

Duncan Bannon Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Here
    I do the same and also use my fingernails. I only use the screwdriver for hard pieces. (don't want to chip plastic)

4. HarryW

HarryW Member

Feb 1, 2018
    There are plastic prying tools to repair smartphones which also work fine on cubes.

5. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I magnetized a Yulong a while back with 4x2 n35. The magnets were slightly smaller than advertised, I believe, but I had no problem. It ended up with a very subtle magnetic feel. A very nice cube, really. Still prone to corner twists if you don't use a pretty light touch.

I've used a utility knife for splitting difficult pieces on several different cubes. Just very gently work the tip of the blade into the crack until it starts pulling apart. YLM corners are tough to get apart. It takes a bit of patience, and they have to pull straight back from the stalk.

6. JohnnyReggae

JohnnyReggae Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Cape Town, South Africa
    WCA:
    2015BOSW01
    Just got my new QiYi WuJi 7x7. It's terrible out the box, so I'm going to have to do a a fair amount of work on it. I want to magnetise it. What magnets have you guys used on the WuJi ? Any idea what magnets the likes of TheCubicle and Speedcubeshop use for the WuJi ?

7. JohnnyReggae

JohnnyReggae Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Cape Town, South Africa
    WCA:
    2015BOSW01
    Anyone magentised a SQ-1 ? Figured I should learn SQ-1 and got a new stickerless one and as always I'm magnet mad so would like to magnetise it.

8. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I've magnetized 2 Wujis. 4x1 n52 are fantastic in the corners. I used 4x2 n38 in the edges for both. I thought the black one I did first was great, a few other people thought the magnets were too strong. I think the magnets in the stickerless one I did most recently are too strong. I'd run the calculations, but I think moving down to 4x1.5 n38 would be about right, possibly as weak as 4x1.5 n35. I can't speak to what magnets the cube shops use, except to say that I usually prefer stronger magnets than other people are used to.

JohnnyReggae likes this.
  9. JohnnyReggae

JohnnyReggae Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Cape Town, South Africa
    WCA:
    2015BOSW01
    Currently I have 4x2N35, 3x2N38, 5x1.5N38 and a few 4x1.5N42 ... but not enough to do the whole cube.

Did the 4x2's fit ok ? In my Aofu that I did the biggest I could get in was 3x2's in the edges and 3x1's in the corners which is not enough for my personal preference. I much prefer stronger magnets. I may need to order from Gaussboys ... it's the shipping from the States that makes it expensive and I don't feel like waiting 3 months to get something off of eBay which is a hit-and-miss at best.

10. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    The 4x2s fit fine in the edges. There are some baffles that make it pretty tight, be sure to dry-fit an edge before you actually glue anything. I'm guessing you'd be fairly happy with the n35s in the edges. The 4x1s that I used in the corners were pretty tight too. You might be able to use your 3x2s, but I suspect not. I'm pretty sure the 4x1.5s won't fit. You might compare the thickness of the Wuji plastic to that of the Aofu: I suspect the Wuji is much thinner. Magnets that are too weak in the Aofu may be fine in the Wuji.

JohnnyReggae likes this.
  11. AMCuber1618

AMCuber1618 Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Same here except what about a Valk 3 Power? Strong or lite kit on the Cubicle?

12. Aysha

Aysha Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Bahrain
    WCA:
    2017JAMS01
    You don't actually need to remove them. I just doubled the magnets to get the desired strength.

13. Bemis

Bemis Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Athens, Ga
    I had put some gaussboys N35 4x2s in a Valk 3 of mine and it wasn't bad. I did several hundred solves, but after using the GTS2 with the N42 5x1 and loving it, I decided the Valk 3 needed to be a touch weaker. I order some N52 3x1.5 and some N38 3x1.5s. I grabbed a fresh Valk and put N52 3x1.5 in the edges and N38 3x1.5s in the corners them mixed those with the N35 4x2s.

Breaks down something like this
    Valk with N52 3x1.5 edges with N35 4x2 corners
    Valk with N35 4x2 edges with N38 3x1.5 corners

Both combinations really toned the Valk down. Both are very stable and a joy to solve on, but I give a slight edge to the feel of the N35 4x2 mixed with the N52 3x1.5

I did the exact same thing with a Little Magic. Same combos as above and it's an absolute joy to solve on.

I also tossed some N38 4x2s in a YuLong and it is miles better now. Order a few more M3s to play with, but I really love the N38 4x2s in the one I've already done so I may just toss the same in those.

DMCubing likes this.
  14. PeedroMonte

PeedroMonte Member

Sunday
    Brazil
    I read some pages of this thread and I saw some videos but I can't decide what are the best magnets for these puzzles:
    WuQue - maybe 4x1.5 n38 (or 1/8 x 1/16 inch N48?) inner and outer 5x1 N48?
    WuShuang - maybe full N38 4x1.5?
    Yuxin Cloud - ?

15. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I'm not especially happy with the WuQue I magnetized. I think for 5x5 you want weaker magnets on the outer layers. I used 4x2 n38 on the inner layers, 4x1.5 n38 on the outer layers on the Wushuang I did. I thought the balance was pretty good, maybe the magnets were overall a little strong. @Ghost Cuber has that puzzle now, if you want to ask another opinion on that setup I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

The best 4x4 I've done is a Yuxin Blue with, iirc, 4x2 n38 outside and 4x1.5 n38 inside (I think I posted about it further up this thread, whatever I said there for magnets is correct).

The best 5x5 I've done is a Yuxin (purple? Not cloud.) With 6x1 n48 inside and 5x1 n52 outside. I've done 2 of those. One is my main 5x5, and my favorite odd-layered puzzle (maybe my favorite puzzle), the other is in the mail to @joshsailscga

16. JohnnyReggae

JohnnyReggae Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Cape Town, South Africa
    WCA:
    2015BOSW01
    The Valk Power I ordered over 3 months ago finally arrived and I was excited to magnetise it. Well that turned into a massive fail. I ended up trying 3 times to magnetise it.

The first I wasn't paying attention to where the edge caps go and glued the magnets exactly where they go. Took them all out, cleaned up where I could and redid them lower and out of the way. However after putting it back together the corners seemed to pull in which caused massive catches with the center pieces. Took the magnets out and again cleaned up where I could. 3rd time I followed DMCubing's tutorial which seemed to work quite well and was easier than what I had done before. But again after putting it back together I still had the corners pulling in again catching a lot on the center pieces.

At this point I've had it, and took the magnets out and put it back together without magnets ... and the *^%$**%^$^&$#@$ corners are pulling in, catching on the centers. The cube is basically shot at this point and unusable really. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the corners are pulling in. I'm not sure if all the glueing and removing of magnets has somehow warped pieces ?

This is the first big fail in magnetising except for the very first cube I did with the wrong magnets without following any polarity. I'm annoyed with the cube and myself because I've done quite a few cubes already and never had this kind of issue :(

Any ideas on what may be causing the corners to pull in ? I am close to just throwing it in the bin and ordering another one, but it did cost me almost $20 which is a fair amount in ZAR.

17. Destiny

Destiny Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Over the rainbow
    I have a DIY GTS2M
    One of the magnets is loose. Is there any optimal way to put it back in?

18. Duncan Bannon

Duncan Bannon Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Here
    Can you just regular it?