Magnets thread

Discussion in 'Puzzle Building, Modding, & Designing' started by Rcuber123, Nov 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. mitja

mitja Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    WCA:
    2016POPO02
    Does anyone know what type of magnets are used in cubicle Wuque M 4x4?

2. mitja

mitja Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    WCA:
    2016POPO02
    Never mind, I found the info:N48 5x1 outer and N38 4x1,5 inner. Is it really better to have loose outer layers and strong magnets inside? I had an understanding that oposite is better. My first yuxin blue and wuque are done with about 30% stronger outer layer. They seem perfect. Maybe cubicle discovered better setting?Whell, I did calculate magnetic pull for 3 mm plastic( two layers of plastic about 1-1,5mm each). If you calculate for 1 mm plastic, numbers get very different, on the end stronger magnets seem weaker and opposite.
    I also received both wuques ( black and stickerless) recently. They are very different cubes from the scratch. Black is much smoother plastic and has very different feel. That's why
    I wonder how different magnets are suitable for each of the cubes.
    Anyone with some thoughts about this?

Rubix Cubix likes this.
  3. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Those are the same magnets I used on the inside of a yuxin blue. I'd like to try the larger diameter magnets on the outer layer. It should make a more fluid 3x3 stage.

If I were to guess I'd say the different plastics will even out with break-in and lube, but will probably never be identical. I'd use the same magnets for both, but I could be completely wrong.

4. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I just finished this Wushuang M today, and it's pretty good. 4x2 n35 for the outer layers, 4x2 n38 inside. My only complaint is that the Wushuang that I got seems a little gummy. I've got some Silk on it. Maybe I'll need to get some DNM-37 or Lubicle 1 to try.

5. JustAnotherGenericCuber

JustAnotherGenericCuber Member

Apr 19, 2017
    United States
    WCA:
    2017OSTD02
    Sounds great! Btw, where do you get your magnets from?

6. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Gaussboys. The difference in price isn't that much, and in my opinion worth it to know what I'm getting.

7. Aysha

Aysha Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Bahrain
    WCA:
    2017JAMS01
    Has anyone tried magnetizing the Thunderclap 4x4's? I have the mini one and I would like to magnetize it.

8. Rubix Cubix

Rubix Cubix Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Bath, UK
    WCA:
    2016GLOZ01
    Which do you think is stronger out of 4x2 N50 magnets and 5x1 N35 magnets? I would think the 4x2 but not 100% sure.

9. JustAnotherGenericCuber

JustAnotherGenericCuber Member

Apr 19, 2017
    United States
    WCA:
    2017OSTD02
    willtri4 and Rubix Cubix like this.
  10. Rubix Cubix

Rubix Cubix Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Bath, UK
    WCA:
    2016GLOZ01
    Thanks for this, will save me a lot of guesswork in trying to decide what strengths and sizes are similar. According to that the 4x2 magnets are more than twice as strong!

11. heyitsconnor

heyitsconnor Member

Jul 9, 2017
    Milky Way Galaxy
    got a few questions

Where would be a good place to buy magnets? gaussboys is too expensive because of shipping (i live in australia)

What magnets would be good for a 50mm Cubing classroom cube?

What strength are the magnets in the x-man pyra?

What is the best glue?

Should i get the mass-produces GTS2M or make one myself?

Cheers

12. newtonbase

newtonbase Premium Member

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    Does anyone know if there have been any changes to the Thunderclap V1? I've magnetised my first one for a while and the pull is too strong. It's either that or my new magnets are stronger than my last lot.

13. Luke Terzich

Luke Terzich Member

Jul 11, 2017
    West Sussex, England
    YouTube:
    kewbzuk
    We have used the above video to modify some customers WeiLong GTS2 cubes. Great video and works well, definitely one of the better ones on YouTube!

Good Luck :)

14. I keep meaning to mention that you can save 10% off your order when you use the discount code, DMCUBING
    You'll just need to set up a free account ahead of time, then enter the code during checkout.

15. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I thought that was for just the month of June, but when I signed in to make my last order in August it automatically took that deduction off.

16. Yep. Dave, the owner, decided to make the discount code permanent. He gets a lot of orders from us cubers.

17. heyitsconnor

heyitsconnor Member

Jul 9, 2017
    Milky Way Galaxy
    @DMCubing

Gaussboys is still too expensive for me because of shipping to Australia, do you know any other stores for magnets?

18. You might want to try magnets365.com a try. I've used them repeatedly with good results.

19. allanboss131

allanboss131 Member

Jun 2, 2016
    Magnetizing the mini one made it 1000x better! I used n48 4x1 on the inside, and n484x2 combined with n48 4x1 on the outers. The inner layers are a little too strong, maybe go for n45s. Its now my main cube and SO MUCH better.

Aysha likes this.
  20. Survfour

Survfour Member

Dec 11, 2015
    What kind of magnets should I use for a WuJi 7x7? I'm thinking of 4x2 N35, but some people have said that 4x2 doesn't fit in the corners. Should I find smaller but stronger that are closest to 4x2 N35 for the corners? Also is 4x2 N35 too strong or weak?