Magnets thread

Discussion in 'Puzzle Building, Modding, & Designing' started by Rcuber123, Nov 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Just place one magnet, say, in an edge, and then hold the corner next to the edge to place the magnet in the corner. Then to do the next edge use the corner as your template, etc.

2. guysensei1

guysensei1 Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Singing pores
    WCA:
    2014WENW01
    Need some physics help here,

If I was magnetising a 5x5, I would put 2 magnets in each wing, one facing the corner and one facing the midge. My question is, in theory, does it matter if the magnets in the wing repel or attract each other? (ie, does one give a stronger attraction in the end product than another?)

3. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    If they attract, then you get a very slightly stronger attraction in the end product, because now you have the wing-corner magnets also attracting the wing-midge magnets. (idk how to explain this well, so have this crude ASCII art diagram)

Code:
      corner   wing   midge   wing    corner

|      @|@     @|@     @|@     @|@      |
           ^ ^       ^
       these two     |
       will attract  |
       this one    --|
       (albeit very weakly)
    In practice, the difference should be negligible.

4. Just build the cube up without the core once you've reassembled all the cubie pieces. If something is wrong, the cube won't hold together. Otherwise, if all is good, the magnets will hold it together without the core.

N48 is fairly strong in this cube, but fine if you prefer a pronounced magnetic feel.

5. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    How does the plastic/thickness compare between a Weichuang and a Wushuang? I have a Weichuang M that I'm not particularly excited about, and I'm getting a Wushuang that I'm inclined to try to magnetize. I'd like to do it right.

6. newtonbase

newtonbase Premium Member

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    Has anyone magnetized one of these Rubik Gans cubes they have at the WCs yet? I might have a go while I'm there.

7. I_<3_SCS

I_<3_SCS Member

Jul 11, 2017
    speaking of that cube, isn't it just a gans cube with tiles?

8. newtonbase

newtonbase Premium Member

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    I've yet to see one but if I can get it open I'll give it a try. How thin are Gans usually? I have N52 and N35 with me (both 4x2 mm) and I favour stronger magnets.

9. grapefruit95

grapefruit95 Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Texas
    WCA:
    2016PERC01
    YouTube:
    channel/UCy6Ffq26wjc65i1O-a31RCg
    Does anyone know what the cubicle uses in the WuQue M?

10. guysensei1

guysensei1 Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Singing pores
    WCA:
    2014WENW01
    Planning to magnetise an even layered cube, if i want to use 4x2 N50s in the outer layers, what magnets should I use in the middle layers to get the most similar feel as the outers?

11. What do you think about N35 3x1.5mm in a Chuwen 2x2?

DMCubing likes this.
  12. Probably will feel nice if you like a lighter pullforce. I just did my Chuwen with N52 3x1.5 and it's awesome!!! I've been working on the video tutorial tonight.

Attached Files:

13. Awesome, thank you! Is the Chuwen with N52's clicky?

When do you think the video will be out?

DMCubing likes this.
  14. No, not really clicky. N52 strength but small 3x1.5 so not too strong.

About to render the video now and should be uploading in the morning.

CornerCutter likes this.
    CornerCutter likes this.
  16. Thank you! I will be ordering the magnets later today!

DMCubing likes this.