Magnets thread

Discussion in 'Puzzle Building, Modding, & Designing' started by Rcuber123, Nov 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. I'm on my FOURTH bottle of Gorilla Impact Tough! Love that stuff!

2. Have you considered N38 4x1.5? It's a nice little notch down in power from the N35 4x2.

qbtronix likes this.
  3. qbtronix

qbtronix Member

Jun 15, 2013
    NC
    I had just ordered 100 N35 3x2s and 100 N35 3x1.5s off ebay. Running the numbers on the K&J site, I think the 3x2s may be possibly be a wee bit weak, but we'll see.

As a reference, I did the Warrior W with N35s instead of N50s as you had in your video, and this suits me perfectly. I love that cube. Also, thanks for all your videos on Youtube! I've developed my own protocol at this point, but you have so many useful pointers and tricks that I doubt I would have been able to magnetize my first cube without your vids to start me off!

DMCubing likes this.
  4. cuber314159

cuber314159 Member

Dec 20, 2016
    My n35s came from eBay yesterday, is it ok to put them in my valk

5. mitja

mitja Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    WCA:
    2016POPO02
    I magnetised my first 4x4 juxin blue stickerless yesterday. I used inner N45 4x1mm for inner slice and N454x1,5mm for the 3x3 part. I believe it turns out amazing. Can hardly wait to do it on my Wuque. It is very hard to get 4mm in the narrow edge place, but can be pushed in and after glueing it holds even better. I can see that inner slice has stronger attraction comparing to outer slice. But I think not too much for me. It is great, because it helps 3x3 part really to be stable, fast and smooth. I have a feeling that, if you try to insert 50% weaker inner magnets to balance the attraction ,you don't get such a nice 3x3 part. Also, it is great that inner slices stay together for H or Z pll. If someone likes to spin single inner slices a lot, then I would reccomend weaker inner magnets. That means: calculate 50% weaker inner magnets.
    After i tried this magnetic 4x4, I understand this new 4x4 records that come from everywhere. The cube feels easy like 3x3.

DMCubing likes this.
  6. I made a Magnetic Valk!!!

It was a lot easier then I thought.

newtonbase and DMCubing like this.
  7. Thanks so much!!!
    Initially I used N35s in the Warrior W but found them too weak for my tastes so I pried them all out and actually used N48s. It's interesting how much variance there is in what people prefer from their magnets.

I ordered some 3mm dia magnets from two Chinese sources over two months ago to use in the middle layer of my 4x4s and they still haven't come in. I'm looking forward to trying them!

allanboss131 likes this.
  8. Sure, they should be. I've used N35s in quite a few Valks. It's a great magnet for this cube if you like a noticeable but subtle magnetic feel.

9. cuber314159

cuber314159 Member

Dec 20, 2016
    How would I know what feel I like when it's my first mag cube

10. mitja

mitja Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    WCA:
    2016POPO02
    Valk is very fast cube by itself, so if you have gentle turning style, you can use weaker magnets, because it is enough. Like N35 4x2. For a strong turning, you can use stronger magnets, but not too much, ecpecialy for stickerles( thinner) plastic.

DMCubing likes this.
  11. Then you have to start somewhere. I actually prototyped seven Valks on my own until I found that it's the N35 4x2 that works well for a variety of solve types. N38 and 42 for more aggressive solvers.
    To describe it can be hard but it's like each time a face comes into its resting position, you feel a slight "bump". People call it a bump, but really it's like a slight indentation. The slower you move, the more you feel this. As you quicken, this bump goes away. The magnets have the effect of keeping the cube aligned better and often helps to prevent over shooting. But there's never a guarantee of that. Using stronger magnets increases this bump. Often it helps to loosen the tensions on a magcube.

12. cuber314159

cuber314159 Member

Dec 20, 2016
    but I find that my valk corner twists occasionally so would loosening the tensions make that happen more even with the magnets

13. newtonbase

newtonbase Premium Member

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    Magnets reduce twists. Loose tensions increase them. You just need to find the right balance for you but you will have a better cube.

DMCubing likes this.
  14. phreaker

phreaker Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I twist the corners on my non-magnetic Valk.

I think I might have twisted a corner on my magnetic... once? It just doesn't happen for me.

15. mitja

mitja Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    WCA:
    2016POPO02
    I finished magnetising 4x4 wuque yesterday. Great, just like juxin blue. 4x4 cubes really benefit the most by magnets. It is such a pleasure doing 3x3 stage now. It was much easier to do it. I need a little less than two hours if i don't count the final drying. I did all the glueing like DMCubing suggests, not just on top of the magnets, but also before the placement. 96 magnets work great and I used the same like I described in above post for juxin blue. Found my own system based on 3x3 tutorials from DMCubing( thanks). After i finish inner slice edges with 48 weaker magnets, i treat the same coloured edge pairs as one 3x3 edge. Based on that i do the 3x3 edges and corners. It works without any confusion.

Now 5x5.
    Any suggestions? I plan to do 96 weak magnets in inner slice( 2 inner slices) ot thredges. After that I will threat full tredges like one 3x3 edge and do 48 stronger magnets for 3x3 stage.

DMCubing likes this.
  16. Absolutely!

17. cuber314159

cuber314159 Member

Dec 20, 2016
    T
    Thanks
    I made a quick warrior w m to prove to my dad that mag cubes are good, I should do my valk next but your right n35s are too weak for warrior w
    Thanks dm cubing I used your tutorial

I also made a boob cube M and honestly it's too weak, I try to make It repel the solved state but it won't go to +2 only thirty degrees off

DMCubing likes this.
  18. IamSpeedcubing

IamSpeedcubing Member

Mar 8, 2016
    How would I go about magnetising a 4x4 and a 5x5?

19. Rubix Cubix

Rubix Cubix Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Bath, UK
    Anyone have any suggestions as to what would be good magnets in a weipo 2x2. I've seen some people use 4x2 N35 and some using smaller ones like 3x1.5 N42. I'm leaning towards the weaker ones but not sure.

20. SolveThatCube

SolveThatCube Member

Jan 4, 2014
    WCA:
    2014ADCO01
    YouTube:
    SolveThatCube
    So my N35 magnets finally arrived and I can't wait to magnetize my Valk!
    But first I want to practice on a different cube so I know what I'm doing. Any suggestions?
    I'm not sure which cube to try it out on, I only have N35s so not the strongest magnet but I'm not looking for a strong pull anyway. What speedcube other than the Valk do you guys suggest for using N35s in?

Black YueXiao
    Black GTS
    Black AoLong v2
    Black Thunderclap v1
    Stickerless GuHong

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 3:23 PM