Magnets in pyraminxes

Discussion in 'WCA Regulations' started by RandomCubing, Nov 13, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Yeah

27.6%
  2. Nah

65.5%
  3. I don't know

6.9%
  1. RandomCubing

RandomCubing Member

Nov 13, 2017
    would it be wca "legal" to have only one strong magnet in your pyraminx tips so you just need one flick to solve always? Thanks for any help

2. JustAnotherGenericCuber

JustAnotherGenericCuber Member

Apr 19, 2017
    United States
    WCA:
    2017OSTD02
    Qiyi and Moyu both have mass produced magnetic pyras

3. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    3h) Modifications that enhance the basic concept of a puzzle are not permitted. Modified versions of puzzles are permitted only if the modification does not make any additional information available to the competitor (e.g. orientation or identity of pieces), compared to an unmodified version of the same puzzle.

3h++) EXAMPLE Examples of enhancements include: new moves are possible, normal moves are impossible, more pieces or faces are visible, colors on the backside of the puzzle are visible, moves are done automatically, or the puzzles has more/different solved states.

Not explicitly mentioned among the examples, but it seems similar enough to "moves are done automatically" that this should be considered illegal.

GenTheThief likes this.
  4. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    I don't know why you've got a poll, because this isn't something that can be decided by a poll. 5 people voted before me, and all of them apparently only read only the title and didn't read the post, and all of them are wrong.

Having magnets to align the tip to its closest position is legal. Having only a single pair of magnets to always align tips to the solved state are definitely NOT legal.

5. WACWCA

WACWCA Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Maryland
    WCA:
    2012CALL01
    YouTube:
    Will Callan
    You can't have just 1 per tip because then it's not evenly magnetized, and it pulls it to solved state only.

6. I was thinking about this the other week but I forgot to ask. Cool thought, but not legal.

7. WombatWarrior17

WombatWarrior17 Member

Sep 17, 2016
    WCA:
    2017GRIF07
    I would suggest weaker magnets if you're trying to turn the tips easier.
    But I would say that one strong magnet is illegal.