[Help Thread] Lubrication Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by kprox1994, Jun 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    It's my understanding that the Valk 3 has a reputation for being fantastic out of the box, I've seen a lot of people just not set it up at all.
    Also, The Cubicle's premium cubes are known to not require re-lubrication for quite a while, so if it's that bad it might be a good idea to ask The Cubicle directly about it.

As for how specifically to set it up, that's something you have to figure out. All but one of my 3x3's are set up pretty much the same way, the exception being my Gans Air (it's really touchy about thicker silicone lubricants), so it's not like you have to have a unique setup for each cube. I recommend you set it up the way you've set up your other cubes, and adjust it as needed.

As for lube, I recommend you get some Maru and/or Silk at least. Traxxis 50k is fine, but certain lubes change the way the cube feels in certain ways, and what you use to lubricate the cube is half the setup.

2. ElectricDoodie

ElectricDoodie Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Chicago
    Awesome, thanks for the response. I did hear the same about not needing to touch Premium Valk 3 after receiving it from Cubicle, which is why I was surprised at this. It's not enough of a big deal for me to complain about it or anything.

You're right, I should just set it up the same way I did my ZhanChi and GuHong. I just loosened the tension a bit (closer to how I have my other cubes), and it's miles better. I'm guessing they just had it on too tight.

Dash Lambda likes this.
  3. Danny Gorlov

Danny Gorlov Member

Dec 17, 2016
    Want to get a DaYan 2x2 50mm, what lube would fit it? Completely new to lube, Thanks.

4. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    I put Traxxis 50K in mine a while ago and it's been perfectly fine. I've had mixed results with Maru, sometimes it gets really sticky and horrible and sometimes it gets really fast and nice, not sure why...
    I'm not big into 2x2, so I'm probably not an expert, but really any silicone grease (Traxxis, Lubicle, etc.) should do well.

5. TheChaiCuber

TheChaiCuber Member

Sep 30, 2015
    San Francisco
    WCA:
    2016CHAI03
    Hi guys, i was wondering if there's a need for 4x4's and 6x6's to have their cores lubed. Because i noticed the screws don't move only the rings around the cores move, so i know those parts i should be lubing. but what about the screws? should i take that apart and will lubing that part prolong the lifespan of the cube or nah?

6. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    The screw shaft does move, it slides up and down to provide tension.
    But, since it's not a rotating part, it's not really necessary to lube it. I always do because there actually is a little spring noise if I don't and sometimes it actually makes the cube feel a little more stable, but it's not nearly as much of a concern as it is on even-order cubes.

7. TheChaiCuber

TheChaiCuber Member

Sep 30, 2015
    San Francisco
    WCA:
    2016CHAI03
    Thanks! i forgot about tension in cubes, LOL.

I'll prolly take the time to do it then, might as well

8. Martial

Martial Member

Jan 25, 2012
    France
    WCA:
    2013BONA01
    YouTube:
    MartialMDB
    Hello,
    Does someone know what kind of lubricant is in the Valk3 when you buy it ? Because I agree that it turns really well after unboxing, and I kept that feeling, I didn't need to lubricate it for 1-2 months.

9. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    Anyone have good numbers for how long Silk lasts? I can tell the difference when I put it in a cube, but it wears out so gradually that there's no point where I feel it's actually changed.

10. pipkiksass

pipkiksass Member

Jan 1, 2013
    YouTube:
    pipkiksass
    On a 3x3 I usually stop feeling it after about 2-3000 solves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. TheChaiCuber

TheChaiCuber Member

Sep 30, 2015
    San Francisco
    WCA:
    2016CHAI03
    If you actually meant 2 solves - 3000. That's another level of trolling lol

pipkiksass likes this.
  12. pipkiksass

pipkiksass Member

Jan 1, 2013
    YouTube:
    pipkiksass
    Lmao, yeah 2k-3k. Don't feed the trolls!!!

13. messiahyo_

messiahyo_ Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I want to lubricate and make my Shaung-Ren V2 smoother and faster. an I do this with oil. If yes, how so?

14. AirbusCube

AirbusCube Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Sweden, Dalarna,
    WCA:
    2015SKOT01
    It depends on what kind of oil, the best would be silicone oil. Search on youtube for tutorials how to apply it, and I am not a lube master so listen to someone elses opinion too.

15. messiahyo_

messiahyo_ Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm just using simple kitchen oil.

16. Loiloiloi

Loiloiloi Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    WCA:
    2016CLAR04
    Don't, you probably have Vaseline lying around the house and even that is better.

Dash Lambda likes this.
  17. To OP, If your oil is petroleum based don't use it as it will degrade the plastic. try something that you would get from a cube store or some silicone lubricant will do.
    This just made me laugh :p

18. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    Vaseline's still not that good. If you're going to lubricate a cube, keep in mind that it's never really necessary, and you should only do it with something that will really work. I'd recommend Maru Lube or Lubicle Silk to make it faster, and one of the heavier cubicle lubes to make it smoother.

Dash Lambda and Loiloiloi like this.
  19. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    Like @DGCubes said, it's not worth it to lubricate it if you're using something that won't work that well.
    If you're on a budget, the best bang for your buck is a good silicone differential oil, like Traxxis 50k.
    Don't get cooking oil anywhere near your cube, that would make it very sticky (as in the layers stick when you're turning) and you won't be able to get it out. I've ruined a cube that way before.

20. messiahyo_

messiahyo_ Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Actually, nope.

I mean, I have veg oil, cocunut oil, olive oil, that kidna oil

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
    Dom likes this.