[Member Intro] It's been a while

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by David J, Aug 6, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. David J

David J Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Santa Barbara, California
    Back story and information

I began cubing in February 1981. I use the original “Official” Rubik’s Cubes color scheme, now known as the Japanese color scheme.
    I’ve been away from cubing for a few years, but I am picking it up again. I developed my own method, which has been hosted here for over a decade: http://www.speedcubing.com/DavidJSalvia.html
    The notation there is for both the 3x3x3 and the 4x4x4. This whole page seriously needs to be updated…
    My CLL and ELL algorithms are hosted by Macky on his site: http://cubefreak.net/speed/salvia/
    Mostly I’ve enjoyed looking for algorithms and never seriously tried for speed. I chose CLL because it is very useful in solving the 2x2x2.
    Up to this point in time everything I have done on the cube I developed on my own. This includes nearly 400 algorithms.

Personal best

3x3x3
    Single solve 9.50 (about 2008)
    Best average around 22 seconds (about 2010)
    I’ve not timed myself on the 4by, 5by, 6by, or 7by. I haven’t tried any cubes larger than those.

Goals

I’ve been inspired by what I have seen recently and I’ve decided to begin learning from others and to train for speed. I’m starting with learning finger tricks for the 2x2x2 and the LL on the 3x3x3. I see that the technology of cubes has changed quite a bit while I was away. I just ordered my first speedcubes, a 2x2x2 and a 3x3x3.

2. WombatWarrior17

WombatWarrior17 Member

Sep 17, 2016
    Welcome to the site! It's nice to see someone who has been cubing for so long, and I think it's cool that everything you've done is all developed by you.

I_<3_SCS likes this.
  3. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    I_<3_SCS likes this.
  4. TDM

TDM Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Oxfordshire, UK
    WCA:
    2013MEND03
    YouTube:
    TDM028
    Welcome back!

I_<3_SCS likes this.
  5. SenorJuan

SenorJuan Member

Sep 26, 2014
    U.K
    Welcome from another 80's cuber.
    It's nice to see another intuitive cube-rotation notation. I devised my own, too, [ U ] , [ F ] , [ R ] , seems I wasn't alone in my choice. I hate the xyz notation, to this day I can't remember it, and have to think carefully when writing algs on here for everyone else's comprehension.

I_<3_SCS likes this.
  6. tx789

tx789 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    New Zealand
    WCA:
    2010HUNT02
    YouTube:
    thetx789
    Welcome big cube hardware is miles better than it used to be. 7x7 and 6x6 WRs are crazy fast.

I_<3_SCS likes this.
  7. greentgoatgal

greentgoatgal Member

Feb 6, 2017
  8. I_<3_SCS

I_<3_SCS Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Potland, Colorado
  9. David J

David J Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Santa Barbara, California
    Thank you for the welcome!
    If you have questions about my method, feel free to ask.