• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

fatymid

Hi,

I just bought Dayan's cube and the first thing I noticed is the sound it makes. Despite normal and appealing 'clicks' it also produces some kind of metallic sound, especially when moving the middle layer. Should I lubricate the cube or is it natural and will pass after using the cube for some time?

Rcuber123

WCA
2014TAMI01
Hi,

I just bought Dayan's cube and the first thing I noticed is the sound it makes. Despite normal and appealing 'clicks' it also produces some kind of metallic sound, especially when moving the middle layer. Should I lubricate the cube or is it natural and will pass after using the cube for some time?
What u are hearing is the springs. Lubrication should fix the problem

My cube now turns very slow and locks up often before,it was better before now it sucks cause my friend accidentally threw it and the screw went missing so I needed to replace it with my old cube screw.Now it turns like sh*t I already cleaned it and tension it.
Any tips?

Luke8

WCA
2017MYKL01
Try using cube lube on the pieces. I recommend DNM-37. If that doesn't help, get a new cube, you lost the screw and the replacement obviously doesn't work. I recommend the Weilong GTS or the GouGan YeaXiao. Happy cubing!

Lermanator

Hi I got this valk m a few weeks back and um i uh dropped it like 5 times (not that hard). I also cube in front of non cubers and they insist on scrambling it and turning really hard. I am starting to feel the tensions have sli loosen and the magnets become a little weaker. I don't know if these are real observations or just me worrying that I may have ruined this cube. Any thoughts?

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi I got this valk m a few weeks back and um i uh dropped it like 5 times (not that hard). I also cube in front of non cubers and they insist on scrambling it and turning really hard. I am starting to feel the tensions have sli loosen and the magnets become a little weaker. I don't know if these are real observations or just me worrying that I may have ruined this cube. Any thoughts?

The magnets used in the Valk won't lose their magnetism, but looser tensions can result in the magnets being father apart, and therefore feel weakened.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Hi, I got this Valk M a few weeks back and I dropped it like 5 times (not that hard). I also cube in front of non cubers and they insist on scrambling it and turning really hard. I am starting to feel that the tensions have slightly loosened and the magnets have become a little weaker. I don't know if these are real observations or just me worrying that I may have ruined this cube. Any thoughts?
The magnets will not lose strength from physical shock, you can only really do that with heat or electricity (and a lot of it).
The tensions will loosen from use, more from abuse, so that's pretty normal. Like others have said, just tighten it.
If at any point a magnet breaks off, TheCubicle will sort that out for you. In most situations, the cube should break before the magnets -But it has happened before.

The magnets used in the Valk won't lose their magnetism, but looser tensions can result in the magnets being father apart, and therefore feeling weakened.
Actually, it's my observation that people generally report the magnets feeling stronger with looser tensions.
The distance between the pieces shouldn't actually increase with looser tensions, just the resistance from friction. What people usually think of as the strength of the magnets is really just how strong the magnets feel in relation to the normal friction.

AidanNoogie

WCA
2017MCKE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello,

I got a Qiyi Wuque about a week ago and it doesn't corner cut good, about a piece and can barely do reverse. How can I fix this? Did it take a while for yours to corner cut good or did you do something to fix it?

Please help!

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Hello,

I got a Qiyi Wuque about a week ago and it doesn't corner cut good, about a piece and can barely do reverse. How can I fix this? Did it take a while for yours to corner cut good or did you do something to fix it?

Please help!
It's a 4x4, so corner cutting will be limited. Mine does about a cubie and a quarter forward and not quite half a cubie reverse.
That being said, the WuQue gets better with break-in and proper setup, so it should improve noticeably with a bit of use.

AidanNoogie

WCA
2017MCKE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's a 4x4, so corner cutting will be limited. Mine does about a cubie and a quarter forward and not quite half a cubie reverse.
That being said, the WuQue gets better with break-in and proper setup, so it should improve noticeably with a bit of use.
I lubed it with weight 5 on the core, weight 3 on the pieces and maru lube. Is that a good setup?

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
I lubed it with weight 5 on the core, weight 3 on the pieces and maru lube. Is that a good setup?
That's a subjective thing.
I'll say that you should probably get some DNM-37 in place of the Maru, since Maru leaves a residue and has some orders of magnitude shorter of a lifespan. Other than that, there's no way for me to tell you what you like.
I use Lubicle Standard on the core, Lubicle Speedy that I applied then wiped off on the pieces, along with Silk, DNM-37, and now Lubicle One.

Aserian

Hey guys, just got into big cubes and have been having some issues with the outer layers catching (not full locks for the most part) quite a bit. They are new cubes so I am still working them in. Will these catches slowly go away over time or is it indicative of a cube that is too tight/loose or underlubed? (no lube in them yet while I break them in).

Do big cubes require more/less time to break in?

Thanks for your time!

Hey guys, just got into big cubes and have been having some issues with the outer layers catching (not full locks for the most part) quite a bit. They are new cubes so I am still working them in. Will these catches slowly go away over time or is it indicative of a cube that is too tight/loose or underlubed? (no lube in them yet while I break them in).

Do big cubes require more/less time to break in?

Thanks for your time!
What types of cubes do you have? You mimht just have bad models.

My 4x4 is the QiYi Wuque and my 5x5 is the QiYi WuShuang. I have the "budget" Yuxin cloud 5x5 as well, which seems to actually catch less than the WuShuang
Oh. What are the tensions and setup on the cube? Howere, I use both the Wuque and the Qushuang as my mains, and non of them catch, so I think it just has to do with break-in/setup/tensions.

Aserian

Oh. What are the tensions and setup on the cube? Howere, I use both the Wuque and the Qushuang as my mains, and non of them catch, so I think it just has to do with break-in/setup/tensions.

I've got it set up to corner cut at 1 cubie, is this too loose/tight? And yeah, I haven't had a chance to fully break it in/lube it so that could be the issue too. Just that every review I read is like "right out of the box it's great, no catching, yada yada", so it makes me think either A) they're being paid to say it or B) my big tension skills are not as refined as my 3x3.

I've got it set up to corner cut at 1 cubie, is this too loose/tight? And yeah, I haven't had a chance to fully break it in/lube it so that could be the issue too. Just that every review I read is like "right out of the box it's great, no catching, yada yada", so it makes me think either A) they're being paid to say it or B) my big tension skills are not as refined as my 3x3.
an you post a picture of the tensions? How did you lube it?

Aserian

an you post a picture of the tensions? How did you lube it?

Not sure how to post a picture of tensions? Also I heard you're supposed to break it in before lubing so it's not lubed yet, do you have a recommendation on which lube to use for big cubes?