• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

is 45 degrees reverse corner cutting possible???

is it

• yes

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • don't know

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • don't care

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol with the new cubes when you get to 45 degrees reverse the cube just does a normal corner cut
But would it be possible to create a cube that can corner cut 45 and reverse corner cut 45 and be a good cube. Have cube companies reached the limit of corner cutting with 55 normal 35 reverse or would it be better to have more reverse corner cutting at the expense of normal corner cutting.

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
But would it be possible to create a cube that can corner cut 45 and reverse corner cut 45 and be a good cube. Have cube companies reached the limit of corner cutting with 55 normal 35 reverse or would it be better to have more reverse corner cutting at the expense of normal corner cutting.
do you own a 3x3 .45 degrees is in the middle of the turn so it will do normal corner cutting no matter what

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
do you own a 3x3 .45 degrees is in the middle of the turn so it will do normal corner cutting no matter what
Yes, with a cube today but what if you had a cube that could reverse corner cut there, when the fangshi shaungren came out it was revolutionary because it had 45 degrees corner cutting, would the same with reverse be possible

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
Yes, with a cube today but what if you had a cube that could reverse corner cut there, when the fangshi shaungren came out it was revolutionary because it had 45 degrees corner cutting, would the same with reverse be possible
cmaon its useless if its at 45 degrees it doesnt matter what direction will cut

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
cmaon its useless if its at 45 degrees it doesnt matter what direction will cut

I'm not sure you get what he's saying. Right now, cube companies have mostly maxed out corner cutting at 55 degrees forward and 35 degrees reverse (give or take), but that doesn't mean they couldn't change those numbers. Personally I think most modern cubes really need to work on reverse corner cutting, as the lack of it on some cubes (or the force required to do it) can cause lock-ups. I'd really like to see a cube that requires as little force to reverse corner cut as it does to regular corner cut, and one that can reverse cut around 45 degrees.

And yes, it does matter which direction it will cut. Try doing U R on a cube, but only turning the U face 45-50 degrees before you start the R. Even though that would be extremely efficient turning, there is definitely a problem if the cube isn't doing the moves you want it to.

Sure, when a cube is misaligned by 45 degrees, the desired turn can be ambiguous, but I still think the 55-35 limits should be closer to 45-45.

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
I'm not sure you get what he's saying. Right now, cube companies have mostly maxed out corner cutting at 55 degrees forward and 35 degrees reverse (give or take), but that doesn't mean they couldn't change those numbers. Personally I think most modern cubes really need to work on reverse corner cutting, as the lack of it on some cubes (or the force required to do it) can cause lock-ups. I'd really like to see a cube that requires as little force to reverse corner cut as it does to regular corner cut, and one that can reverse cut around 45 degrees.

And yes, it does matter which direction it will cut. Try doing U R on a cube, but only turning the U face 45-50 degrees before you start the R. Even though that would be extremely efficient turning, there is definitely a problem if the cube isn't doing the moves you want it to.

Sure, when a cube is misaligned by 45 degrees, the desired turn can be ambiguous, but I still think the 55-35 limits should be closer to 45-45.
I get your point but I think they should keep the corner cutting the same but just make it require less force to cut cause that would be more useful

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
(cube: forward corner cutting; reverse corner cutting)
Gts2: 57;34
Valk M: 55;35
MF3RS: 55;31
Warrior w: 45;31
MF mini 3x3x3: 56;34 with quite alot of force

Can anyone add to my database?

I don't think you can quantify corner cutting that precisely. A lot of it comes down to his you tension your cube, which is really personal preference.

Also, how are you getting those numbers?

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think you can quantify corner cutting that precisely. A lot of it comes down to his you tension your cube, which is really personal preference.

Also, how are you getting those numbers?
Protractor, it's kind of hard to line up properly but I think the figures are ok but not perfect. Funny thing is I had most of those cubes laid out then my sister(average 2 minutes at 3x3x3) started testing corner cutting(I was surprised she knew what it was)

Dancing Jules

I'm not sure whether it's even physically possible to produce a cube that does more reverse corner cutting than forwards corner cutting. If you tried to imagine, the most corner-cutty cube possible:
2017-10-01 23_44_41-_Neues Dokument 1 - Inkscape.png
If you apply R', the corner can't slide off to the right - because of the symmetry.