• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

If the buffer piece is in a correct place but the edges are swapped, what do I do?

Hello! I just have a beginner question about Old Pochmann buffer piece.

So I was solving the edges and I came across with a problem that I seem to not know how to fix it.

I have attached a picture of what is going on because it is easier to see what is going on that way.

If anyone knows how to deal with this, please help!photo.JPG photo.JPG

WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Shoot to the same flipped edge twice, and this should flip both it and tour buffer.

Essentially you'll swap this unsolved edge with your buffer, then place it back in position.

Edit: Assumed it was M2, sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! but I'm afraid that I do not know what shoot up means... could you explain with more details please?

Or do I just do U R R U ?

WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I assume you're using Old Pochmann? My apologies, as I thought you were using M2 (which has a different buffer).

There must definitely be another flipped edge somewhere. There's no way a single edge can be flipped.

Has your cube been recently disassembled?

WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, gotcha.

Then it should be easy:

You'll solve this same flipped edge twice, once with each sticker. First setup your blue sticker into the buffer position, and do your swapping algorithm.

Undo the setup, and now setup the yellow sticker there. Do the swap, and undo the setup.

This will flip both this piece and your buffer.

WCA
2013BARK01
Sometimes if it's convenient I cheat a little and do something like (say the UR and DL edges are flipped)
L2 M' U' M' U' M' U' M2 U' M' U' M' U' M' U2 L2
which is shorter than
L2 R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L' E L' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L E' L'

L

lucarubik

U M' M'U M' U M' U M'U2 M' U M' U M' is both faster and a better aproach than r' U' R U M2 U' R' U M' U R U' M2 U' R' U R isnt it?
better aproach as set ups to a fixed alg, even if the alg is a couple of comms, instead of always using a couple of coms that involve DF
i wouldnt call your alg cheating, i would call it the right approach, half of the times you have to twist you dont have to twist your buffer piece, so you either use free buffer on your twisting comms, wich is ideal, or you "cheat" but you dont involve DF if DF is propperly solved do you? :/
of course the ideal approach would be to use comms with free buffer, but that's really next level
i know im kinda going offtopic but...

I guess you could do L2 U M' U2 M U L2 D M' U M D' M' U' M too, involving your buffer piece as the third piece, but that would be rather slow lots of times
Rubik's cube is a complex thing

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
To flip edges UF and UB - M' U' M' U' M' U' M' U2 M' U' M' U' M' U' M'
To flip edges UR and DF (buffer) ((M' U)3 M U)2 or switch U to U' for UL and DF (M' U M' U M' U M U M' U M' U M' U M U)
Flip DF and UB
U M' U M' U M' U M U M' U M' U M' U M
To flip all top edges M' U' M' U' M' U' M' U M' U' M' U' M' U' M' U