• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Human Limit For MBLD sub hour

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
So I was thinking about MBLD in the sense of how many cubes could theoretically be done in under an hour. If you take the fact that there are 3600 seconds in an hour, and divide that by the 3bld wr single, you get just over 201. As BLD is an event that some people do think could be improved a lot, could we actually see 200 cubes attempted? If we ignored reviewing cubes and just went as fast as possible, could we hit 200 in the next 10 or 20 years?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
LOLNo. But I'm thrilled that there are finally people making even more ridiculous suggestions than me for a change. :)

Back in 2011 at US Nationals I said I believed it was quite possible we'd hit 60 cubes. I still stand by that claim, and now I'm thinking we might even beat it. But I don't think we'll get remotely close to 200.

WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
MBLD is still underdeveloped, even compared to 3BLD.

In 3BLD, we are about to enter the realms of fine tuning in execution as memorization techniques start to bottleneck. Pure audio + visual memo, predicting the last piece, etc are already implemented and most top tier BLDers are getting their fire power out of execution: Think how the <MES> moveset has been a "recent" game changer and how the marginal advantages allegedly provided by UFR/UF Buffers are starting to be experienced.

In MBLD, there's still a long way to go:

- Optimized use of Loci to improve memorization and reduce reviews;

- Review systems developed to optimize the global memorization phase;

- Transitioning between cubes to save ever more precious seconds during the execution phase;

And plenty more aspects. I don't think we are even close to discovering the ceiling for MBLD, but it is a safe assumption that 60 cubes under 60 minutes is not going to be seen before 2020.

Last edited:

Alex B71

I seriously believe the upper bound is near 80+ cubes... Most people won't be capable of this type of feat, but let's say someone like Kim Peek or that man who can draw anything from memory with near perfect accuracy only needing to look at it once takes up MBLD... Execution will also play a factor. But 200+ Cubes will take some type of Maskow + Kim Peek hybrid, practicing from birth with a full list of ergonomic 5 cycles... And a really good day.

Seriously though, about 80 may be possible for someone to do someday, hopefully within my lifetime. (Would love to watch that video)

Gomorrite

Maybe people with implanted coprocessors in the brain can do 200, but by that time cognitive sports will be under the same situation as physical sports now (doping) and will suck anyway.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I'm going to say 75-80 cubes will eventually be humanly possible, but probably won't happen for a couple of decades. In fact, I suspect that the person who will be able to acheive that has not been born yet.

I think of some of the younger good MBLDers now, given enough practice, and without the rest of their life interfering, and if they manage to maintain the interest and passion for another 5 to 10 years, could realistically reach 60 points eventually.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going to say 75-80 cubes will eventually be humanly possible, but probably won't happen for a couple of decades. In fact, I suspect that the person who will be able to acheive that has not been born yet.

I think of some of the younger good MBLDers now, given enough practice, and without the rest of their life interfering, and if they manage to maintain the interest and passion for another 5 to 10 years, could realistically reach 60 points eventually.

I noticed that majority of blders loose the interest really quickly. This is true for Maskow, Zalewski, Grzegorz, Ishaan, Angelo, Marcel Endrey and a lot of others. Because of that BLD events develop really, really slow.

Gomorrite

I noticed that majority of blders loose the interest really quickly. This is true for Maskow, Zalewski, Grzegorz, Ishaan, Angelo, Marcel Endrey and a lot of others. Because of that BLD events develop really, really slow.
Angelo and Ishaan? But the both have recent PBs and WRs...

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
I was more thinking of this is the context of like 200 or so years away, but yeah 200 isn't happening in like our lifetimes. 80 or something can definitely happen by like 2040 tho.

U

Underwatercuber

I heard on CF that they both quit, but I am not sure if this is 100% true
I don’t think they quit at all, if anything they are just taking some sort of break from 3bld to practice something else or they just aren’t practicing it as vigorously as they used to.

U

Underwatercuber

Well assuming someone has average memo of 40 (a little faster than what people are currently getting) but lots of people execute pretty slow to their 3bld execution. If people executed in less than 20 seconds I think it can open up lots of room. With 40/20 splits you could break 60 points for sure. I think the limit would probably be something around 60 since the more cubes you memo the slower your memo will be (reviewing to not forget). I really hope I am wrong though and people go above and beyond that :p

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the fact the WR has stood for nearly 5 years despite a number of top BLDers recently pushing hard to break it just shows what an awesome achievement it was and how far ahead Maskow was. My guess is that it will fall within the next year or so to one of the current top MBLDers, by a small margin. Then at some point in the future someone will come out of nowhere and smash it into the 50s, like Maskow did, or like Kaijun did with big BLD. There are no limits, only goals.

efattah

It astonishes me how limited people choose to think. If you ever predict something as 'impossible', you will in short order always be proven wrong. In the early days of freediving I made claims of where freediving records would go, and everyone thought my predictions were insane, and all came true and even greater performances have been done.

With MBLD, all it will take is either (A) someone with a photographic memory, or (B) an autistic savant who also has a (different) kind of photographic memory. Such a person could memorize an entire cube in 1 second, then fingertrick the solve in 11 seconds, yielding 300 cubes in an hour. These people do not need to use any type of memorization 'method', they can flip through a 500-page book in 1 minute and remember every word.

Whether such a person appears or not in the cubing scene is a different story. The question is what is possible vs. what is not.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really don't believe a photographic memory like that exists. See this article - I don't necessarily agree with everything it says, but it seems most of its claims are true.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/open-gently/201504/theres-no-such-thing-photographic-memory
On the other hand, if we ever start having chips-in-the-brain (and I suspect we will, and sooner than most people think), all bets are off. We might very well see 300 cubes in an hour then. But will anyone still care then?

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
We might very well see 300 cubes in an hour then. But will anyone still care then?
I still think people would care, but then it would be about transition time, and even small increments of time like reorienting puzzles and such.
300 would take 12 seconds per cube, and idk if that's possible.
If we get down to:
1 second to orient
4 seconds to memo
4 seconds to ex
that leaves three seconds for transitions

And at this point, and what I was thinking when I said 200, people wouldn't be reviewing, just hoping. This would definitely make getting 200/200 near to impossible, and about more luck than skill.