[Help Thread] Hoya Discussion

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by Nilsibert, Dec 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. TheBrutux168

TheBrutux168 Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Sydney
    WCA:
    2014WONG08
    YouTube:
    TheBrutux168
  2. It looks like your looking ahead on centres and centres-dedges need to be improved.
    I don't see anything else.

3. TheBrutux168

TheBrutux168 Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Sydney
    WCA:
    2014WONG08
    YouTube:
    TheBrutux168
    Ok, cool thanks!

4. You're welcome.

5. SpeedCuber71

SpeedCuber71 Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Mumbai
    WCA:
    2014BHAT09
    YouTube:
    SpeedCuber71
    https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~dadams/hoya/ doesn't seem to show the cases anymore since a while (at least for me). Is it just me or is it the same for y'all?

Also 1:18 official avg and 1:08 single in 5x5 with the method. 32 4x4 single too (i don't practice 4x4). I don't solve individual complete cross edge pieces at once. i solve whatever piece i see first.

Chree likes this.
  6. I don't see it either :/

Wow! VVGJ :)

7. newtonbase

newtonbase Premium Member

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    It's been down for a few months.

8. SpeedCuber71

SpeedCuber71 Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Mumbai
    WCA:
    2014BHAT09
    YouTube:
    SpeedCuber71

And damn, i really wanted to see those algs as i may switch to one complete cross piece at a time only for 4x4...

Nooo ;_:

Does anyone have it saved and can share it here please? I will be very grateful. Thank you :).

9. asacuber

asacuber Member

Nov 4, 2015
    India
    WCA:
    2015SANT44
    YouTube:
    /channel/UC5znrjIR5WXZMlAubzUAG-w
    Hey I want to improve at 4x4, here are my splits:

F4C: 8-10
    Cross edges: 16-18
    L2C: 2-3
    3-2-3: 15(Not so sure)
    3x3: 12-15

Full solve: 58-1:02

Where could I get faster?

10. I would probably say your cross edges tbh but I'm no expert.

11. SpeedCubeReview

SpeedCubeReview Member

May 25, 2014
    Holly, MI
    YouTube:
    SpeedCubeReview
    Here is a 55 second solve at MCC Alpha. I'm doing 6-2 for edges. I have an awkward slice thingy during the final two centers and think I just need to do (F L) then solve the centers more freely instead of just doing (F) and slicing. Any tips for me?

It looks like my splits were
    F4C: 9
    Cross Edges: 11
    L2C: 5
    6-2: 14
    3x3: 16

Dom likes this.
  12. SpeedCuber71

SpeedCuber71 Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Mumbai
    WCA:
    2014BHAT09
    YouTube:
    SpeedCuber71
  13. Chree

Chree Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    WCA:
    2013BROT01
    YouTube:
    chree55
    I kinda wish I could see what was going on from your POV, just to get a better view of the Hoya steps. All in all, I'd say that looked just fine. As for specific observations:
    • First 2 Centers looked like they coulda benefited from more lookahead, just to reduce a few split second pauses. But then the Second 2 Centers went by real quick.
    • Your flow during Cross was pretty legit, and I saw you doing a lot of plain ol' R2, L2, R B' R' stuff to just toss in single pieces at a time. Good stuff. TPS and lookahead will come with practice, so just keep doin' what you're doin'. But again, there might be some things I'm missing since I can't see the Front.
    • The slice moves during L2C seemed slightly awkward, and the alg you use seemed to require 4 of them. That kinda precision does come with time, but have you consider using wide move variants? If that was a Slash/Bar case, you could solve the Bar first with L F2 L' (or 3Rw U2 3Rw'), and then solve the Slash without using any slices. It might be 3 moves less efficient, but I find that it's quicker and has less need for precision.
    • Probably the biggest area of improvement is L8E and 3x3 stage, just looking at the splits. So, no Hoya specific advice to give there. Obv you could consider using 3-2-3, but if you like 6-2, then have at it. And 3x3 stage is just practice (gotta love the Wuque for them outer layers, though)
    I always love watching people do the Hoya Cross and seeing all those D moves :-D Nice solve, man.

Niiiiiiiiiice!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    SpeedCuber71 likes this.
  14. So guys, I played with Hoya for a while, and over Yau and maybe even Meyer I like it. Only problem is that my times suck with it. My average was around 1:25 or 1:30 (My Lewis solves are sub-1:05, K4 is sub-1:20). any tips on improving?

15. That's what I've been doing wrong. I thought the first step of Hoya was 2 adjacent centers. Duh, it makes sense 2 opp centers is faster.

16. Chree

Chree Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    WCA:
    2013BROT01
    YouTube:
    chree55
    Almost all of the time, I do Opposites for my first 2 centers... but Jong-Ho actually does adjacent centers. And every once in a while, the White face is just too good not to start with it, so I'll do adjacent centers. So as with most things, it comes down to what you're used to and what you practice.

17. My splits are:
    15 - F4C
    25 - F4E+L2C
    20 - L8E
    20 - 3x3

Where should I Improve?

18. What are your thoughts on co-centre building (building two centres at the same time) and (partial) edge pair preservation during L2Ce ?

I'm asking this because, I find myself doing that on 4x4-6x6 (I use Hoya on all three with a particular combination of 3x3 methods) and sometimes it does pay off in terms of move count (especially when the preserved edges are fully paired) but sometimes (especially when I try to preserve 2+ edge pairs) it feels like a waste of time and effort.

Apologies if it was already discussed on this thread.

19. Chree

Chree Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    WCA:
    2013BROT01
    YouTube:
    chree55
    I don't think I understand the question. During L2C, there are obviously only 2 centers left to build, and you could just throw that pair into the BR F2L slot with no problem. So I'm guessing that you're talking about something more complicated than that.

20. For the L2Ce thing, yes, when you have one pair.

I should have mentioned the case where there's more than one edge pair (other than the cross ones).