How to increase moves per second?

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by Kshitij Singh, Jan 9, 2018.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. SenorJuan

SenorJuan Member

Sep 26, 2014
    U.K
    The Senioroy seems like a reasonable budget speedcube, so it's not the cube that's holding you back. However, it's possible to set up any cube in a bad way, or a way that doesn't suit your skill level / style / etc. A cube that overshoots can be just as troublesome as one that's stiff. And if the 6 faces are not closely matched in tension, you will get inconsistent performance.
    Can your fast friend solve YOUR cube quickly?? Maybe he can see if there's any improvement can be made. Have you tried solving HIS puzzle??

2. Kshitij Singh

Kshitij Singh Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Jammu, India
    Yes. Iht takes just 1 2 secs less

He uses a MoYu

Or

Maybe a sheinghshou

All these Chinese Cubes look the same to me

;-P

This is me solving the cube.
    Sorry if the video quality is bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
  3. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    The quality is fine. Thanks for posting this. This is so much more useful for helping you.
    1. First rule. When you are looking for a piece, NEVER rotate the cube. Hold the cube still and tilt your head from side to side to see the sides of the cube, and tilt the cube gently forward or backwards to see the back or bottom. If you can't see your piece, think about where it could be based on the stickers you can see. Once you know where the piece is, do one rotation only to get it where you want it to be. You should only have to check each spot once, but you frantically flip the cube over and over and have no method. Calm down.
    2. Related to that. Once your cross is on the bottom, it should stay on the bottom. In this role you did the blue cross on top, so after that, green should always stay on top. I often see white and yellow on top. Advanced solvers do use tricks such as wide moves but these are to eliminate rotations. If you are going to rotate the cube, then there is never any need for any colour other than green on top.
    3. You are not very confident with your F2L cases. You do a couple of moves, pause for a second or two, then do a couple more moves, then pause again. Try stop and then trace the pieces you are solving through the next moves and plan what your next moves will be. You should be able to plan 7-8 moves in advance. Only start turning once you know what you will do.
    In summary, your biggest problems that you need to work on are:
    • Wasting a lot of time looking for pieces
    • Rotating far too often
    • Not planning enough moves in advance to be able to reach your full TPS
    • Haven't spent enough time becoming familiar with F2L cases.

GenTheThief and Kshitij Singh like this.
  4. Kshitij Singh

Kshitij Singh Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Jammu, India
    Thanks. That really helped.

5. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    /* Scramble */
    y2 D U R2 B R2 U2 L' D R U F' L U' F D2 U' R'

/* Solve */
    U x' L // cross
    U U z U' R2' U (x z') Dw y' x' x U' R U' R' U y L' U' L // first slot
    U y z Lw Lw2 Lw' Lw x' z' U' R U' R' U U L' U L U R R2' F F' R U y' Lw' U R Dw' R' U' R U R F (R' x') z' R' // second slot
    y' z R' z' Dw L' U' U' L U z Lw' x' U' R' U R z' y L' U' L // third slot
    y' U U y' R U R' (y z) R' U' U R' F R' F' R' U' R U // last slot
    z' y' F R U R' U' y L' // OLL (EO)
    x U' L U R' U' L' U Lw // OLL (CO)
    U' U' F F U' R L' x U U L' Lw U U L2 R2' U y' R2' // PLL

// View at alg.cubing.net

(reconstruction might be inaccurate near the beginning, since I was working without a scramble)

Turning speed isn't your bottleneck, efficiency is. It looks like you know the two basic F2L cases (where you insert with three moves), but you often fall back to inserting the corner then inserting the edge if it's a case you don't know, and like AlphaSheep pointed out, you spend a lot of time figuring out whether it's a case you know.

Doing corner-then-edge as a fallback isn't too bad, but your edge insertion alg sucks. Every time you use it, you rotate to put your cross on the left side first. Stop doing this. Learn one of the algs that don't require a rotation, e.g. R' F R F' R U R'.

Other than that, you also do way too many wrist turns. Wrist turns for L and R moves are fine (it's not like you have any other option), but wrist turns for F and D moves are bad and slow you down. Stop doing those. For F moves, use your thumbs and index fingers to push the layer instead, and for D moves, use your ring fingers. If you look at the edge orientation alg for 2-look OLL, you should be executing the last move directly as an F' (e.g. use your right thumb to push the DFR corner upwards), rather than rotating just so you can do a wrist turn.

Your U perm alg is also terrible. Try literally any other alg. Even the standard beginner's F2 U' M' U2 M U' F2 is better, but don't use that alg either! Do M2' U M U2 M' U M2' or R U' R U R U R U' R' U' R2. You can also check AlgDb for more last layer algs; you'll probably have to relearn quite a few cases with good algs instead of weird stuff you figured out on your own.

Bold indicates moves that ultimately didn't serve any purpose.

U x' L // cross
    U U z U' R2' U (x z') Dw y' x' x U' R U' R' U y L' U' L // first slot
    U y z Lw Lw2 Lw' Lw x' z' U' R U' R' U U L' U L U R R2' F F' R U y' Lw' U R Dw' R' U' R U R F (R' x') z' R' // second slot
    y' z R' z' Dw L' U' U' L U z Lw' x' U' R' U R z' y L' U' L // third slot
    y' U U y' R U R' (y z) R' U' U R' F R' F' R' U' R U // last slot
    z' y' F R U R' U' y L' // OLL (EO)
    x U' L U R' U' L' U Lw // OLL (CO)
    U' U' F F U' R L' x U U L' Lw U U L2 R2' U y' R2' // PLL

Doing moves for the sake of doing moves is a bad idea. Stop doing that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  6. Kshitij Singh

Kshitij Singh Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Jammu, India
    Okay... good analysis thanks dude

Okay, I did what u told... now my f2l is taking 43 secs!=(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
  7. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    But you missed the most important part of my first post.
    Every single thing you change will always slow you down. You have to practice and practice over and over before you will improve.

dnguyen2204 and Thom S. like this.
  8. pglewis

pglewis Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Cincinnati
    WCA:
    2016LEWI07
    You are in really good hands here, trust this advice you're getting. There are two things to keep in mind:

1) You need to develop new habits to the point where they're basically automatic. Like playing an instrument, when you learn a new scale or difficult passage it is initially slow and awkward. You have to think about every step and your muscles are not yet familiar with the new patterns.

2) You need to break old, bad habits that have become automatic. These habits can be slow and inefficient-- thus holding you back-- yet still be faster than new, better habits that you haven't fully developed.

The answer to both is focused practice.

9. Hmm. Never heard of it. Maybe try getting a valk3, Weilong gts 2, or mf3rs.

WillyTheWizard likes this.
  10. Crystal

Crystal Member

Dec 23, 2017
    UK
    You should use whichever method suits you're style best, but the standard method is CFOP and it is the one which most people know and use. More people would be able to help you on here with CFOP as more people know CFOP but it's really up to you. I managed to get sub 30 with no help from the forum and there will always be someone with the same method as you if you want to carry on with what you know then carry on, but you should probably decide before you're sub 30-20, so you don't change as you get good.

11. PapaSmurf

PapaSmurf Member

Jan 4, 2018
    If you ever need any help with zz or petrus, I’d be happy to help, but with cfop I’m probably the last person you want to talk to.:confused:

12. McubeS

McubeS Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You should be expecting your times to get slower as you choose to update your abilities.

Quit timing yourself too frequently. You should be only doing that when you want to assess how much you've learned from now and after mastering the things you want to learn.

Record your averages today, then after you feel that you have all of what you've learned down pat, then start another average.

If you keep bringing in the timer, your mistakes can become discouraging and you'll impede patience which defeats the main idea of improvement.

You need to be diligent and have patience to see through every problem to the end.

You're times are slower because you're playing with particular ideas that you can't master just yet. That's normal. This needs more time to figure out better finger tricks, etc.

Keep at it. Try bookmarking this thread, and implement everything we've been telling you. You did say that you'll do "every possible effort", so I'm sure you can do this.

:)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. I recently learned F2L. Before learning F2L, I was at a 42 second average (I also used 4LLL). Once I learned it I was at a 53 second average. My average dropped 11 seconds. I stopped timing myself for a week and did a lot of 3x3 and F2L. Once I started timing myself again, I was at 41 seconds. Its been 2 weeks since then and I am now sub 40! Try doing what I did.

14. Kshitij Singh

Kshitij Singh Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Jammu, India
    Thanks!
    Its been almost a week and now my average is 35.1 secs!
    THANKS GUYS!!!

15. Kshitij Singh

Kshitij Singh Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Jammu, India
    Now what else could I do instead of my look ahead

16. PapaSmurf

PapaSmurf Member

Jan 4, 2018
    sloshycomic123 likes this.