• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hazel

Premium Member
I average about 13.2ish seconds. My splits are (all approximated) 2, 7, 2.2, 2.3
I can do pretty much all of my LL algs sub-2, a few of them sub-1. I know full OLL, PLL, and COLL minus sune and antisune.
What should I work on?

greentgoatgal

I did look at the CFOP thread but it doesn't really match up with the way I've been learning it so I thought I'd make a separate thread.

I'm currently sub-60 (3x3) with a cube that isn't a speedcube and my PB is 40 seconds. I'm using CFOP with 2 look OLL and PLL. Is it best to work more on getting faster at F2L or try to learn 1 look OLL/PLL? And why?

1 look OLL has 57 algorithms and seems as though it'll take a long time to learn - how much time does 1 look save compared to 2 look and would it just be easier to work on F2L for now?

(Edit: I haven't really been cubing for that long)
What kind of cube do you have?

Draranor

Premium Member
WCA
2016REIC01
I average about 13.2ish seconds. My splits are (all approximated) 2, 7, 2.2, 2.3
I can do pretty much all of my LL algs sub-2, a few of them sub-1. I know full OLL, PLL, and COLL minus sune and antisune.
What should I work on?
Always work on f2l, it's one of the, if not the, most important parts of a solve. I don't know your typical movecount for cross, but try to work on optimizing that, and getting it between 1.5-2 seconds. Based on what you said about your LL execution times, I would say it would probably be a good idea to do some slow solves, and then work up your speed to try and minimize the pauses between algs. Hope this helps

AnYoNe

I am a new cuber. i got a cube a week ago, and that day i could solve it with some algorythms. now i know how to do f2l. Is it smart to put time in learning all the algorytms from oll and pll? I dont know how to get faster. please help me!

greentgoatgal

Oh my word. If you know f2l after one week, that is great. Just keep practicing at this point. If you feel like learning all and all, go for it :)

YellowZ

Hi,
I got a couple of questionsabout CFOP method to solve the cube, right now my averages usually seem to be around 40-50 seconds and I use an intuitive f2l method (so I dont really know algorithms of this part, only the two mains) Do learned algorithms help you to have lower solution time? also I usually do cross and f2l in about 30seconds and OLL and PLL in 10 max 20 seconds but when I see high level speedcubers using this method they use more time for the last two parts and less for cross and f2l, is that a my problem or it's just a personal variation?

thanks to everyone in advance

sorry if i made any grammar mistake, english is not my main language :)

greentgoatgal

Just practice. Stick with intuitive f2l, you will muscle memorize all the case eventually so you won't have to think about it so much. Learn fingertricking if you haven't already. And learn 4lll if you haven't already.

SamKennedy

I’m returning from a long break from cubing and currently practicing daily, mostly doing slow solves and practicing F2L lookahead and recognition.

Here are my average times for each stage of my solve:
Cross: 5.5 seconds
F2L: 16.8 seconds
Last Layer: 11.6 seconds

For last layer I do 2-look OLL, I currently know 11 of the PLL algorithms, so sometimes it’s a 2-look PLL as well.

Looking at my times, which is my weakest area? What should I focus my practice on?

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I’m returning from a long break from cubing and currently practicing daily, mostly doing slow solves and practicing F2L lookahead and recognition.

For last layer I do 2-look OLL, I currently know 11 of the PLL algorithms, so sometimes it’s a 2-look PLL as well.

Looking at my times, which is my weakest area? What should I focus my practice on?

The biggest gains will always be during F2L. I would also say that knowing full OLL and PLL would be an advantage.

WCA
2013BARK01

Okay, first I'd like to point out that this is a good question because it's specific.

So it looks like you average about 32. I think it's a good rule of thumb that your cross/f2l should take around 2/3 of the time and your ll should be the other third. Based on that alone, your last layer looks a bit slow, but not that bad. Try making sure you never do cube rotations during ll, only aufs. For cross, try doing bld cross until you can solve the cross entirely "in your head" before the solve, that could cut a few seconds, and try to learn more efficient f2l algs. Intuitive f2l can be good but some cases have really good algs that you just can't overlook.

F2LCub

It's best to spend more time practicing F2L. Try to plan out the cross during inspection so that will take up less time.
As for improving F2L, look ahead is very important, so if you're finding it hard to look ahead try slowing down a little.

SamKennedy

What are people's thoughts about inserting into slots using r U R' U' M and its variations (for inserting into other slots), as opposed to doing a cube rotation followed by a 3-move insert? Does avoiding a cube rotation save more time than the extra moves required for the algorithm?

Last edited:

greentgoatgal

What are people's thoughts about inserting into slots using r U R' U' M and its variations (for inserting into other slots), as opposed to doing a cube rotation followed by a 3-move insert? Does avoiding a cube rotation save more time than the extra moves required for the algorithm?
It definitely saves me time. I'm not the most efficient cube rotater, and when I do rotate the cube it totally messes with my look ahead.

YellowZ

Just practice. Stick with intuitive f2l, you will muscle memorize all the case eventually so you won't have to think about it so much. Learn fingertricking if you haven't already. And learn 4lll if you haven't already.
Hey! :) Thanks a lot for the tip, i was looking for some fingertricks tutorials but i really cant find One that shows precisely how to do It with most common algh, most of tutorials are Just Like: "Hey this is the alg and this is done slowly and this fingertricking!" That doesnt explain Much

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Hi Yellowz,

First of all, probably it's possible to get sub 20 with all the algorithms you know now. You are probably spending most of your time looking for pieces and patterns.

Yes, I do think learned algorithms help. In general, there's not 1 algorithm for each case, it helps to know more than 1 solution for one case, it helps doing things from multiple angles and sometimes canceling out moves. So do keep an eye out for extra algs, especially for cases you hate.

Other tips that might help:
1. Solve the cube slowly, and count the moves. As a beginner, you want to try to minimize the move count. Move count isn't everything, but it will help to know efficient solutions. Always keep looking for shortcuts. You can find a lot of F2L algs and shortcuts yourself. If you find one yourself, chances are you'll remember it better then when you learned it from a website.
2. Try to stop for a moment after the cross, and plan the solution for 2 F2L pairs. This also works best without a timer. This can improve lookahead. Planning and looking ahead helps to pick the easier pair and cut cube rotations. I said 'without timer' because you want to give your mind time to learn this. That's very difficult under time pressure.
3. Practice inspection and execution of Cross+1 pair (x-cross). Measure the execution with a timer, and try to beat your avg record for that 1 step. Try to plan the entire solution (of the x-cross) during inspection. Don't limit inspection to 15s. Just give yourself time. Your mind will get trained to look further into the solve during inspection.
4. Keep watching fast cubers for inspiration. I always felt that it helps. I am not sure how.
5. Find racing partners, to practice solving under pressure.
6. I don't know if you are color neutral, but if you are not, I'd suggest you give it try. When I started cubing, I could win comps without it, and I am now handicapped because I am not color neutral. I am trying to work on it, but not sure if I can ever become CN. Starting with a rubbish cross because you are not color neutral is... Stupid. If you get comfortable starting with any color, you can often benefit from an easy start, and you'll rarely have a very bad cross situation.
7. Enjoy being a newbie. You can still beat your record frequently, make sure you enjoy it!

I hope that helps, good luck!

YellowZ

Hi Yellowz,

First of all, probably it's possible to get sub 20 with all the algorithms you know now. You are probably spending most of your time looking for pieces and patterns.

Yes, I do think learned algorithms help. In general, there's not 1 algorithm for each case, it helps to know more than 1 solution for one case, it helps doing things from multiple angles and sometimes canceling out moves. So do keep an eye out for extra algs, especially for cases you hate.

Other tips that might help:
1. Solve the cube slowly, and count the moves. As a beginner, you want to try to minimize the move count. Move count isn't everything, but it will help to know efficient solutions. Always keep looking for shortcuts. You can find a lot of F2L algs and shortcuts yourself. If you find one yourself, chances are you'll remember it better then when you learned it from a website.
2. Try to stop for a moment after the cross, and plan the solution for 2 F2L pairs. This also works best without a timer. This can improve lookahead. Planning and looking ahead helps to pick the easier pair and cut cube rotations. I said 'without timer' because you want to give your mind time to learn this. That's very difficult under time pressure.
3. Practice inspection and execution of Cross+1 pair (x-cross). Measure the execution with a timer, and try to beat your avg record for that 1 step. Try to plan the entire solution (of the x-cross) during inspection. Don't limit inspection to 15s. Just give yourself time. Your mind will get trained to look further into the solve during inspection.
4. Keep watching fast cubers for inspiration. I always felt that it helps. I am not sure how.
5. Find racing partners, to practice solving under pressure.
6. I don't know if you are color neutral, but if you are not, I'd suggest you give it try. When I started cubing, I could win comps without it, and I am now handicapped because I am not color neutral. I am trying to work on it, but not sure if I can ever become CN. Starting with a rubbish cross because you are not color neutral is... Stupid. If you get comfortable starting with any color, you can often benefit from an easy start, and you'll rarely have a very bad cross situation.
7. Enjoy being a newbie. You can still beat your record frequently, make sure you enjoy it!

I hope that helps, good luck!
Thanks a lot :D

Zerksies

Definitely work on F2L. Watch a couple example solves on youtube. Stick with intuitive, there is really only 3 easy cases. I don't even see the point of learning the algs for F2L. I compared what i would do versus the Algs and i am Usually 1-2 turns faster. 10 seconds is not bad for OLL/PLL so you could be sub 20 really quick