• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to easily form a white cross (CFOP)

JanTheMan

If you find it difficult to form a white cross try this:
  1. turn the yellow side up.
  2. make a daisy, surround the yellow center with white edges
  3. look on the other side of the white edge line this color up with its center piece
  4. turn the side 180 degrees
  5. do this on all four edges
  6. you have formed a white cross
I hope that I helped someone with this.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Never understood the daisy cross method personally... if you have no trouble getting the white edges on the yellow side, why can't you just get them on the white side instead? I guess it's helpful if you're not good at getting them in the right place, but F' R F is really all you need to know how to do for that, and that's pretty intuitive for a lot of beginners.

WCA
2017WARR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I only teach the daisy to people who are having to much trouble forming the cross. Only one person I've ever tought learned the daisy. And there are some people who can do it straight away! I actually tought my brother how to solve the megaminx before he learnt to solve the 3x3. And he could solve the star straight away!

SenorJuan

Never understood the daisy cross method personally...

Surprising. I learnt the 'cross' the hard way, just with intuition, my only guide being the fact that if you do it 'right', you only need 6 or 7 turns to complete it. And after more than a decade, I'm still not sure I've mastered it.
I only came across the 'daisy method' fairly recently, and thought it was quite neat, and very suitable for beginners. It avoids the issue of having to learn your cube's colour sequence around the 'equator', you never have to rotate your D-layer to line up cross with the E-layer, and if you keep your 'daisy' on top, you end up making the cross on the bottom, which is one of the hard parts of proper cross-building. And the move-count isn't bad, it seems to be about 11 turns? Quite a number of half-turns, admittedly, but for such a simple method it's OK.