How to break in a cube

Discussion in 'How-to's, Guides, etc.' started by RampageCuber, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. xXdaveXsuperstarXx

xXdaveXsuperstarXx Member

Jun 7, 2009
    WCA:
    2009MURR01
    Right :cool:...... And my brother hit's the cube until it's "broken-in".

2. oneofthosedudes

oneofthosedudes Member

Aug 5, 2009
    YouTube:
    oneofthosedudes
    rofl 4chan reference! XD

anyway... i might try this with a new cube, because it seems like theres something missing from my cubes... except my DIY new type a, the 1 thats "unpoppable" cuz its awesome.

3. Me

Me Member

Jul 13, 2006
    New Mexico
    WCA:
    2006WRIG01
    YouTube:
    thrawst
    Never considered this but if really want to destroy the cube put some sand in with the vaseline. It would be like releasing and atom-bomb to the internals.

Have you actually tried this? I don't think a cube can be psychologically taken from a ~40 second average to just over 20 seconds.

I go into depth with the whole sand concept here, I recommend a couple of you take a look at it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTDblHV-NMU

4. Shazbut

Shazbut Member

Oct 27, 2008
    I found out that the best way to break in a storebought cube, is to paint the inside red, then throw some glitter in there while it is still drying. When it is dry, tap the cube onto the ground 2 times, and repeat "there is no place like home."

Then you go and buy a new cube and use it insane amounts until it feels pretty good, then use some lube and you are good to go.

5. how-to-solve-a-rubix

how-to-solve-a-rubix Member

Aug 6, 2009
    i never break it. i fear it will not fit properly :(

6. arud45

arud45 Member

Mar 23, 2008
    The sand thing works.

7. Logan

Logan Alot of Azure

May 5, 2009
    Veelox
    WCA:
    2009KELL02
    YouTube:
    ljrox123
    Ive tried that! It worked great but it was a ***** to clean out.

8. Dubslow

Dubslow Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Dumb question, incoming!

Using the guides in the hardware forum here, I recently bought an Alpha 3-f cube from iCubeMart. I got it Wednesday, fully assembled; I read that it will take some breaking in, and more importantly, that the tension should be tighter than average. The thing is, I just took apart the cube, and I have no idea how to adjust the tension. The core is yellow, and I'm not sure if/how to remove the centers, or if that's necessary to adjust the tension. So... what do? :)

9. Owen

Owen Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Just remove the center caps and adjust the screws to a good tension. No need to disassemble the cube.

10. LNZ

LNZ Premium Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Adelaide, SA
    YouTube:
    Darkangel2347
    On big cubes, do emulation solving for smaller NxNXN cubes or solve cuboids you may or may not actually have. For example on a 7x7x7 cube,
    you can emulate a 3x3x7 cuboid. On a 4x4x4 cube, you can solve a 2x2x4 cuboid.

11. Dubslow

Dubslow Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Oooohhhh!!! That's why there's notches in the center pieces :)

Thanks. Now, the problem is that the caps are really hard to get off... but I can figure that out on my own.

12. Cuberrism

Cuberrism Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Well, I break in 3x3s by solving it until the stock lube is not visible anymore, which means it has dried up. After that, I clean out the leftover residue, and solve 100 times, or one day for me. After that, lube with anything EXCEPT Maru lube and solve until it becomes smoother and a bit quieter, then you choose whether you want to soften the plastic with Maru or not.

Dom likes this.
  13. Dom

Dom Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Oklahoma City
    WCA:
    2016DOMI06
    That's kinda what I do, except, first:
    I take it apart and feel each piece for sharp parts, then I carefully sand off that flash.
    then I put it all back together on a little bit tight tensions and solve it constantly for a week.
    After that, I take it all apart again, then clean everything with a paper towel damp with alcohol.
    Next, I put it all back together with a normal lubing procedure, and loosen the tensions to what I like, then it's done.

14. Smiles

Smiles Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Canada
    YouTube:
    /channel/UCqTVfT9JQqhA6_Hi_h_h97Q
    Guys this is from 2009 everything changeddddd

15. Dom

Dom Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Oklahoma City
    WCA:
    2016DOMI06
    yes, but it's still a pertinent topic, I think.

Cuberrism likes this.
  16. Cuberrism

Cuberrism Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Well, I don't get flash, so I skip that part. I don't have rubbing alcohol too, so I can't reliably clean all the lube out, but it still works fine for me