• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How fast are the over 40's in competitions?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I finally got an official sub-1 4x4 last weekend at BeCubed Summer 2018. That gets me into 5th place average and 10th place single on the over 40s ranking for 4x4. After those first four solves, I didn't think I was going to make it. Luckily that 5th solve went smooth enough to get me there.

Best Single: 58.93
Average: 1:05.68
Solves: 1:03.35 | 1:01.53 | 1:13.78 | 1:12.16 | 58.93

Good to hear you are still active Mike. :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've added you to the rankings.
I just noticed I'm not on the list anymore? Did you drop just me, or did others get dropped too?

Edit: I just checked - it looks like I got dropped in the same commit (2 commits ago) when Arnaud was added. And it looks like it was just me who was dropped. Would you please add me back? :)

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just noticed I'm not on the list anymore? Did you drop just me, or did others get dropped too?

Edit: I just checked - it looks like I got dropped in the same commit (2 commits ago) when Arnaud was added. And it looks like it was just me who was dropped. Would you please add me back? :)

Sorry about that Mike!

You're now back on the list.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't forget that only results after you've turned 40 counts.
Yes, I understood that and because of that many of my PB's will not be in the list (FMC, SQ1, 3OH). I have been pretty inactive the last few years both in competitions and on the forum but I am now getting back into it. I might actually compete in the weekly competition again from now on. I need to get a few more 1st places ;)

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great to see you back @AvGalen and great to see you on the oldies rankings. Was a pleasure to meet you at a couple of comps a number of years ago. Do you still use AVG for 5 and up mate?

More competition can only be a good thing ;)

I foresee Ron van Bruchem taking 1st spot on 6x6 in a weeks time, he is practicing daily and is globally a lot faster at home than me. he even had a 2:30.xy single this week.

My next comp is next month, Stratford Open and there is no 6x6 and 7x7 there so won't be able to improve my rankings on those till UKC in October. Aims for Stratford are sub 14.5 3x3 average, sub 1:45 5x5 average and sub 2:00 megaminx average :)

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great to see you back @AvGalen and great to see you on the oldies rankings. Was a pleasure to meet you at a couple of comps a number of years ago. Do you still use AVG for 5 and up mate?

More competition can only be a good thing ;)

I foresee Ron van Bruchem taking 1st spot on 6x6 in a weeks time, he is practicing daily and is globally a lot faster at home than me. he even had a 2:30.xy single this week.

My next comp is next month, Stratford Open and there is no 6x6 and 7x7 there so won't be able to improve my rankings on those till UKC in October. Aims for Stratford are sub 14.5 3x3 average, sub 1:45 5x5 average and sub 2:00 megaminx average :)
Yes, still using AvG, aiming for (4/5/6/7) 1 minute, 1:45, 3:15, 5:15 averages. I am also not going to be at a comp with 6 and 7 for a bit so it will be easy for Ron to overtake me. So I came back just in time ;)

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I competed in AZCubing Summer 2018 today and it looks like I set new 7x7 records for the over 40s.
These were fantastic times for me. I've been averaging closer to 5:30 of late but I have been practicing 7x7 almost daily.
The cube was a magnetized MF7S. It's super smooth and well broken in.

5:04.83 | 5:13.51 | 5:14.28

Average 5:10.87
Best: 5:04.83

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I competed in AZCubing Summer 2018 today and it looks like I set new 7x7 records for the over 40s.
These were fantastic times for me. I've been averaging closer to 5:30 of late but I have been practicing 7x7 almost daily.
The cube was a magnetized MF7S. It's super smooth and well broken in.

5:04.83 | 5:13.51 | 5:14.28

Average 5:10.87
Best: 5:04.83
my goal for next month. But with my current cube (old moyu?) I have 1 or 2 pops per solve and am happy to reach 5:30

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
my goal for next month. But with my current cube (old moyu?) I have 1 or 2 pops per solve and am happy to reach 5:30

Good luck! There are some good 7x7s now. The MF7S is a great improvement over the MoYu if you're on a budget and I like it better than the WuJi. I'll probably pick up a Hays 7x7 M when it comes out.

Next up for me is the AZCubing Big Cube Brawl in November which only features 4x4, 5x5, 6x6 and 7x7. I think I'll focus on 6x6 for now.

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am not on a budget and I bought a very nice set of stickerless puzzles at the Liechtenstein competition. Unfortunately my children dropped them in the sandbox and even after cleaning they never got good again. The 4x4x4 now has misaligning centers and the 7x7x7 has a broken outer center. 5x5x5 and 6x6x6 are decent but need another cleaning and lubing.
If someone can recommend an excellent set of 5/6/7 (magnetic) that would be great.

Opposite for Mega/Pyra/SQ1/Skewb/KiloMinx...they all turn too easily for my wristing style and I often have them doing unwanted turns. I am very slowly getting used to them and expect to get back to my old level in the next month and faster by the end of the year.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
If someone can recommend an excellent set of 5/6/7 (magnetic) that would be great.

My big cube mains right now (all magnetized by me):

QiYi WuShuang 5x5
This is a very common main. I wish it was a little faster but this is a good cube when magnetized.

Cyclone Boys G6 6x6
This is an odd choice and I probably have the only magnetized G6 in the world. It's big and it weighs a ton but it is magnificently stable. The combination of smooth turning and strong magnetization is great. It helps me feel confident and I can focus on look ahead rather than worrying about locking and popping.

MoFang JiaoShi MF7S
The magnetization came out a little lighter than I wanted but overall this is a fine puzzle. It turns much smoother than the WuJi. My current tensions results in the occasional pop when I haven't warmed up. We'll see how the Hays 7 compares.

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My big cube mains right now (all magnetized by me):

QiYi WuShuang 5x5
This is a very common main. I wish it was a little faster but this is a good cube when magnetized.

Cyclone Boys G6 6x6
This is an odd choice and I probably have the only magnetized G6 in the world. It's big and it weighs a ton but it is magnificently stable. The combination of smooth turning and strong magnetization is great. It helps me feel confident and I can focus on look ahead rather than worrying about locking and popping.

MoFang JiaoShi MF7S
The magnetization came out a little lighter than I wanted but overall this is a fine puzzle. It turns much smoother than the WuJi. My current tensions results in the occasional pop when I haven't warmed up. We'll see how the Hays 7 compares.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for pre-magnetized cubes because I normally don't pay attention to my hardware that much. I will have to dive into the hardware subforums and online shops to see what is available