• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Higher Order Cube Difficulty Poll

Are higher order cubes more difficult to solve as they get bigger? (5x5+)

• Total voters

Daryl

WCA
2010ARIA01
5x5+ they don't get difficult, it just consume more time, more edges to pair..
It just difficult to solve it quickly (at least for myself)

JasonDL13

WCA
2014LEWI02
There's a difference between time consuming and hard. A 4x4 is easier then a 5x5 because of parity. There for, a 7x7 is easier then a 4x4. No parity, just more pieces to solve, so it takes more time.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No parity? Have you ever solved a 7x7x7? There's parity in each of the two wing orbits, just like the 5x5x5 but twice as much. The fact that you have to do it during edge pairing (if you use reduction) doesn't change that.

Besides parity, though, I'd say that 7x7x7 is quite a bit harder than 4x4x4 because of centers. They're pretty much trivial on the 4x4x4, but on the 7x7x7 you have to deal with building separate rows and combining them, fixed centers, and obliques (and in addition you can't always build the last two centers just by doing row by row).

I think the dividing line is after 7x7x7 - by that point you've seen every piece type together, so there's really nothing new to throw at you.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the line is before 7x7. A lot of people seem to think the line is 5x5, and I don't know where they're coming from either. The last new things are parities and obliques, and both of those happen at 6x6. What new piece type is there on 7x7? It's a 6x6 that has middle edges and plus centers, both of which 5x5 prepares you for. 6x6 is the line.

I_<3_SCS

Juss saeing, this is a tewible way to conduct wesearch. The adience may be wight, but you have no idea who we are exept that we like cbing. Then, what if I just put a wandom answer to your poll to scwew with your wesults? Additioally, I don't even see how this could be a science fair projekt??? Lastly, you're leading us on... like you put lading answers that skew reslts like a like a dat won dat saes dis:
No, They were easy after 5x5.

cum on now, this is compleely unscientfic. u shud do a prper exeriment, damet.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Juss saeing, this is a tewible way to conduct wesearch. The adience may be wight, but you have no idea who we are exept that we like cbing. Then, what if I just put a wandom answer to your poll to scwew with your wesults? Additioally, I don't even see how this could be a science fair projekt??? Lastly, you're leading us on... like you put lading answers that skew reslts like a like a dat won dat saes dis:

This thread was just bumped 3 years, so the original question is irrelevant. More importantly, if you ever want anybody to take you seriously then spell properly, and if you want to make a joke then wait until you think of something witty.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Is this Elmer Fudd? This is the kind of comment you would find on a popular youtube video, not on a moderated forum.